PDA

View Full Version : A Fire inside (AFI)

escobert
02-17-2004, 03:10 PM
So lests have a little AFI thread shall we? Whats your favorite CD and song?
My favorite CD it black sails in the sunset and song is either god called in sick today or silver and cold.

Pure Strife
02-17-2004, 03:15 PM
My fave CD is Sing The Sorrow, but Seeing as I only have that and The Art Of Drowning I don't have much to choose from.

Fave song is probably Paper Aeroplanes.

IGN64skanker
02-17-2004, 07:36 PM
My fav AFI CD is Shut Your Mouth and Open Your Eyes, with my favorite song being "A Single Second". I saw them a while back and when they did that song, Nick 13 came out to do the vocals with them. It was unbelievably awesome. "This Celluloid Dream" is #2 for me, I think.

Bulldog
02-17-2004, 07:59 PM
Heh. Reminds me of good ol' JustinSane/PC Fascist/Pacifist Boy or whatever the kid called himself. Why did he ever get banned, eh?

Haven't heard all their songs, but I do like A Single Second.

IGN64skanker
02-18-2004, 02:25 AM
That kid got banned? Haha. He was way cool. We was always talking about how punk rock we were and stuff. Or something like that, anyways...

Tokki Wartooth
02-18-2004, 04:25 AM
He got banned because he was RACIST. Against CHRISTIANS. >:</b>\

I don't really like AFI, but I think their newest CD is pretty alright.

LH
02-18-2004, 06:40 PM
AFI's always been in my top three or five favorite bands for as long as I can remember, but Sing the Sorrow puts them on an even higher shelf. They proved that they can make extremely unique music while being commercially successful. One band I never expected to catch on was AFI mainly because Davey Havok's voice doesn't really fit the mainstream stereotype, but I think signing with Dreamworks helped a ton.

...biased against Christians? Ban me too.

Leeza
02-18-2004, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by Tokkiquil
He got banned because he was RACIST. Against CHRISTIANS. >:</b>\
You speak this as if it were fact...which it is not.

I like AFI whenever I hear them on the radio, but for the life of me, I couldn't name you any song titles.

IGN64skanker
02-20-2004, 12:13 AM
Regardless of why Justin Sane got banned... which I would still like to know...

AFI was huge before they signed to Dreamworks. They sold out every show in every city they played, everyone knew who they were, and they were making tons of money. Without signing to Dreamworks they might not be playing huge amphitheaters, but they would still be big, on KROQ and probably on MTV. Oh well. Who knows how things would've gone. They still rock, so it doesn't matter.

black orb
02-20-2004, 05:01 AM
>>> I discovered AFI with "Sing the Sorrow"..
and yeah, great lyrics, great music, great band..

Spatvark
02-20-2004, 02:43 PM
Favourite song comes down to a three way tie between Morningstar, Clove Smoke Catharsis and The Great Disappointment, with their best album being Sing the Sorrow. Gotta say though, their second and third albums are pretty crap, though their first one is decent enough. Then they seemed to find their sound with Black Sails in the Sunset and been doing good stuff since then...

And daddy is right, AFI made it pretty big with Black Sails in the Sunset and were doing brilliantly as it was; Sing the Sorrow just pushed them that extra little bit further =P

IGN64skanker
02-21-2004, 12:09 AM
There is no way their second and third albums are crap. Both of those are so good, just not anything like their present style. In their genres, they are good music. It seriously is its own genre nowadays. "Old AFI" is a valid musical style. It is used to describe so many bands nowadays, it's rediculous. Anyway, they rock...

Tokki Wartooth
02-21-2004, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by LH
...biased against Christians? Ban me too.
Racism and biasiam are two very different things!

PS. Leeza, were you even registered when Justin got banned? ;p

And back on topic...AFI. Yeah.

Leeza
02-21-2004, 07:18 AM
Yes, I sure was registered. Now let's keep this thread on topic please.

escobert
02-21-2004, 05:01 PM
I'm starting to liek the song Death of seasons a lot.

black orb
02-21-2004, 06:58 PM
>>> All the STS songs rock, Death of Seasons is my least fav from the album and I still think is great..

escobert
02-21-2004, 10:31 PM
Yeah, the entire CD is great,

Angyles Cerddoriaeth
02-22-2004, 04:41 PM
the entire sing the sorrows cd is awesome. art of drowning, black sails..they are all great. davey is as good in concert as i was told, their performances are excellent.

Jack
02-23-2004, 08:56 PM
AFI..........agggghhhh

Over here, stupid teens (I.E: my friends xD) Label it wrongly and now I can't stand them "suddenly" liking them. I mean, i liked the Pumpkins and now someoens going on how great they were and they only have one album "Adore" or their concept one......hate rages inside

Anyway, AFI, are pretty good, when I dont have some dumb guy saying "I love that, it's punk!".....

F*** 'em their dumb......all the goths i know only listen to Marilyn Manson and call themselves Goths.....hahaha

AFI are good, and Girls Not Grey is my fave

black orb
02-25-2004, 07:02 AM
>>> But some previous AFI albums are Punk indeed, they even made Misfit`s covers like "Halloween".

LH
02-26-2004, 05:45 PM
Do any of you guys have any AFI art on your body? I've got the Nephilim from the Art of Drowning CD on my right shoulder. I still can't believe how much they've progressed. Like I said, they were one of my favorite bands before Sing the Sorrow, but now that that album is out it's the only AFI album I listen to and I do it on a daily basis. Sing the Sorrow, Bad Religion's "Against the Grain," Tool's "Lateralus" and Pennywise's "About Time" are my favorite albums of all time, with Sing the Sorrow as my single favorite ever. Even the B-sides are amazing.

Really, I could care less what someone else labels AFI as because to me they transcend genre. They really defy being categorized simply because they are so unique.

Oh yeah, you guys must live in more open-minded areas because I can remember when I was in high school and I was one of very few people who actually knew of and like AFI. (The handful of other kids who knew of them referred to them as "crap" or worse. :D I could probably check in on those kids now and they'd be the biggest fans in the world. :rolleyes2 )

Originally posted by Tokkiquil
Racism and biasiam are two very different things!

Hey! I had to say biased because I was left wondering how you could be racist against a group of people who aren't a race. ;)

Harmless Pigeon
02-26-2004, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by black orb
they even made Misfit`s covers like "Halloween".

I love that song lol

Sephex
02-26-2004, 10:10 PM
AFI is alright. I do like some of thier songs, but I don't like them enough to go out and buy one of thier albums. I rather listen to The Cure anyway if I am going to listen to something like that (you can hear the obvious influence The Cure had on them in thier newer albums). The Cure is a much, much better band (yes, I am aware AFI covered 'The Hanging Garden', and yes, I liked it).

IGN64skanker
02-28-2004, 08:11 PM
I want an AFI tat so bad. I wanted the leaves and thorns from the STS special edition with the DVD and everything, where they're all red and awesome and stuff. But my friend got it done and I'm sure lots of other people did... too many people with AFI tats.