PDA

View Full Version : Strange monster.

FDuch
02-18-2004, 02:33 PM
On 2 and 3 disks i met a strange monster at Alexandria's Castle's left library. You can walk to the left-bottom bookshelf and see "?". Answering 2 questions will begin the battle with a giant book "Alexandria". It has some powerfull spells like knife and page storm. When it's attacked it opens at random pages, and as I noticed when it opens at pages above 110 there is a blue Tantarian (there is a 4-level card with it).
The question is how to kill it and its stats, items, etc.

Big D
02-18-2004, 07:46 PM
I always used Haste to keep my characters moving, and kept their HP high. Vivi's Bio spell is very effective, but only once you've located the Tantarian itself. You might want to use regular attacks when the book's closed. Freya's Jump attack is good, especially her Trance attack, since she's temporarily protected from harm.

Aphelion
02-19-2004, 12:58 PM
I couldn't see it in Alexandria Castle. I am not very well in exploring. And I really have to start a new game.

SeeDRankLou
02-20-2004, 11:37 PM
I think it's better to fight Tantarian in Chapter 3 when you have more available party members. I would use Zidane, Freya, Quina, and Amarant, just because of their skills. But use four characters who can cause a lot of damage by other means than physical attacks. Vivi, Garnet and Eiko are also good for this, but they can require a lot of MP. It's your call, just don't use Steiner.

Have everyone equipped with Antibody, this is a must. Auto-Regen/Potion would be good since you probably won't have a healer in the party, and Freya's Reis's Wind can only do so much if you use her. If you are going to use Amarant, equip him with Poison Knuckles and Spare Change.

Ok, so Tantarian will start out as a closed book. You want to cause close to but not more than 200 damage. Amarant's Sparge Change has a good chance of doing this in one blow. Freya's Jump works well here too. If you go over 200 damage the damage total will reset. It has some pretty powerful moves in this form, I use Quina's White Wind a lot here. A summoner's cure/a/aga (I don't know how powerful it can be at this point) would be nice here too, but not necessary with Auto-Regen. To make this easier, make one character attack. Wait for that character to finish the attack to see if the book opens. If not, attack again. You don't want the book to open and do the next physical attack in line. This is because when the book opens, it's defenses go way down, but if you physically attack it the book will close again, and you have to start all over. So, when the book open, unleash the skills and black magic and summoning. Have the summoners summon. Have Zidane either keep Stealing or use Thievery, if he goes into Trance then use Dyne to speed the battle along. Have Freya use Lancet. Have Quina perform some Blue Magic, Frog Drop works well if you have powered it up. Have Amarant use Spare Change, it will do a lot more damage now. Have Vivi cast powerful spells. I believe Bio would be your most powerful spell at this point, I'm not sure. And the best part, in the open book form, Tantarian only uses a Bio spell on the whole party. But with Antibody, it won't hurt you at all. So kill it as fast as you can. If the book closes again by itself, you have to start all over. Don't bother stealing the Demon's Mail, the odds of success are not on your side at all, even with Bandit. You don't need one until later, and at that time you can simply buy one.

And that's it.

PeTeRL90
02-21-2004, 04:12 AM
"I would use Zidane, Freya, Quina, and Amarant, just because of their skills."

There's a slight problem with that. You HAVE to use Zidane, Vivi, Freya, and Amarant if you're doing it in Disc 3, and Zidane, Vivi, Freya, and Steiner if you're doing it in Disc 2.

I'm having trouble with it right now anyways.

SeeDRankLou
02-21-2004, 11:30 PM
OMG, you're right, I'm sorry. It's been ages since I played this game. I thought you had control of who were the party members at the end of disc 2. So...yeah.