PDA

View Full Version : Braces

Dingo Jellybean
02-19-2004, 12:46 AM
Anyone of you have braces? Or rather, anyone older than 18 have braces? Because that's the situation I'm in here.

I just got my ceramic braces, so you can only see the wire, but I have to wear rubber bands in my mouth and it's hella annoying. Not only that, I have to wear bite plates since I have an overbite...so I can't even chew. My meals consist of ice cream, jello, oatmeal, soup, and mash potatoes. Ugh...I can't believe I have 2 more years of this...I'm thin enough and eating all these watery foods will make me even more skinnier...@#$%!!!!! But eh...I could be worst.

Kirobaito
02-19-2004, 12:51 AM
I used to have braces. I got them off in January. That's hell's way of making you eat. Of course, I'm in high school, so it's the norm pretty much. What I can't stand is those 40-and-50 year olds that wear braces. What are they trying to pull? But sorry to hear you get them.

TheAbominatrix
02-19-2004, 12:55 AM
I had braces on my front four teeth many years ago, and a few different kind of retainers. We stopped when we ran out of money, though.

Evelia
02-19-2004, 12:58 AM
I currently have braces. It's my second time having them... I had them for 2 1/2 years before and got them off in 8th grade, but I didn't wear my retainer. I didn't know they actually meant it when they said my teeth would shift back if I didn't wear it religiously. ;) So I got them back on two months ago... I don't like them, but they'll be off within a year if all goes well. And I won't be self conscious about my teeth anymore.

Even though they're painful and they make me look twelve, I don't mind too much because my dad was nice enough to pay for them twice.

Yamaneko
02-19-2004, 01:02 AM
I used to have braces. I only wear my retainer at night. I should wear it all the time though, but I don't like to.

White Raven
02-19-2004, 02:22 AM
I'm 19 and I have braces. I've had them for nearly 6 years. I got them in the summer between grade 8 and grade 9, so all the people in highschool have never seen me without wires in my mouth. But right now, as I finish my 1st year at University, I'm in the final stages of the whole brace thing. I have elastic bands connecting my 2 jaws, so that I close properly. But I think in the long run it will be worth it for sure. The only downside is the annoyance of removing the elastics when I'm eating or partaking in activities with my grilfriend;).

PeTeRL90
02-19-2004, 02:51 AM
Oh man, I really hated my braces. I got them on during my Sophomore year of high school, and got them off near the end of my senior year. The spacers they made me wear, oh man, I really hated those.

Am I glad to be rid of those death-traps.

Jebus
02-19-2004, 02:56 AM
I need braces, some of my teeth are out of line. Its even worse on my lower jaw, one or two of my teeth have almost been pushed completely out.

Peegee
02-19-2004, 03:09 AM
A word of advice: put up with it. When I had braces for the first time I hated them and as a result I ended up with really dirty teeth. It wasn't until my parents 'invested' in an electric toothbrush that my teeth became presentable. The elastics are annoying, but you'll get over those too.

I'm glad it's all over.

Logan
02-19-2004, 03:57 AM
I had them, and hated them. I rarely wore the elastics, but they couldn't tell. You should wear your retainer though, because I didn't, and I had to get a new one because the old one didn't fit and it sucked. A lot.

eternalshiva
02-19-2004, 04:15 AM
That sounds really gross PG :/ *can;t even sexor you*

I never had them but a friend of mine was doomed with 8 years of it, she just got them off last year. My husband's twin didn;t wear his retainer and his teeth went back to crooked. Good thing I got the smart twin xD

Shlup
02-19-2004, 04:50 AM
I had braces for about a year and a half in high school. I didn't need them. I didn't want them, but I wasn't given a choice. The one thing they were supposed to do, since my teeth were already straight, they didn't do. Now I've been left with scaring and discoloration on my teeth, and my jaw pops every single time I open my mouth which I'm told is likely to cause problems when I'm older.

animee_
02-19-2004, 05:23 AM
I have never had braces but I want to get them.
The idea of having braces doesn't really bother me at all, even at my age I don't care if I have them.
My teeth are just slighty uneven and it kinda annoys me, so I want them to be perfect and if that means having to have braces then I will gladly have them...

Garland
02-19-2004, 05:32 AM
I used to have braces - for 3 years at least. If you think I'm ugly now, you should've seen me in elementary school and junior high. I had a horrible overbite, and extra large beaver-like front teeth. Braces did wonders. I actually have a perfectly normal mouth. It was painful most of the time, and there were complications that eventually required surgery, but it was worth it.

Peegee
02-19-2004, 05:41 AM
My teeth are straight and clean now, you pervert

Mikztsu
02-19-2004, 08:19 AM
I'm actually pondering of getting braces. I wonder why dentist never forced me to use them. My front teeth has kinda grown diagonally on the other front tooth, and I have some other tooth which just doesn't seem right. :\

Maxico
02-19-2004, 10:01 AM
Got 'em about a month and 1/5 ago. Wanna pry em out now. Such a let down. They dont conduct elecricity well and they're not magnetic :( . well only 16 1/5 months to go. That sounds bad.

Breine
02-19-2004, 02:04 PM
Nope... I don't have them, never had and probably never will... The dentist says I have nice teeth :D

Skogs
02-19-2004, 03:55 PM
I had 'em for just under two years, from year 9 to year 11. I've still got a metal bar behind my lower six front teeth. That'll stay there indefinately, but it's not really visible (except at bizarre angles) and doesn't really bother me at all. I'm glad all that crapness os over.

:D <-- Skogs' teeth now

Numisma
02-19-2004, 04:23 PM
I had braces for 26 months; halloween in 4th grade through xmas in 6th grade. then i got a retainer, but i didn't fare well w/ that over the years. kept losing them. oh, and my tooth enamel was so bad that when i had the braces, i had to have the molar-type bands on ALL of my teeth, which in turn left nasty icky stains on my teeth, and those are still present on quite a few. only a few teeth look presentable these days, even after 2 professional bleach jobs and some damn expensive plastic veneers (6 of them, at $200 a f***ing tooth). and while they've shifted a little on the bottom, my teeth are mostly straight, enough to make me happy.

m4tt
02-19-2004, 04:39 PM
I had braces in middle school and half of highschool. I've had retainers since then. I have one cemented to my lower jaw, and I had a removeable one for my top, but I lost it. Kinda pointless really.

If I ever get jaw surgery, I'll need braces again for a few more years.

Dr Unne
02-19-2004, 04:45 PM
I never had braces. I don't believe in such things, and my parents don't either. I don't believe in going through years of pain just to look similar to an arbitrary standard of beauty. Why not just tell your kid "Hey, you're ugly, you need medical treatments to make you look normal". What does that tell a kid?

And what are the benefits of braces? Straighter teeth, for what? Will it find you a spouse? Will it get you a job? Will it make people like you? You can have teeth like a Greek god, and if you're a jerk, I still won't like you. Maybe those thousands of dollars and years of pain should be put to better use. For example, put it towards college tuition or something.

My teeth aren't straight, and that's the way I likes it. If I had children, I would never subject them to having braces.

Yamaneko
02-19-2004, 05:48 PM
I wanted them. *shrug*

Orestes
02-19-2004, 06:14 PM
I had retainers and braces from about 5th grade to 8th grade... Wasn't fun at all.

Then after breaking my jaw in two places during the accident I had a whole bunch of metal in my mouth. Much more painful than braces. -_-

Dingo Jellybean
02-19-2004, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by Dr Unne
I never had braces. I don't believe in such things, and my parents don't either. I don't believe in going through years of pain just to look similar to an arbitrary standard of beauty. Why not just tell your kid "Hey, you're ugly, you need medical treatments to make you look normal". What does that tell a kid?

And what are the benefits of braces? Straighter teeth, for what? Will it find you a spouse? Will it get you a job? Will it make people like you? You can have teeth like a Greek god, and if you're a jerk, I still won't like you. Maybe those thousands of dollars and years of pain should be put to better use. For example, put it towards college tuition or something.

My teeth aren't straight, and that's the way I likes it. If I had children, I would never subject them to having braces.

Well, for some people, braces can fix a couple of things. Some people when they open their jaw it "pops" a bit, and that creates friction on the joints on the jaw...which can wear it down over the years, making it harder to chew properly.

Also, with crooked teeth, it's harder to clean because in my case, I couldn't floss between a certain area of my teeth since the tooth got in the way. I mean at first all I thought braces were for were for straighter teeth, and while the most part they are...they do make it a lot easier to keep your teeth clean...though I must admit, $5200 to make your teeth easier to clean is steep...and the inconvenience of it for 2 years is absurd.

White Raven
02-19-2004, 09:07 PM
My parents insurence paid for virtually all of my orthidontistry. And my teeth were the worse my orthadontist had ever seen. I had teeth behind teeth, sort of like a shark.

So far, they've taken out 4 teeth from the top and 4 from the bottom, put in a spacer which I had to crank every night, put in a stupid retainer for a little bit, and now elastics, which make me close my jaw properly...I think it will be worth it in the end...I will post pictures of whats in my mouth right now as soon as I find my camera...and if anyone would like to see the teeth they pulled I kept two of em...pretty long onces theyt be.

Shoeberto
02-19-2004, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by Dingo_Jellybean
Anyone of you have braces? Or rather, anyone older than 18 have braces? Because that's the situation I'm in here.

I just got my ceramic braces, so you can only see the wire, but I have to wear rubber bands in my mouth and it's hella annoying. Not only that, I have to wear bite plates since I have an overbite...so I can't even chew. My meals consist of ice cream, jello, oatmeal, soup, and mash potatoes. Ugh...I can't believe I have 2 more years of this...I'm thin enough and eating all these watery foods will make me even more skinnier...@#$%!!!!! But eh...I could be worst.
<font color="#009999">
I had bite blockers in like fifth grade. When you're getting used to them, chewing is . But trust me, you will figure out how to chew solids eventually.

I didn't like braces because they never cut the wires at the back right. On the left side of my mouth, the wire stuck out at the back and cut up the inside of my mouth. Then when they did cut it back more, it was so torn up back there that the brackets alone irritated it. I'm really glad to be out of them.

Catskills_Felix
02-19-2004, 11:40 PM
Kicked in the mouth twice in 2nd grade, so my left canine and one tooth left of my right canine are both extremely high-set in my gums, sort of like when one tooth grows in over a baby tooth that didn't get yanked.

Now I'm a sophomore in high school, still haven't had anything done because we didn't have the money for it. At this point I just assume to say that I'll never get it fixed. It's okay though, I don't feel self-conscious, because they're pretty much covered by my upper lip (though you can see the bulge under my lip when I close my mouth).

SomethingBig
02-20-2004, 01:30 AM
I've had mine for little over than a year, now, and the only problem I have with them is getting food stuck in them and the occasional nurse that doesn't cut the wire in the back short enough, which causes my gums to get scratched up. Trust me, you'll get used to them. You'll have monthly tightenings, which hurt your teeth like a female dog, but you get used to those, too.:p Don't worry. Hang in there, bud. If I can, you certainly can.