PDA

View Full Version : Which was the darkest Final Fantasy?

Loony BoB
02-21-2004, 05:23 PM
We were just talking about it in the chatroom (weird).

Personally, I think FFVII.

Psychotic
02-21-2004, 05:26 PM
I think FFVII was the darkest FF, however, I can't exactly say FFIV or FFVI was all happy and sunshine.

Bahamut2000X
02-21-2004, 05:26 PM
FFVII definatly. Any game with a giant bloody snake impaled on a tree stake thingy has got to be incredibly dark.

Loony BoB
02-21-2004, 05:27 PM
*adds a poll*

Kirobaito
02-21-2004, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by Bahamut2000X
FFVII definatly. Any game with a giant bloody snake impaled on a tree stake thingy has got to be incredibly dark.

Mr.Money
02-21-2004, 05:29 PM
Final Fantasy VIII. Sure, Selphie and them seemed happy but if you really looked at them, deep down inside it was all dark. Extremely dark.

DocFrance
02-21-2004, 06:03 PM
Personally, I don't see how FFVIII could be even remotely close to being dark.

For me, it's either FFVI or FFVII.

Breine
02-21-2004, 06:46 PM
I'm gonna flow with the stream here and say Final Fantasy VII...

zacks_clone
02-21-2004, 08:14 PM
Clouds story of Sephiroth in Kalm,just the appearance of Midgar,knowing that this horrid incorpirations killing the planet,Sephiroths actions(snake and end of disk 1),meator,insane loon who wants to be a god and almost succeeds...Yeah,it basicly screams dark.

Sefie1999AD
02-21-2004, 09:59 PM
A little tough one between FF6 and FF7, but after a bit of thinking, I've come to a decision that FF7 is absolutely the darkest Final Fantasy game in the series so far. Reasons:

*CONTAINS FF7 SPOILERS!!!*

- The poor and oppressed people of Midgar
- Terrorist acts, AVALANCHE's dilemma about whether good intentions justify the acts
- Sector 7 Plate falling
- A powerful alien escapes a lab, scares the hell out of everyone and leaves behind nothing but a huge trail of blood and the company's president dead on his desk with a sword impaled through his back
- All those shocking things caused by Sephiroth/Jenova, like Midgar Zolom being totally slaughtered, appearance in the Shinra ship, killing Aeris, burning up Nibelheim, messing up the main character's head, hurting everyone both physically and mentally and lots of other things

eestlinc
02-21-2004, 10:44 PM
ff6. The world gets destroyed and everything is dead. The whole world of Ruin is pretty depressing.

PeTeRL90
02-22-2004, 01:01 AM
VI.

Poisoning water, throwing an emporer off a cliff, and just killing people just for fun.

Evelia
02-22-2004, 01:26 AM
I think X was the darkest. It had an upbeat main character, sort of, but it was all about... death and suffering. This quote pretty much sums it up:

Auron: Summoners challenge the bringer of death, Sin, and die doing so.
Guardians give their lives to protect their summoner. The fayth are the souls of
the dead. Even the maesters of Yevon are unsent. Spira is full of death... Only
Sin is reborn, and then only to bring more death. It is a cycle of death,
spiraling endlessly.

I think that's really depressing. o_o;

Aphelion
02-23-2004, 04:43 PM
FFVII. Sephiroth. This villain is really dark. And has evil plans (like any other FF villain, but his plan is the greatest).

Flying Mullet
02-23-2004, 04:45 PM
Any RPG has to have some antagonist doing horrible things or you wouldn't care two licks about finding their hideout and handing them a smackdown. So just because bad things happen by a bad guy in the game isn't enough.

Why Final Fantasy VII stands out as the darkest for me is that above the usually villianry and such every one and everything outside of your party and innocent townspeople are trying to take over the world or destroy it; Shinra(Sr. and Jr. president), Sephiroth and Hojo for example.

I also view Final Fantasy VII as the darkest because I think that it would be the most depressing world to live in if I had to live through the story in the world as an observer with Final Fantasy VI coming in a close second.

Marcus
02-23-2004, 06:57 PM
Well, letting Cid die in FF6 because I couldn't be arsed to fetch him those uberleet fishies for him was kinda dark. And the fact that Celes wanted to die was dark. And the fact that the game ended in a post-apocalyptic world could be considered dark. That water poisoning was dark too, methinks.

Yup. Final Fantasy VI. Without a doubt. FF7's graphics were too flashy for me to even start thinking of it as dark.. Nice graphics aren't important for me, but they do set the mood. ;)

SomethingBig
02-24-2004, 12:02 AM
At first I thought it was a tie between 6 and 7, but now it's definitely 7 for me.

Spoilers ahead:
- Midgar itself is dark and gloomy
- Jenova's escape from the lab. God that was scary. All she left was a long trail of blood.
- Midgar Zolom carcass
- Sephiroth clones
- Aeris's death
- The world after Meteor is summoned. Even the music is dark and gloomy.

EveningCross
02-24-2004, 12:38 AM
Yeah, VII was the darkest without a doubt. Dark colors were used for the characters and backgrounds in general. That's why at Costa del Sol I never feel any happier. The characters are still dressed like bums. Also, when weapon was released, the whole Midgar Zolom thing that was mentioned, don't even get me started on the Jenova escape. I was so nervous that for a while I wouldn't leave the cell. Also, for me the City of the Ancients was kinda dark too. That huge, spikey city of coral just sitting there, a vast ghost town. I didn't like having to roam there too much either until I found out for sure that I was really alone. Besides that there were others but those were the most noticeable. Oh!! One more! having to stare at the soon-to-be reason that you'll die in the sky was also kinda depressing cause you knew that it wasn't going away.

Proxy
02-24-2004, 12:58 AM
I'm torn between FFVII & FFVI...

and for some odd reason. FFT is punchin my in the back of the head

Jebus
02-24-2004, 01:38 AM
I'd have to say FFVII for all reasons listed above. FFT did have a massive conspiracy by the church to control and manipulate the myriad kingdoms, the war between Larg and Goltana, betrayal between soldiers, and even in families, usurpation of power, and the main characters "die" in the end, and Delita and Olan definatly die, the first is shown, and Olan is burned at the stake as a heretic. Come to think of it, FFT is pretty dark. Which is why I liked it more than FFTA, but I'd still have to say FFVII.

zacks_clone
02-24-2004, 02:04 AM
Originally posted by SomethingBig
At first I thought it was a tie between 6 and 7, but now it's definitely 7 for me.

Spoilers ahead:
- Midgar itself is dark and gloomy
- Jenova's escape from the lab. God that was scary. All she left was a long trail of blood.
- Midgar Zolom carcass
- Sephiroth clones
- Aeris's death
- The world after Meteor is summoned. Even the music is dark and gloomy.

Oh man....Jenovas escape.That was just plaine creepy...Its a giant mutian thing basicly,we know nothing about it,its hedless,shouldnt be moving,and evil inc. has it...and its running around loose with a mad man with a sword!

Imperia
02-27-2004, 04:48 PM
All of the Final Fantasy games have had their dark moments, but I've noticed that FF II, VI, VII, and X were more dark than the others. FF II had a rough beginning, and townspeople and allies were dying left and right at the hands of the Emperor. I always thought FF VI was pretty dark. FF X had a lot of sorrow in it too, but I think FF VII is the darkest on my list. That had a lot of gloom.:chobin:

bkkguy
03-04-2004, 04:40 AM
It has to be FFT for me. I think it has such a deep storyline and complex character. The whole storyline of FFT is a great tragedy.

therealquigmaster
03-04-2004, 05:25 PM
9 for me. Me Tvs broken atthe moment and the brightness setting doesn't work:D

katana
03-05-2004, 05:45 PM
Well, from the moment that you start FFVII, your in a grungy city, and the plot enerally doesnt lighten up. But all the FF plots tend to get a little dark. FFX got pretty dark later, because Tidus woke up in a reality where any civilization with a fair amount of people was immediately destroyed by Sin, the religion that gives the people false hope is using them, and sending their summoners, who are also Spiras only hope, and kiling them, only to have Sin come back, the maesters who lead Spira are corrupt, and the whole cause of this all is Sin, who turns out to be Tidus' own father
There. Try that on for darkness.

black orb
03-07-2004, 02:24 PM
>>> FF7, it was so dark that I got depressed and I never wanted to play it again..

Edgar
03-08-2004, 08:01 AM
Juggling between VI and VII...

aeris2001x2
03-30-2004, 03:15 PM
ff 7. ff 6 was preety dark two, but it was balanced by kefkas constant see saw between comedy and dark insanity. but yeah any game where the world ends is dark. and especially the last boss music, of both games.

funny how the darkest imho is also the best imho.

SpiritWolf
03-31-2004, 02:51 AM
I just got FF VII on Friday and it gets my vote for darkest FF The Jenova escape had me on edge big time.

Snowman
03-31-2004, 07:09 PM
i knew it was FF7 instantly, it's certainly a tradgedy compared to 8 which was action, 9 which was fantasy, 10 and 102 which were both romance

PhoenixAsh
04-01-2004, 09:00 PM
I'll go with VII aswell, why has noone mentioned the main character backgrounds?

Cloud, lost his hometown, failed his dreams to the point of hiding his face from old friends, then went insane.
Tifa, lost her hometown, winds up working in a bar in a slum.
Barret, loses pretty much everything except Marlene, winds up dedicating himself to something he isn't sure is right.
Cid, misses out on his one dream, becomes a washout with a constant reminder of it outside his door.
Nanaki, lives in shame of a father he never really knew, winds up as a test subject.
Vincent, loses his love, gets shot, winds up in a coffin for many years (from what I remember).
Yuffie, a Ninja from a village weakened by war, winds up as a thief whilst still a teenager.
Cait Sith, one gets killed, it's controller is working undercover in an evil corporation.
Aeris, do I even have to start???

Snowman
04-02-2004, 05:32 PM
actually now that i think of it....FF9 was very dark, entire citys were being destroyed as well as countless lives....look at burmecia which was turned into a slaughterhouse.

Andex
04-03-2004, 05:53 AM
Even though FF6 was my favorite. FF7 was the darkest

skatehippie
04-04-2004, 08:01 AM
Bleh, lotta people already agreed pretty much on VII, but I'm gonna hafta be the odd-man-out and cast my vote on VIII.

I think "dark" can represent several things...if you're going for "dark scenery" then yeah VII takes the cake, but while VIII had a green world with fancy colleges and X was mostly tropical, their stories were very dark, respectively.

Squall is a very dark character. So dark that people hate the game for the fact that it was hard to relate to the character(s). Abandonment, loneliness, aggression...these things are ingredients for "dark"ness.

I think X was really dark cuz...well...there were lots of dead people hangin around and that's just freaky =\ Also, the whole Sin thing is just very scary...we're not talkin an evil corporation or an evil sorceress here...we're talkin a gigantic flying bran tumor that comes to kill you every 10 years...now I think living in a world like that would SUCK. The people of Midgar could at least be secluded to their own povety-stricken communities...but in Spira, there is no one community that is safe from being brushed over as soon as big Sin comes back.

X-2 is very dark as well...I mean it carries on the darkness from X and then adds all these twists to it...
SPOILERS...SORT OF:
-The crimson squad being gunned down?
-The aftermath of the Mi-Hen operation
-Half of the Ronso slaughtered in X (though we don't see it)

Snowman
04-04-2004, 10:10 AM
thing is eight was an action adventure story with a happy ending ( i could relate to squall better than cloud).

10 and 10/2 were both romance, and although the hero didnt get to live his life with his girl they both loved each other and would oneday be united. they were both about coming to terms with life and moving on.

but seven...the world got knndlk'ed (insert rude word). cloud didnt really get togeather with aeris before she died, sephroth was a goody turned baddy turned nutter, almost EVERY character got shit on one way or another...and then the world went spoo at the end....FF7 was a tradgedy, thus overall darker i feel

aeris2001x2
04-04-2004, 11:26 AM
ff9 is dark too! i mean fighting death itself as the last boss? ok i know necron is not death exactly, but u had to prove 2 him that life was worth living. throughout a lot of the game all i got was LIFE SUCKS etc and further evidence for necron.

all ff games i,ve played are dark. only ffx-2 is the exception lol. thats charlies angels.

CrimsonD
04-04-2004, 06:05 PM
FFT was the darkest IMO. I don't know how to use spoilers, but there are going to be some so watch out.
Well first off the church created war between two nations which caused massive death to both sides. And it was all so the church could become the major world power. And there was so much betrayal in the game it was hard to keep up. Ramza's own brother killed his father. In a different family (I think it was Vormav's) the father turned into a minion of darkness and kept his kids fighting a war they didn't understand. Your best friend starts to manipulate everyone so one day he can be king. O wait, he is killed by his wife latter on ( Delita and Ovelia married, right). Also, St.Ajora, who was ment to be like the savior to the people turned out to be, well, I don't even know what that thing was you fought at the end of the game, but it was pure evil. The setting itself was pretty "dark". The land just got out of war and now the nobles and church wage another one. And there's the death corps, a group of soldiers fighting to survive. O wait, their leader forsakes his ideals and becomes a minion of darkness. And how Miluda( or was it Wigruf) who gave those speeches on what it ment to be poor was sad. When one of them talks to Ramza about the word meager and eating the same thing every day, I thought that was really sad.

Snowman
04-04-2004, 06:50 PM
FF9 did have alot of dark moments, but the overall feel and look of the game was still to fantasy. in seven they picked up on the natural magic/paganism of earth magic, the lifeforce of all things and a corporation using it to power your TV's...thats dark too

Dreadlock
04-06-2004, 04:08 AM
I think FFVII.:evilking: