PDA

View Full Version : Best Fighting Game... EVER!

Breine
02-21-2004, 06:49 PM
I just felt like making this thread...

Well, what is, in your opinion, the best fighting game ever?

EDIT: Please state why... :D

Erdrick Holmes
02-21-2004, 09:03 PM
Oh my god, im in a quandrie here, I mean out of all of the tons and tons of fighters I've played I gotta pick one, eh?

Well I'd have to say.... ummm... oh geez.

Capcom Vs SNK. Of course when god comes from heaven and kisses me on the forehead and Sammy Vs Capcom arrives then I will change my answer.

EDIT: Crap I forgot to say why, eh?

Well the reason I like this game is because it combines the 2 fighting game gods of its time (Street Fighter and King of Fighters) I mean I would grow up having memories of wanting ot see Ryu and Kyo Kusengi in the same arena slugging it out.

Lindy
02-21-2004, 10:27 PM
Bakumatsu Roman Daini Tobari: Gekka no Kenshi

AKA The Last Blade 2

Samurai fighting game = teh rawk

Especially when it has drunken-style bokken fighters, and undead ninjas.

At least I think Mukuro is a Ninja, far better than he was as Shikyoh.

Plus, it has the super speed mode combo attack, which is just insane if you're good at it.

escobert
02-21-2004, 11:02 PM
Bushido blade I & II I liek the fact that they are realistic. yup

black orb
02-21-2004, 11:53 PM
>>> Guilty Gear, KoF, and Capcom/Street fighter series are the best out there..
but Im a big SS fan so I go for the Samurai Spirits Zero game..

Del Murder
02-21-2004, 11:55 PM
Marvel vs. Capcom 2! So many classic characters in one game, and I love ripping into special moves that do 20 hits with little effort.

eestlinc
02-22-2004, 12:27 AM
Killer Instinct

Erdrick Holmes
02-22-2004, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by eestlinc
Killer Instinct

Are you kiddidng me? That game was lame.

eestlinc
02-22-2004, 12:34 AM
Killer Instinct was like Street Fighter except it was actually good. Also, Clay Fighter.

Erdrick Holmes
02-22-2004, 12:40 AM
Ok allow me to break the ice here.

KI had no aspect of super moves or the aspect of "the longer you fight the better you perform" No supermoves at all and the graphics were corny as sin. The fighting physics were as lame as mortal kombat's were.

PeTeRL90
02-22-2004, 12:41 AM
The Tekken games. There was also another series of games, but I can't remember the names of them. They were Neo-Geo games, though.

Erdrick Holmes
02-22-2004, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by PeTeRL90
The Tekken games. There was also another series of games, but I can't remember the names of them. They were Neo-Geo games, though.

Fatal Fury, King of Fighters?

eestlinc
02-22-2004, 12:44 AM
Fatal Fury is pretty good. For new games though, it has to be Soul Calibur.

PeTeRL90
02-22-2004, 12:58 AM
I really can't remember. There were like these half demon fighters and samurais and all that. It's been years since I played one of those games last.

Mo-Nercy
02-22-2004, 08:58 AM
In terms of graphics, battle system, innovation, characters and gameplay. Soul Calibur II.

But I also like Melty Blood ReAct.

Bernhard
02-22-2004, 10:43 AM
Virtua Fighter 4 for the PS2. Deeper than any other fighting game I've ever played, by miles. Close runner-up is Soul Blade for the PSX because it's so much damn fun.

Breine
02-22-2004, 11:24 AM
I'm a great fan of the Tekken and Soul Blade (SoulCalibur) series... So these are my choices.

Why: As said I'm a huge fan of these two series (Especially Tekken). Also the games have great battle systems and a good cast of fighters... Another reason is also that I can beat everybody I know in these games! MUHAHA! :D

Pure Strife
02-22-2004, 12:51 PM
Tekken Tag Tournament. So many memories..... So many victories....

Mr. Graves
02-22-2004, 01:23 PM
Mortal Kombat 1. True classic, there.

In terms of depth, I'd say Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers.

Omega_x
02-22-2004, 07:55 PM
GAROU: MARK OF THE WOLVES (aka fatal fury 5), and also Last blade 2

P.S. Kyo kusanagi and Iori would kick the SH*T out of ryu and Ken anyday of the week!!!!

Dingo Jellybean
02-22-2004, 08:28 PM
Capcom vs. SNK2 or Street Fighter Alpha 3...maybe Super Street Fighter II Turbo.

As for most overated, Soul Calibur and Marvel vs. Capcom 2 gets the nod.

Marcus
02-22-2004, 08:31 PM
Mortal Kombat 3. Nice graphics and all, but the finishing blows always made me come back for more.

Erdrick Holmes
02-22-2004, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by Omega_x
P.S. Kyo kusanagi and Iori would kick the SH*T out of ryu and Ken anyday of the week!!!!

Actually I compaired the two groups on Capcom Vs SNK. Result: Ryu and Ken but Iori would give Ken a tie matchup.

Garland
02-22-2004, 10:54 PM
Soul Calibur II

ChibiInuYasha
02-23-2004, 02:38 AM
Please! It's no contest, Guilty Gear XX is the best fighting masterpiece ever concieved so HA!

Zell's Fists of Fury
02-23-2004, 05:47 AM
MORTAL KOMBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT

woo!

cause you can poke 'em and blood flys out and then you can be all *spear* GET OVER HERE and stuff and oh man is it cool.
Special moves rock

BatChao
02-23-2004, 10:20 AM
Shocker! I thought everyone would choose Soul Calibur II, but I guess not... Anyway, I choose Soul Calibur II because it has the best fighting engine in any game ever. 8-way-run is the best thing to happen to fighting games since the fireball. The game moves silky smooth and all that. High, mid, low hits make you not only learn the character you're using, but also all the others so you know how to block/guard impact their hits. There are almost no incredibly crazy super combos that destroy your life (I know of one with Mitsurugi, but it's really hard to pull off). The game is played with total finesse and skill. And one of my favorite aspects of the game is the mind games you play with your opponent. Fake outs, cancels, and all the jazz is awesome. The game is also incredibly well balanced except Yun Sung is a little messed up. I believe SC1 is more balanced but I like the tweaks Namco added to the sequel (also Talim's not in SC1). Soul charging is an integral part of SC2 while I couldn't figure out how to use if effectively in the first one. SC2 is the winner for me, hands down. I have never devoted so much of my life, time, and money to any game than I have to this one. SC2 is and forever will be my baby.:love:

Originally posted by Dingo_Jellybean
As for most overated, Soul Calibur and Marvel vs. Capcom 2 gets the nod.
Holy crap! I don't see how you can say this! MvC2, though incredibly unbalanced, is also incredibly fun and represents frantic fighting at it's peak. But I guess I can sorta understand it, but how can you say SC is overrated? Especially SC1? For the DC, that game broke so much ground that it felt like an earthquake! The graphics were incredible (they still stand up today), the engine was flawless (that's why there wasn't much to add to SC2). I don't see how it's not deserving of every bit of praise it's gotten.

Mo-Nercy
02-24-2004, 07:31 AM
I'm with BatChao. Soul Calibur is a great game IMO because there's more to it than memorising a ten hit combo and using it constantly. Combos and chains take a back seat while successful usage of smart gameplay like blocking, parrying and side-stepping will win games. Using horizontal attacks to defeat enemies making use of 8-way run, using vertical attacks to knock back an enemies horizontal attack, using the 8-way run to get away from a vertical attack leads to very clever gameplay. I thought that the balance of characters was a bit messed up in SC2. Kilik, a bit too strong for his speed. Nightmare, for such a powerful character, is too easy to get to grips with. Taki's kicking moves are too good (with Yunsung, it's alright because he's not that good in other areas)

The only game I've spent more money on is DDR.

Calliope
02-26-2004, 05:44 AM
Arcade: Marvel vs Capcom 2
Master System: Mortal Combat 2
Mega Drive: Clayfighter
Playstation: Soulblade
Playstation Two: Soul Calibre 2

Beat em ups are fun.

Spuuky
02-26-2004, 05:49 AM
SF2 was the best for a long time after it came out (the first time), Soul Calibur 2 is the best now. Virtua Fighter 4 is good, too, but no one give it credit.

Del Murder
02-26-2004, 06:56 AM
Originally posted by Spuuky
no one give it credit.
Remember this day everyone.

Spuuky
02-26-2004, 07:12 AM
I will assume (probably incorrectly) that you didn't corruptly use your power to edit that typo into my post.

eestlinc
02-26-2004, 07:14 AM
If I can make a typographical error now and then, so can Spuuky.

Calliope
02-27-2004, 01:08 AM
Online Reputation ruined
Drag along your tatters
Cynics make typos too

:D

Peegee
02-27-2004, 11:19 AM
Virtual On (http://games.activision.com/games/voot/#)

What are you guys, all ignorant? xD /joke

http://games.activision.com/games/voot/images/screen3.jpg

http://games.activision.com/games/voot/images/screen2.jpg

and etc....it's the best game ever.

Dingo Jellybean
02-28-2004, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by BatChao
Holy crap! I don't see how you can say this! MvC2, though incredibly unbalanced, is also incredibly fun and represents frantic fighting at it's peak. But I guess I can sorta understand it, but how can you say SC is overrated? Especially SC1? For the DC, that game broke so much ground that it felt like an earthquake! The graphics were incredible (they still stand up today), the engine was flawless (that's why there wasn't much to add to SC2). I don't see how it's not deserving of every bit of praise it's gotten.

Well, I don't remember much of SC since it's been years since I played it...but as for MvC2...the game is just based on Sentinel, Magneto, and Cable. I managed to use all the cheap tricks that pissed off opponents(like guard crush, and linking 3 Magnetic Tempests/and-or/Hyper Viper Beam.

I didn't feel that you had to be skilled to be very good in the game...you can just learn a few tricks and dominate...so I'm glad Capcom didn't make a 3rd MvC. Personally, I loved the first MvC.

Erdrick Holmes
02-28-2004, 02:31 PM
I downloaded this freeware fighting game that was never sold outside of Japan. It's called Dogma, and dispite it's cheesy graphics, crappy sound effects, 5 tracks of music, only one voice over (announcer says "Ready, GO" so its the only oive you'll ever hear) and one stage background, it's a pretty good fighting game. It gives your thumbs a good workout.

BatChao
02-28-2004, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by Dingo_Jellybean
Well, I don't remember much of SC since it's been years since I played it...but as for MvC2...the game is just based on Sentinel, Magneto, and Cable. I managed to use all the cheap tricks that pissed off opponents(like guard crush, and linking 3 Magnetic Tempests/and-or/Hyper Viper Beam.

I didn't feel that you had to be skilled to be very good in the game...you can just learn a few tricks and dominate...so I'm glad Capcom didn't make a 3rd MvC. Personally, I loved the first MvC.

Heh. You're absolutely right. I don't deny the game is based on a few key characters and a few key combos, but saying the game is one of the most overrated is going a bit far. In fact, many people already know the game is incredibly unbalanced and cheap. Nobody's calling it the greatest fighting game ever, but many think it's a really fun and frantic fighting game, which it is. But yea, you're right when you say with just a few tricks, you can dominate. I think the coolness factor comes from pitting Marvel and Capcom together.