PDA

View Full Version : No Love...

Breine
02-21-2004, 08:06 PM
As far as I've heard there's not going to be any love story in this game, as opposed to all the other Final Fantasies.

What's your opinion on that?

Kawaii Ryűkishi
02-22-2004, 01:39 AM
I, for one, am certainly going to miss experiencing a love story as epic and enthralling as the romance between the King of Corneria and Queen Jane in FFI.

Bahamut2000X
02-22-2004, 03:56 AM
Personally I don't care much. I'm sort of glad as then it means Square can't just concentrate the game and plot based on solely 2 charcters while the others just say a line very now and then (FFVII-FFX)

Although I heard there's supposed to be a little bit of one. Just not much.

TheAbominatrix
02-22-2004, 03:58 AM
I like it. I hope its very small, like Bahamut said. I prefered the love aspects of IV and VI, they were big enough to enhance the story but small enough not to make the rest of the characters look like supporting actors.

DocFrance
02-22-2004, 08:29 AM
That'll be refreshing, since VIII, IX, and X were pretty heavy on that theme (IX not so much, though).

By the way, 'Kishi's post has caused me to fall madly in love with him again.

Silent Warrior
02-22-2004, 12:29 PM
I could've sworn I heard that Vaan and... that other one, wossname, would 'develop a mutual curiosity', if you will. Well, I certainly won't say I don't welcome such a change.

TheAbominatrix
02-22-2004, 12:31 PM
Which isnt an overt love theme, like the last few games.

DocFrance
02-22-2004, 08:04 PM
Whereas games like FFIV and FFVI had some small love themes, but they weren't the center of the wntire story, like in FFVIII.

kikimm
06-02-2004, 04:34 AM
Actually, you guys, I don't rememeber where, but I KNOW that a few days ago, I read that ater hearing Nobuo's theme song for the game, which was about love, he changed the storyline a little bit. So whether that makes you happy or pissed off, there it is.

:D

DocFrance
06-02-2004, 05:10 AM
Did you hear this from a friend of a friend of a guy who works for Square as a janitor? Yep, I heard the same thing, too.

aeris2001x2
06-02-2004, 05:14 AM
Personally I don't care much. I'm sort of glad as then it means Square can't just concentrate the game and plot based on solely 2 charcters while the others just say a line very now and then (FFVII-FFX)

thats so not true about ffVII. it was like ffVI, love was a big theme but it was not the main issue and everyone else had great development, not just a line or two as u put it.

anyway i agree i dont care as long as the game is good which is the most important thing.

unknown88
06-02-2004, 04:27 PM
Wouldn't it be very funny if Vaan was a perv. No love story = something wrong with a character.

TasteyPies
06-02-2004, 09:37 PM
Even pervs get girls, Irvine.....

Sefie1999AD
06-02-2004, 10:23 PM
Did you hear this from a friend of a friend of a guy who works for Square as a janitor? Yep, I heard the same thing, too.

I've also heard that story about Uematsu's love song making an impact in the story. I think it was said in either GameSpot or RPGFan's E3 2004 Coverage. Besides, there's a few things that point towards the game having at least some kind of love story:

1) Pannero(sp) is said to be Vaan's "girlfriend" and/or "significant other".
2) Early pictures showed Vaan and Ashe together. I wouldn't be surprised if these two became a lot like Zidane and Dagger.

So with 1) and 2), I have a feeling there will be a love triangle between Vaan, Pannero and Ashe.

P.S. Kishi's comment was hilarious! :D

Dark Queen Kyra
06-03-2004, 03:47 AM
I've also heard that story about Uematsu's love song making an impact in the story

I just hope that the love story (if there is one) is realistic *co-FFVIII-ugh* and it doesn't interfer w/ the main plot

Loony BoB
06-03-2004, 12:42 PM
So long as it doesn't take away the involvement in the story a-la FFX. I liked FFVII, where although there was a love-story inside it, it never affected Cloud's individuality and you could still snub one girl and hit on the other one. :p I like to feel like I'm in control of the main character - and that I can build a personality. If they can manage these two things, I will be happy.

Maybe they could get a love story going where you fall for an NPC, a-la Zell and the pig-tail girl. :p

I'm not going to knock any love story (or lack of) until the game comes out.

Although I'm glad that the guy won't fall for the girl wearing the apron made out of a plastic raincoat.

edczxcvbnm
06-03-2004, 08:56 PM
There will be love stories but it will not have a huge or important part of the story and I for one am glad. It will take the back seat like in FFVII. While there was a love story that was far from the main focus.

Shlup
06-09-2004, 12:29 AM
If there's no love story then I know I'll get bored with it quickly. One of these days Square is going to realize that they'll sell a lot more copies if the main characters fall in love and make sweet naked music together.

TasteyPies
06-09-2004, 01:37 AM
If there's no love story then I know I'll get bored with it quickly. One of these days Square is going to realize that they'll sell a lot more copies if the main characters fall in love and make sweet naked music together.

with drums and a flute

Del Murder
06-09-2004, 03:37 AM
That reminds me of this one time at band camp...

kikimm
06-10-2004, 12:01 AM
lol

I wonder if Vaan is even going to be a part of a relationship. I can't really see him with anybody, he's so....girly, for lack of a better word. it would look really weird. If there's going to be love, I would rather have it be between some of the other characters.

eternalshiva
06-10-2004, 11:29 AM
Isn't that other girl his *close friend* in other words, his girlfriend? That hyper happy character, I can't remember her name for the life of me...

Ouch!
06-10-2004, 08:53 PM
You mean Panello.

I also think there will be a minor love triangle between Vaan, Ashe and Panello. Much like FFVII.

kikimm
06-20-2004, 03:00 AM
What about Balthier and Fran? I don't think it's likely, but it could happen. They're 'partners'.

nik0tine
06-26-2004, 07:39 PM
"I wonder if Vaan is even going to be a part of a relationship. I can't really see him with anybody, he's so....girly, for lack of a better word. it would look really weird. If there's going to be love, I would rather have it be between some of the other characters."

One word: Zidane

Beatrix Leonhart
06-27-2004, 01:22 AM
Yes, Vaan is a little girly for a man. And without a love story, Final Fantasy will feel like something is missing. It won't be the same.

Bahamut2000X
06-27-2004, 01:29 AM
Well really the way Square describes the love story, it's just like pre FFVIII games where it's there just not the entire story and game with a little bit of side stuff added in. In all honesty I bet it's gonna be like FFVII in regards to the love story being there, but not consuming every aspect of the game *FFVIII* or having a large influencing aspect to the game *FFX* but this is just what I think it'll be like considering what Square has mentioned about the game thus far.

Griever_Leonhart
06-27-2004, 01:30 AM
I hope they don't fall in love.

kikimm
06-27-2004, 03:15 AM
Yeah...without SOME kind of a love story, I don't think I'd enjoy the FF games as much. It adds a more realistic thing to the game....I don't know, it makes the story feel more epic. I don't think that they would just take that element out of the game for no real reason. When was the last FF without a love story....I haven't played every single one, so I don't know.

nik0tine
06-27-2004, 06:16 AM
i dont care if htere is a love story or not, i trust square will make the story line enjoyable either way.

Savannah
07-18-2004, 11:53 PM
Thank God. I'm sick of it. Tidus and Yuna were apparently thrown together just for the sake of a love story between the two main characters.

Ryth
07-19-2004, 01:47 AM
Yeah I'll probaly miss it but Squenix is trying to do something different to try to keep the FF series going so people won't find the series repitive and ditch it they're also trying to open up to other auidences I guess those who despise love stories.

kikimm
07-20-2004, 10:34 PM
hmm. it will be interesting to see what kind of stuff they'll put in instead of that then. in FF8, and 10, there was a lot of dialogue that had to do with love, and 10-2, well....heh. so maybe we'll get to see more of the other characters because of this. ah, who knows-i'm ready to find ut already!

Polyonymous
07-22-2004, 01:04 AM
I personaly think they should keep the love story, that is what makes Final Fantasy what it is. But on the other hand maybe they dont want everyone to think all final fantasy games are the same so they threw in a few twists. I know i will always stay true to FF even if it goes sour.

TheAbominatrix
07-22-2004, 01:06 AM
I personaly think they should keep the love story, that is what makes Final Fantasy what it is.

What about all the other FF games without love stories?

Wanderlust
09-26-2004, 03:05 AM
i dont care if htere is a love story or not, i trust square will make the story line enjoyable either way.

I agree.

Well...it probably won't include Ashe, unless Vaan cheats on Pannelo or something... :/

kikimm
09-27-2004, 06:08 AM
There's also that nameless-guy who Ashe appears to be marrying. Or at least it looks like it. I'll shoot myself if that's actually her brother.

EDIT: Christ, I need ot work on my typing-too-fast problem.

aeris2001x2
09-27-2004, 05:24 PM
What about all the other FF games without love stories?

true. there was no romance in ffI-3, or ffV. Romance is not essential.

Turk
10-02-2004, 01:16 AM
Yes, Vaan is a little girly for a man.

iluvpenelo
10-02-2004, 02:02 AM
firstly, let me re-iterate, im a straight guy. secondly, i hope that there is a love story. obviously if the love story is done in a ridiculous way, (FFVIII) then it will spoil everything. but if its done right, (IX) it can enhance the level of interest in the story. it does for me anyway. i will miss the love aspect of it if its not put in

Ouch!
10-02-2004, 05:09 PM
I agree with kikimm. In the trailers, Ashe seems to be standing next to that blonde guy. She looks like she's wearing a wedding dress, and it even begins with bells ringing. As far as I'm concerned: white dress with veil + bells ringing = wedding.

When they mention this no love thing, though, this was when all we really knew about was Vaan and Ashe. I doubt there will be a love story between them, but there's going to be something between Panelo and Vaan.

Lon611
10-02-2004, 07:25 PM
i believe i read in game informer that square said there would be a love story, it just wouldn't as drawn out as ffvii-x. the real focus would be on the war-plot.

personally, almost all ff's i've played have everything:romance, betrayal, action, humor, and most of all brain-teasers. just because you limit the romance doesn't mean its not gonna be a good love story....just primitive maybe. :rolleyes2

i think it'll help explain the plot a lot more, so i say we wait and find out.

*ETERNAL FANTASY*
10-03-2004, 11:31 AM
THANK GOODNESS.....no love story....i gotta admit....it was getting abit tired and boring....that way it can actually focus on the story...imean the only ff that successfully made a love story fused with the "big picture story line" was ff7 and 8 more so 7....so yea my opinion anyway....it was begining to get cheesy.....*cough*ff10.....9 was fun.....imean who could forget Zidanes groping (sp?) scene lol....but yea im glad the lights will be on the big story and hopefully more on the characters!

btw im not sure if 11 has a love story cause i havent played it so im stayin away from making judgements on 11!

Lon611
10-03-2004, 04:25 PM
i don't think the love story of FFX was cheesy. i mean, it might have been not a mature love story considering that both Yuna and Tidus aren't even adults. but the fact that Tidus would sacrifice himself(making himself "passover" by killing Sin and the Dream) just so Yuna can live wasn't really cheesy imho. what about the ending?what about that one scene where Tidus finds out Yuna's gonna die?

the first time i played FFIX i thot the love story was mediocre, but looking back on it, i really really enjoyed it. i liked the fact that zidane went through that whole "how can i tell her" phase when she becomes queen :D

FFXII will suffer from the lack of a love story, but it's more detailed plot should make up for it :cool:

Ouch!
10-03-2004, 08:21 PM
btw im not sure if 11 has a love story cause i havent played it so im stayin away from making judgements on 11!
Um... FFXI is online, but you can marry other players, so, uh, maybe that counts?

As others have mentioned, Final Fantasy titles that have focused on the relationship between two main characters (i.e. FFVIII and FFX) have turned out to develope only those two main characters. The others take back seat as supporting roles. I like to see a game where all- or most- of the characters have their own spot in the plot that makes them important.

Personally, I find a good story about war a lot more interesting than something that's about the romance of hormone driven teenagers.

*ETERNAL FANTASY*
10-04-2004, 02:00 AM
i don't think the love story of FFX was cheesy. i mean, it might have been not a mature love story considering that both Yuna and Tidus aren't even adults. but the fact that Tidus would sacrifice himself(making himself "passover" by killing Sin and the Dream) just so Yuna can live wasn't really cheesy imho. what about the ending?what about that one scene where Tidus finds out Yuna's gonna die?

Thats what made it so cheesy.....they were really young....thats why it was "un-convincable" (sp?)....

FFXII will suffer from the lack of a love story, but it's more detailed plot should make up for it :cool:

My point exactly

Lon611
10-05-2004, 02:53 AM
As others have mentioned, Final Fantasy titles that have focused on the relationship between two main characters (i.e. FFVIII and FFX) have turned out to develope only those two main characters. The others take back seat as supporting roles. I like to see a game where all- or most- of the characters have their own spot in the plot that makes them important.

i don't kno...i felt ffx created the supporting leades a lot better than in the past....ie eiko, armarant, quina anyone?the only one in ffx i could understand would be kimahri....maybe lulu. everyone else was developed fairly nicely, imo. :D

...going on a tangent, i hope ffxii has better battle music than ffx. ffx's music was awesome, but it didn't have battle music that made me want to battle, such as ffvii. :greenie:

kikimm
10-05-2004, 03:31 AM
You know, as long as the characters are developed well, I'll be happy. That, plus a good story, is really all I need. I do like the romance in the games, one of the main reasons being that it develops characters well, it's interesting, etc. It helps you get to know them better.

But I have to admit I'd rather have a good, strong cast, all developed equally, rather than two who overshadow the rest.

Besides, there's going to be a little love-story anyways. I won't complain, because of what I said earlier. It'll be there, but it won't take up as much time as in the previous games. *shrug* No biggie.

There's been a definite "formula" for the past couple games anyways, concerning the love story in them. I think it's just another change, something fresh. I'm open to it.

DJZen
10-05-2004, 07:58 AM
I hope they have a male-male love story. It'd be a bold move, but they've already given marriage licenses to same sex couples in FFXI. It'd just be nice of them to acknowledge that love isn't limited to man and woman. Now, if they have a hume falling in love with a Viera, that'd just be wrong.

KentaRawr!
10-06-2004, 02:53 PM
A Galka Falling in love with a Bangaa would be wrong!! Well, I can name 1 game that doesn't have much romance in it ^_^; ff1! lol

DJZen
10-07-2004, 12:18 AM
"Do you take this Galka to be your lawfully wedded..... ummmmm.... Galka?"

"Yesssssssssss, I do"

"And do you take this Bangaa to be your lawfully wedded.... spouse?"

"ne1 want teleport holla? 5000 Gil!"

Ouch!
10-07-2004, 12:48 AM

"Yesssssssssss, I do"

XD
It's so true.

The Amazing Spiderman
10-18-2004, 03:45 AM
Yeah...without SOME kind of a love story, I don't think I'd enjoy the FF games as much. It adds a more realistic thing to the game....I don't know, it makes the story feel more epic. I don't think that they would just take that element out of the game for no real reason. When was the last FF without a love story....I haven't played every single one, so I don't know.

Well..

FF1: Nope.
FF2: I don't think it has a love story.
FF3: Nope.
FF4: Yes, but not in the main plot.
FF5: Kind of, but not.
FF6: Kind of, but didn't interfere too much in the game.
FF7: Yes, somehow.
FF8: Yes.
FF9: Yes..well kind of again.
FF10: Yes.
FFXI: Online Love?
FFT: Nope. Just brother's love.
FFTA: nope.
FFX-2: Yes.

FFXII: I hope it won't have any love story.

abrojtm
10-18-2004, 04:27 AM

"Yesssssssssss, I do"

This and Kishi's posts have been the funniest that I've seen in a while. :D

I'm voting for a Love-Square kind of like Butz-Cara-Lenna-Faris. Oh ya.

Average_Samurai
10-22-2004, 04:29 PM
Hi, I´m a returning member of EOFF.

Anyway, I would like to thank The Amazing Spiderman for pointing out which FFs do and don´t have love stories. FFT, which FFXII is heavily related to, had no love story, and definitely had one of the best stories of any of the Final Fantasy games.

Please note that I said one of the best before you start typing a reply.

Juniper Jade
10-24-2004, 10:54 PM
Aw man. I hope there is some love in FFXII. Even if it's a litte. I love.. er.. love stories. I guess it has something to do with me being a hopeless romantic, lol. I really liked the romance between Yuna and Tidus.

Chris
10-24-2004, 11:00 PM
Please note that I said one of the best before you start typing a reply.

:shifty:

Love story or no love story...Final Fantasy XII will do just fine.

kikimm
10-25-2004, 12:55 AM
Yep yep. But it WILL have one. In one way or another.

Bleh. I just want to get to KNOW these people; that's all I care about at this point. Besides::: FF1 was fun without a love story. There was something about that game that got people hooked (back then, I mean). We can survive with another FF where love isn't exactly one of the main themes. At least, I hope we all can.

Remnant
11-07-2004, 06:53 AM
They should go further, have the love story result in a child. Do one of those time-lapse fade outs when mamma wouldn't be able to fight, or something akin to that.

Think of the great attacks! You could hurl your infant at your enemies! Have twins and make baby-chucks! Or have yet another child character to annoy the crap out of everyone and disrupt the game with cutsie idiocy!

Really, I'll be happy so long as some kind of balance is struck. IV's romance barely interrupted the piling of random encounter corpses in your wake- a little too little. VII may have been a wee bit too much. VI I think was a pretty good balance, maybe something in between VI and VII.

Or hell, do it like V's. One line hinting at the possibility real early on, and then nada. ;)

blackwarrior
11-11-2004, 11:26 PM
I Know that Ashe will fall in love with Vaan....but I don't know if he ends up returning her love!