PDA

View Full Version : FF 9 emulator friendly?

Marcus
02-22-2004, 01:22 PM
Wow... I forgot I was even a member here. Typical. I joined, and then never posted. I'm such a doofus =P

And now... for my very first topic...... (And probably my very first post) I've got a question.

I used the search function, but was unable to find something actually useful. Maybe its been discussed before, but I couldn't find it.. So don't shoot me if I'm making someone repeat himself :p

I don't have a Playstation. I really don't want to buy one either, since the only games I would play on it are Final Fantasy games, and buying a whole new machine to plug into my crappy 2 inch non-panoramic small-screen remote-control lacking piece of trash television isn't exactly my idea of money well spent. But I really want to play Final Fantasy 9. And it never came out on PC. I was wondering, is there any PSX-emulator that is compatible with Final Fantasy 9? Make it at least playable till the end? I can live with minor graphical bugs or something like that, but not too much, since it will kill the experience. I don't think I have to explain that =)

Anyway... Is there anyone here that knows if there is an emulator that I can use? I haven't bought the game yet, but its still for sale in some online store here in The Netherlands... And if it's possible, is the game buggy, or maybe even 100% compatible? And should I just shove the PSX CD in my CD-Rom drive for it to work?

erm.. yeh. thats it.

Oh. And hi. My name is Marcus, I like long walks in the park.

crono_logical
02-22-2004, 05:31 PM
The European FF9 PAL version is slightly harder to get emulating correctly than the NTSC one over the waters, but it can be done - it depends on what your CD drive is capable of due to the extra copy protection on this version of the game.

ePSXe is the emulator to use, but make sure you're also using the P.E.Op.S. PSX CDR Driver for the CD plugin (search Google for Pete's Plugins or something to get that). Set the drive to use etc. correctly, then either enable subchannel reading, or use the subchannel info file in that section and click the Create SBI/M3S to make such a file (with the game CDs in the right drive). If your CD drive is fairly recent and good quality, it should be capable of the latter, which gives far better performance.

And that should be it, run the CDROM from the main emulator window. You might need to tweak the video and audio plugins to get better picture and sound depending on what your PC is capable of, but it's the CD plugin set-up thats important for this game.

Marcus
02-23-2004, 06:44 PM
Whoa, thanks. Thats a very detailed answer =)

Ordered the thing 5 minutes ago... Looks like I get to play this one too. Man, I can't wait to play around with that old school black mage =D

Silent Warrior
02-26-2004, 09:34 AM
Marcus: Just remember that Gizamaluke isn't so easy when you run into him for the first time.

Guu: Wazzup widdat Subchannel-thing? Sounds very Star Trek-ish...