PDA

View Full Version : omg mozilla firebox is teh sux

Peegee
02-22-2004, 07:37 PM
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewforum.php?f=38

120+ pages of problems ;_;

xD

Anyway, other than windows, are there any programs which you own/have causing you much grief? Right now I'm using a program that saves a screenshot of the desktop in the hard drive. It's supposed to activate when I hit the 'a' button, but now it's just automatically saving. This isn't bad, except it's saving a picture every 2 seconds. I have lots of spare memory, but the idea of deleting several thousand pictures when I wake up isn't very appealing xD

Oh and firebox sux. It won't um....give me free money. Yeah.

Yamaneko
02-22-2004, 07:47 PM
IE, MS Office, MS Java VM, WMP

Shoeberto
02-22-2004, 07:50 PM
<font color="#009999">
LINUX

I CAN'T PLAY COUNTERSTRIKE IN IT

ARGHGRHH

LUNIX SUX

escobert
02-22-2004, 07:51 PM
No everything works perfect except windows ME is evil.

Evelia
02-22-2004, 08:36 PM
You are wrong. :(

Um, programs that give me grief... Winamp. Likes to freeze.

Marcus
02-22-2004, 08:40 PM
Paint Shop Pro 6 Animation Shop. Everytime I try to paste pictures in a new GIF file, it crashes. Bugger.

Also, Silent Hill 2 now crashes at a set point everytime. I think my CD is scratched :eek: :mad2:

My Anti Virus software rarely has good news for me too.

eestlinc
02-22-2004, 09:07 PM
they fixed the dropdown menu bug so I am more than please with firefox. and they allowed smooth scrolling.

Baloki
02-22-2004, 10:19 PM
Windows ME is the bane of my existance, it is a virus upon humanity. It is the scum of the earth and I want it to die!

Not only can I not down grade it to windows 98, I can't upgrade it to Windows XP either because it blocks it!!!

Then of course I thought, I know, Linux is the cure, and it all seemed to be going well and then ME blocked the install as an 'Invalid procedure'

*Insert so much profound lanuage here that it fills 2 trillion gigs of space*

Is what i think of ME *Spits on it*

Erdrick Holmes
02-22-2004, 10:25 PM
IE=Crap Firefox= better then crap.

Loony BoB
02-22-2004, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by Evelia
Um, programs that give me grief... Winamp. Likes to freeze.
Yeah, Winamp gives me more trouble than most other things I have, too.

I'm also yet to find an FTP program that has no bugs and does everything I want it to do as fast as I want it to do it. I have FXP which is reliable but very slow and FTP Wanderer which isn't that reliable but uploads about three times as fast. It stops halfway through sometimes without any real warning, though. Still, I usually catch everything that goes wrong, so yeah. Both are very simple/user friendly and I get by with them nonetheless, as I've yet to find anything better.

crono_logical
02-22-2004, 10:27 PM
McAfee VirusScan crashes whenever I use a file that has a filename containing characters outside the standard ascii range :p I just gave up and disabled the scanner completely :p

Yahoo Messenger randomly freezes up when people send me IMs too for some reason :p

Baloki
02-22-2004, 10:48 PM
I use AceFTP freeware and it never seems to have any problems and it zips through at my full bandwidth, maybe thats worth a try BoB.

Endless
02-22-2004, 11:20 PM
Wine. Stupid program won't let me use a simple encyclopedia-like program. I gave up after trying for two hours of installing (I succeeded) only to realize it was choking to death on a dll.

On a side note, I've seen HOWTOs to make Half-Life (and by the same aspect, CS, under Linux using said Wine.

Thunday Man
02-22-2004, 11:34 PM
Windows ME = Windows Mistake Edition

anyways everything works good for me. i keep my computer in pretty good shape. i just gotta put my printer on teh network so i can print from this one.

Yamaneko
02-23-2004, 12:58 AM
I like CuteFTP. :)

MecaKane
02-23-2004, 01:13 AM
I downloaded a windows 98 ISO, virtual PC, respective keys, installed them, UNinstalled VPC, reinstalled it with options I didn't know I'd need, all so I could play Blade Runner again. <3

And it was worth it, that game is freaking awesome.

Peegee
02-23-2004, 02:36 AM
How can a ftp program allow you to upload 3x faster? That makes no sense. BoB's a fillfthy liar.

crono_logical
02-23-2004, 03:29 AM
<div align="justify">By using multiple connectins to the server :p

During the server move, I found I could get 50 k/s upload for data for this site (for a single connection), so the time to send the actual data was approximately 3 hours.

However, for each file you send, due to the FTP protocol, you must send control data to the server to tell it the filename and where to save etc. and wait for a reply saying what port to send to and if it's ready etc. - this will take at least twice the ping time between you and server - in my case 1/3 s. With approximately 60,000 files, you can now clearly see the amount of time just sitting and waiting and not actually sending files but doing "paperwork" as it were amounts to almost twice the time than it takes to upload the data itself, which is clearly stupid :p Yes, it did end up taking around 9 hours solid, even on my connection, to upload all this :p

So if an FTP program can use multiple connections to upload, then one connection could be using the bandwidth during the idle time of the other connection awaiting instructions, hence cutting the overall waiting time :p

To keep things simple (since this server is kinda more complicated on bandwidth per connection bit), if I was capped at the 50 k/s as I mentioned earlier, (which is almost twice what BoB's connection allows him to uplaod at,) then yes, I'd have seen almost a 3x improvement in upload time had I used an FTP program capable of concurrent connections and it was keeping that 50 k/s maxed out between all the connections at all times :p</div>

Chzn8r
02-23-2004, 03:49 AM
All these free programs out there...

Answer to your browser problems: Opera. (You can find keys to register it anytime)
Answer to your media player problems: iTunes (easy, full control of your library), foobar2000 (for those who love it simple, fast, etc...)
Answer to your FTP problems: SmartFTP
Answer to your messanging problems: Trillian

Those answered my problems! (IE, WMP, WS FTP, AIM)