PDA

View Full Version : Minority representations on TV

Agent Proto
02-24-2004, 02:11 AM
I was watching this show on vh1 called"TV's Illest Minority Moments presented by Ego Trip" and I find it quite appalling.

Really disappointing. There has only been three successful sitcoms with latin-american stars, with the first and most successful being "I Love Lucy." and the latest being "George Lopez" And there's a third one in between..

Anyway, what do you think about the representations of minorities on TV? Do you find it just as appalling as I do?

Mr. Graves
02-24-2004, 03:20 AM
I don't watch TV too much, but I do agree with you. Minorites gets jabbed pretty roughy. I think it's partially their fault for agreeing to accept those roles on television, though. It's not like anyone put a gun to their heads to make them be on TV to be portrayed as less than human.

I'm curious; Did the show show those moments in a positive or negative light? What I'm asking, did the show seem in favor of poor portrayals of minorities, or did it seem to be against it?

Agent Proto
02-24-2004, 03:40 AM
I don't know. It was probably more negative than postive, imo.

gokufusionss1
02-24-2004, 06:26 PM
well here in England minoritys are hugely over represented tv programs allways have indian and black people in them. maybe it's nothing to do with the race of the people good shows will be hits bad ones will dissapear into the ether.

Dingo Jellybean
02-24-2004, 07:44 PM
The US population is about 80% white...so I don't think it's racism at all or anything like that...it's just that since there are more of them, they are more likely to get TV roles.

Del Murder
02-24-2004, 08:01 PM
Hey, 'Latino Heat' Eddie Guerrero is the WWE Champion on Smackdown!. Even though he has his stereotypical qualities, he still brings it. So that's something.

Flying Mullet
02-24-2004, 08:08 PM
The fact that a tv show is making commentary about the lack of quality minority shows or the quantity of them while its title talks about the "Illest" moments is problem enough for me. Putting "Illest" in the title just reinforces stereotypes about minority cultures being hip, cool, uneducated and unmotivated yet the show seems to want to remove these stereotypes.

Agent Proto
02-24-2004, 08:44 PM
Yeah, it's been quite awhile since minorites are finally having their big moments on TV. There's still a lack of Asian-americans in prime time shows. :(