PDA

View Full Version : msbb.exe?

Xander
02-24-2004, 06:50 PM
Nothing's gone wrong with my computer at all since I got it in October, which I was happy about.

But now...

Well since yesterday, a black box has been appearing, like a DOS screen. I saw it when I started up my computer, but my mum saw it at another time.
It has a cursor symbol like this: _ which flickers about all over the box. If I use the cross to close it, it says "End Now" or "Cancel". So when I choose "end now" it closes, but when I did this today it opened itself again later on.

The filename is msbb.exe and it is located in
C:\Documents and Settings\Paula\Local Settings\Temp

I don't know what it is or how it got there. Should I just delete the file? I've ran a virus checker and that didn't pick up anything as being wrong.

Another strange thing that happened around the same time as this started happening, is that while I was on the net, my computer disconnected from it's normal ISP, and dialled up to something else, when I looked at the connection thing it said something like "Connected to DIDI". So I don't know if these two things are related or not.

I've attached a screenshot of what the window looks like, hope someone can help. >_<

Yrkoon
02-24-2004, 06:59 PM
searched for it on net it appears to be a spy ware program which would explain why virus scanner didnt pick it up.
below is the link i found on that msbb.exe thingy
http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/msbb/

get lavasoft adaware and run it to see if that msbb thing shows up :)

crono_logical
02-24-2004, 10:49 PM
<div style="text-align: justify;">Yeah, sounds like an auto-dialer - deleting it is a good idea as well as running either AdAware or Spybot S&D (make sure to update either of them to the latest definitions before scanning) to catch any other trojans/spyware/dialers you might have got :p</div>

Xander
02-25-2004, 09:17 AM
Ahhh, I thought I got rid of it as I ran the spyware thing and it quarantined loads of stuff, I also deleted the exe file. However today it's been opening again, and more weird things have happened, like when I start up my computer it says it's trying to print documents even though I never tried to print anything, and I couldn't get my Internet to work for ages today.

*sad*

I guess I'll just have to keep trying something else >_< I should update my Norton thing too as that expired ages ago. Doh.

Rostum
02-25-2004, 10:41 AM
If ALL else fails back up everything and format. =P

Peegee
02-25-2004, 03:39 PM
Reformatting is never necessary in what, 99.9% of the cases?

crono_logical
02-25-2004, 04:06 PM
<div style="text-align: justify;">It's an easy way out in most cases in Windows though, since either (usually) the user lacks the knowledge/patience to fix it so reformatting to get a new clean slate is tempting, or (not as common) there's so much that could go wrong and it's very hard to find out how to undo it since you don't know what the heck the OS is doing since it's not open like Linux :p</div>

Peegee
02-25-2004, 04:10 PM
Both true, but the *idea* is you don't usually need to reformat. Srisly, what could go so wrong that windows is literally fubar?

Xander
02-25-2004, 04:39 PM
I don't even know how to reformat it =(

I turned on the printer trying to print something and it spat out about 20 blank pages at me, and I'm sure this has something to do with it. Everytime I delete msbb.exe it just comes back again in the same folder where it was. There must be some other way =( Wish my brother was here, he's good with this stuff >_<

Peegee
02-25-2004, 05:04 PM
update your virus and spyware checkers, then run them again. :p

Xander
02-25-2004, 05:17 PM
I updated the virus one..I think I found something on the net which says to delete these certain files and stuff so I'm going to try that, I'll report back if it worked ^_^ *hopes*

Kirobaito
02-25-2004, 11:07 PM
I once had the same program on my pc. But it was a broken copy. It just loaded up a "missing dll file needed to run this program" error message everytime I started it, so I never had a problem with it, besides annoyance with that message. I eventually deleted it, but it never reappeared.

Xander
02-27-2004, 12:46 AM
I think I've gotten rid of it now, thanks everyone especially Yrkoony for the help =)

Yrkoon
02-27-2004, 12:59 AM
np just glad it worked :)