PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy I - IV FAQ

TheAbominatrix
02-25-2004, 06:49 AM
Q: Why is Final Fantasy IV also called Final Fantasy II? If IV is II, then what is Final Fantasy II for origins?
A: Look, here's a handy-dandy chart to explain it!

Japan __________________________ US
Final Fantasy I ------------------ Final Fantasy I (NES), Final Fantasy I (Origins)
Final Fantasy II------------------ Final Fantasy II (Origins)
Final Fantasy III----------------- Not released in America
Final Fantasy IV-----------------Final Fantasy II (SNES), Final Fantasy IV (Chronicles)
Final Fantasy V----------------- Final Fantasy V (Anthologies)
Final Fantasy VI---------------- Final Fantasy III (SNES), Final Fantasy VI (Anthologies)

Every other Final Fantasy title has been released under the same name in both Japan and America.

Q: What's the difference between FFIV hardtype and easytype? (thanks to Big D for the suggestion and Bahamut2000x for pointing out my dumbness. Also, major credit to The Vault of Arcane Lore (http://www.geocities.com/arcanelore2001/articles/ff4wrong/) where I got this information from)
A: Well IV was released in Japan as two different versions. Hardtype and easytype. Hardtype is the version you see in Chronicles, easytype was a version made for Japanese kids, and is easier, as the name suggests. Differences include an alternate look for Zeromus, some different names and properties for weapons and armor (ribbon not only prevents status ailments, but absorbs the three basic elements).

Now, when Final Fantasy II was released in the US, it bore many of the qualities of Easytype, though it wasnt at all a remake of that game. II is easier by far than IV, but it doesnt have all the stuff I mentioned above. Follow that link up there for a more extensive explination.

If you think of anything to be added, please PM it to me or a handy-dandy Cid's Knight or Admin.

Chris
09-28-2004, 02:28 PM
Final Fantasy I-IV

This thread is merely a FAQ list of the early Final Fantasy Games.
I wanted once and for all state the availability of the early Final-
Fantasy games starting from FFI to FFIV.

1. Final Fantasy I
The first Final Fantasy game was first released for the NES back in 1987.
Even though it’s been seventeen years since its release it can still be
Found in several of flea markets and thrift shops.
In the recent couple years its availability has been extended to the PSX in a
Package called “Final Fantasy Origins.”
It’s also scheduled for a release on the GBA with the title “Dawn of Souls.”
The package will also include Final Fantasy II.

2. Final Fantasy II
Is one of the three Final Fantasies that never made it to the States.
Final Fantasy II featured one of the must unique game plays ever in the
Entire Final Fantasy series. Personally Final Fantasy II has become on of
My personal favorites. Final Fantasy II cannot be found in any stores or
Markets outside Japan, so if you want your hands on the original game you’re
Only option is downloading a rom or a trip to Japan.
Final Fantasy II was also released for the PSX in 2003 alongside Final Fantasy
I we saw the release in the special package named “Final Fantasy Origins.”

3. Final Fantasy III
Final Fantasy III is the only game that’s not been release for any consoles yet.
Many fans of the series has been urging for a release, but I’ve mailed
Square Enix several of times about this, but I’ve never managed to get
A proper answer, so, I guess this means that Square doesn’t have any
Plans for a Final Fantasy III release for the time being that is.
But I bet that Square has some kind of a plan for Final Fantasy III,
We just have to be patient and pray for a release.

4. Final Fantasy IV
The first game that made it to the U.S, for many Final Fantasy IV were their
First introduction to Final Fantasy and to this day it’s still held as the best
Final Fantasy game to many, not me though LOL.
The original game was first release with the title Final Fantasy II in the U.S
And it can still be found in different shops and flea markets.
The game has also been released for the PSX in the U.S, together
With Chrono Trigger in the special package “Final Fantasy Chronicles.”
It was also released in the European edition of Final Fantasy Anthology.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
09-28-2004, 02:36 PM
Square Enix has said as recently as a couple months ago that they still intend to rerelease FFIII in some form.

Final Fantasy Chronicles consists of FFIV and Chrono Trigger, not Chrono Cross.

Flea market, not "flee" market.

Chris
09-28-2004, 02:42 PM
I've fixed it. :D

Storm
09-29-2004, 02:47 AM
You do realize there is a "FF I-IV FAQ" sticky above this thread posted by The Abominatrix. I'm actually amazed you did not click in this thread first and observe this comment:

If you think of anything to be added, please PM it to me or a handy-dandy Cid's Knight or Admin.

Rase
09-29-2004, 06:00 AM
The first game that made it to the U.S,

Um, that'd be FFI.

And yes, listen to Storm, for once in his rlife, he's right. :eek:

Dragonfire
09-29-2004, 07:05 AM
Correction to Final Fantasy 1:
It was released in Japan in 1987 for the Famicom not on NES in the United States. It didn't come to the NES in America until 1990.

Del Murder
10-02-2004, 05:02 PM
Merged 'em.

theundeadhero
11-28-2007, 10:00 PM
Many people believe that the Black Belt/Master is a horrible class because they cannot equip any armor without their Absorb rating going down to one. This is a big deal because of the Ribbon and possibly the Proring. The Ribbon protects against special attacks. With one equiped the various dragons at the end of the game only do a fourth of their special attack's damage. Prorings protect against instant death spells and petrifying. Many people are wrong. It's true that if they only equip a Ribbon or only a Proring their Absorb drops to one. There's a way around this. If a Master equips a Golden Bracelet or an Opal Bracelet it will raise their Absorb rating while only dropping their Evade rating by one point. After one is equiped the Ribbon and the Proring will both increase their Absorb while only dropping their Evade by one point each. It may also be true with Black Belts but I only found out after the class change so I can't go back to check. It's definately possible to equip a Black Belt with a Gold Bracelet and a Proring before the class change, but unless you skip changing entirely you will be a Master before getting a Ribbon.

I can't check with the Origins or Dawn of Souls, but it worked in the NES version.