PDA

View Full Version : Living in England

Mr.Money
02-25-2004, 11:24 AM
Just a quick question. When I graduate from college (when I get there, actually) I wanted to move to England. I'm sick of living in Canada, but I've heard some stories about England being extremely expensive, so I've a couple of questions:

1. If you're from Canada and you intend on living in England, you have to pass a test to become an English citizen, correct?

2. If you're from Canada and you DONT have an english citizenship, can you still work there?

3. Is rent expensive for a flat?

4. I heard food is extremely expensive there. Is this true?

Thanks. Feel free to talk about your experiences living in England.

Loony BoB
02-25-2004, 11:59 AM
You could say it's expensive to live here, but it really depends on where in England you live - and, as with all countries, the amount you earn and the amount you spend stays pretty much relative.

Iceglow
02-25-2004, 01:05 PM
ok well to answer some questions, you must hold a visa that allows you to work or live in the uk or brittish citizenship (passport) to work in the UK.

rent for a flat is generally around £200+ dependant on size of flat also the area in london a studio can cost £600 per month in canadian dollars should you find a flat at £200 per month your looking at 502.18 Canadian dollars per month 600 well times that figure by 3 on top of this you pay concil tax which is dependant on the area you live in in my area its around £1500 per year (3,766.35 canadian).

I don't know about passing a test to become a citizen like in the USA but I know you have to apply and the security services of the government check out your details and if you fail you generally get deported to another country either the one you came from or the nearest friendly country.

Food is relative to the currency over here on £150 a person with a big appetite can eat comfortably for a week or two but average minimum wages are 4.50 a hour so watch out if you think working in blockbuster will pay the bills on a 10 hour contract guess again

gokufusionss1
02-25-2004, 01:07 PM
1. If you're from Canada and you intend on living in England, you have to pass a test to become an English citizen, correct?

You have to apply but it's a lot easier if you have a commonwealth passport or direct British parentage

2. If you're from Canada and you DONT have an english citizenship, can you still work there?

You can apply for a work permit.

crono_logical
02-25-2004, 02:02 PM
<div style="text-align: justify;">£150 for food? That's extravagant to me, I'd think £50 would be more than enough for a week, though I don't usually spend more than £25-£30 a week.</div>

escobert
02-25-2004, 03:03 PM
I spend $150 a week on food. geeze.

crono_logical
02-25-2004, 03:53 PM
Feel free to feed the fat American stereotype around the rest of the world :p

I'm guessing it's probably alcohol people spend too much on though, really, it certainly seem that way here in the case of some people - not drinking does wonders on your bank account compared to others :p

Peegee
02-25-2004, 03:54 PM
If I don't eat out, I probably would spend about 10-15$ a week on food.

Maxico
02-25-2004, 04:35 PM
I think we spend about 70-90 quid on food. I know that a one bedroom flat in west londond can cost £280 a month. And PG if you didn't go out you would spend more on food at home. Unless you were counting that. Or you fast.

Rainecloud
02-25-2004, 05:30 PM
I certainly hope not. If there is a test, I'm not aware of one.

As far as I know, yes.

3. Is rent expensive for a flat?
Oh, absolutely. You'll be searching for money on the streets.

4. I heard food is extremely expensive there. Is this true?
If you want to live on junk food, then no. There's one main thing you need to know about England, and that is: everything's expensive.

To be quite honest, you'd probably enjoy it more if you relocated to hell. :)

Harmless Pigeon
02-25-2004, 06:07 PM
Everything is expensive here-but it's relative to how much you get paid. MY advice is to alway use public transport - petrol is far more expensive here.
You do get better holidays in England though.

Baloki
02-27-2004, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Harmless Pigeon
Everything is expensive here-but it's relative to how much you get paid. MY advice is to alway use public transport - petrol is far more expensive here.
You do get better holidays in England though.

My advice is don't use public transport, it never works, walk, its far safer.

Ok, to move here you have two options, (a) get a job before you move here (a job in the UK of course) and then apply for a work Visa, therefore you can prove you'll have the means to live. (b) Do a family tree of your past, if you have english relations (within 3/4 generations I think it is) then you can apply for a British Passport.

If you get a job in the UK, then it won't matter if the UK is more expensive then Canada because you will earn more. It sounds silly I know, but as you'll be earning pounds not dollars it will work out. So you'll find your not poor.

It is a well known fact that it is cheaper to live up north. But flat prices range massivly, so when you move here, don't pick a flat straight away, book yourself into a B&B and search out the cheapest, but nicest flat you can afford within your budget. Also when you get your job, see if the company you work for has any plans or benefits that will go towards helping you cover the cost of your rent.

Food, well its not that expensive if you shop around. For all your main food needs, goto the three main super markets, Tescos, Asda and Sainsburys, look for the bargins then have, always a cheap source of food. FOr all your fruit and vegitables goto the local markets, its fresh and relativly cheap.

The one food item you will find expensive is Chocolate, so try to give it up before you move over. Also cigeretes and booze are some of the most expensive in the world, so if you want to buy either book a cheap ryanair flight (£1 is the usual plus £20 air tax) to spain or Italy, stay the night and pick up all your fag and drink needs. Remember Pubs are the most expensive place to eat, never eat there, go to a nice cafe or resturant.

I think I covered all the points, hope it helps :)

Adeselna
02-27-2004, 01:11 PM
I'm tired of living in Portugal! You don't know how awfull it is! I want to live in England, with he red buses, people talking british, the underground! And shopping! Everything in England is really beautiful! Here in Oporto you only cars and cars and buldings, it's do unfunny!:freak:

Baloki
02-27-2004, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Adeselna
I'm tired of living in Portugal! You don't know how awfull it is! I want to live in England, with he red buses, people talking british, the underground! And shopping! Everything in England is really beautiful! Here in Oporto you only cars and cars and buldings, it's do unfunny!:freak:

Well, your part of the EU, you can just move over whenever you feel like it.

crono_logical
02-27-2004, 02:17 PM
The underground sucks. Well, maybe the speed is good, when it's actually going :p

Maxico
02-27-2004, 07:17 PM
The rail sevice is terrible. They just grind to a halt for silly silly reasons e.g. There are leave on the track, Its the wrong type of snow (no lies). Once when I was with my family in dover we got a free ferry ride to france (freinds in high places). We left at 5, got back at 7 and saved £50 :P.

Burtsplurt
02-27-2004, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by Adeselna
I want to live in England, with he red buses, people talking british, the underground! And shopping! Everything in England is really beautiful!

Don't believe all those English stereotypes, Adelselna. I haven't seen a red bus for a decade, half the people in England don't know proper English, and the underground is full of crazy people and, even worse... businessmen.

England is probably quite expensive, but most of it's from things you wouldn't think of. Food, rent and diesel are cheap enough; water, gas, council tax and all that other rubbish isn't!

Baloki
02-27-2004, 08:49 PM
We have red and yellow buses.

And I know they have red buses in London, I've seen them!

Burtsplurt
02-27-2004, 08:59 PM
London only has red buses because it's the home of Satan. :)

Baloki
02-27-2004, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by Burtsplurt

And so?

Maxico
02-27-2004, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by Burtsplurt

You only say that because its dirty and my lungs will fail at 26 because of the pollution. Yes we have red busses. And double decker red buses. And those old routmaster red buses with a platform at the back you have to jump on to get on. But there being phased out :grr: . And as for satan, if you dont vote for him he cant touch you.

Kirobaito
02-28-2004, 02:34 AM
I wanna move to Scotland after college and live there for a year. How's it up there?

Dragonflame
02-28-2004, 07:13 PM
What's special about England? I want to move to Tajikistan.

*packs up and leaves*

Jack
02-29-2004, 12:45 AM
England is rubbish. Nuff said

and i would know, i live her. The only reason i want to be a english Teacher is so i can get out of here and go to Fiji or USA or Canada. In some time, i may have to ask you lot how to get to Canada.../..