PDA

View Full Version : Golbeze Devil Incarnate

Marcus
02-25-2004, 04:17 PM
I've been playing a lot of Final Fantasy 4 at the moment, enjoying it a lot, never finished it, and now I'm going to try that on HardType, which is harder(duh), but way more fun...

But what strikes me as odd, is that noone ever mentions Golbeze as being the ultimate enemy. I mean, he's way more evil than other FF enemies.. He kidnaps people, takes control of their minds, kills tons of people and whatnot, he has this scary yellow/blue dark armor... I mean, he is pure evil. Way more evil than Sepiroth, for instance. In my opinion, at least.

Go on. Admit it. You hate him.

The Man
02-25-2004, 04:21 PM
The only problem with Golbeza being "the ultimate villain" is he's not acting himself; he's subjected to mind control for most of the events of the game, and once he is freed of that, he stops being evil.

Marcus
02-25-2004, 04:24 PM
Right. I really want to know why you don't think Golbeze is evil, but I haven't finished the game yet. And I hate spoilers. Man, I just set a trap for myself. =(

The Man
02-25-2004, 04:25 PM
Yup, pretty much. But indeed, he's bad-ass as HELL for the first three-quarters of the game at least; IMO, he makes Sephiroth look like the harmless little muppet that he is.

Flying Mullet
02-25-2004, 04:26 PM
Then I guess that I shouldn't mention that Cecil dies.

Just kidding. :) :p

Marcus
02-25-2004, 04:32 PM
Heehee, you had me there for a sec =)

DJZen
03-03-2004, 03:15 AM
FF4 just has plot issues. Things seem like they might have been thrown together slopilly at the last minute. For example you're collecting the crystals of lights because whoever gets them is all powerful and what-not. Then OMG!!!!!111 I just remembered! You need the crystals of light AND the crystals of dark! Oh, BTW, Cecil, I just remembered, Golbez is also your brother.

Flying Mullet
03-03-2004, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by DJzen
FF4 just has plot issues. Things seem like they might have been thrown together slopilly at the last minute. For example you're collecting the crystals of lights because whoever gets them is all powerful and what-not. Then OMG!!!!!111 I just remembered! You need the crystals of light AND the crystals of dark! Oh, BTW, Cecil, I just remembered, Golbez is also your brother.
Not really, that all makes sense. The only reason Cecil's party finds out about the dark crystals is because Kain tells them what he overheard when he was with Golbez, as he "broke free" of the mind control of Golbez during Rosa's rescue. And as for Golbez being Cecil's brother, if I remember correctly FuSoYa tells the party that, so they had no way of finding out until they got to the moon.

Del Murder
03-03-2004, 05:56 PM
I wish he joined you at some point. That wouldn't have been cool. He was a pretty good villain for his part.

Flying Mullet
03-03-2004, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by Del Murder
I wish he joined you at some point. That wouldn't have been cool. He was a pretty good villain for his part.
wouldn't :confused:

Bahamut2000X
03-03-2004, 10:25 PM
Golbez was one of the best villians in my opinion. I remember waiting for the next FF (FFVI back in the day) to come out I would just replay FFIV over and over and Golbez always seemed to me, to be the true evil bad guy through out the entire thing. And I'm sure Golbez could beat most of the pathetic villians now a days in FF's who claim to be badd ass.

Del Murder
03-03-2004, 11:46 PM
Heh, sometimes the words go through my head so fast that my fingers can't remember them.

Flying Mullet
03-04-2004, 01:56 AM
Originally posted by Del Murder
Heh, sometimes the words go through my head so fast that my fingers can't remember them.
mean I know what you. ;)

AaronD
05-20-2004, 04:05 AM
Golbez in my own words is the devil-reincarnate lol...i have played this game over and over on SNES in this case its called FF2. same thing except you dont get Cecils dark sword ability or whatever. But Golbez is hardcore with his devil horn helmet and just beastly size...he is the devil

DJZen
05-20-2004, 05:21 AM
Oh, there's quite a few more differences than that....

Rase
05-26-2004, 04:58 AM
Yeah, quite a few differences.

But yeah, Golbeze is, in my opinion, the ULTIMATE enemy. That and his look is simply RADIATING evil.

Rei
05-27-2004, 01:44 AM
I'll have to agree. He looks like a complete badass with the black and gold armor, and bombs the hell out of everyone else, invades, and kicks ass. He's not some all-powerful "Let's-Fug-Up-The-World-Because-I-Can" guy. He's what I imagine the US president would be if the President were a tyrant and decided to pimp the crap out of everyone else. Damn cool.

That is, until he becomes a wuss.

TasteyPies
05-27-2004, 02:48 AM
Yeah he would be the coolest enemy if he realy was one

Cire Avlisad
05-27-2004, 07:55 AM
He's what I imagine the US president would be if the President were a tyrant and decided to pimp the crap out of everyone else.

Sounds like him to me.

DJZen
05-29-2004, 12:58 AM
He's not some all-powerful "Let's-Fug-Up-The-World-Because-I-Can" guy. He's what I imagine the US president would be if the President were a tyrant and decided to pimp the crap out of everyone else.

Isn't that the exact same thing?

And isn't that what the US president is actually attempting to do?

Rei
05-29-2004, 02:41 AM
He had a goal, though. Get the crystals and then do, well, you know. Add that on the the President-Tyrant bit and it works better.

And no.

The Man
05-31-2004, 03:07 PM
I'd like Bush a lot more if he were more like Golbeza, I think.

Rase
05-31-2004, 04:58 PM
Because then the whole world would hate us?

DJZen
05-31-2004, 07:16 PM
They already do.

......This is getting way off topic.....

I don't consider Golbez the ultimate evil though. I mean, the spoiler mentioned earlier is why, but I also just think you can't beat Garland. I mean, c'mon, he wants to make you all fall down!

The Man
05-31-2004, 07:39 PM
Because then the whole world would hate us?
The whole world already hates us, but at least Golbeza is honest about being evil.

aeris2001x2
06-05-2004, 12:38 AM
to be honest Golbez is Really cool but i prefer Sephiroth, simply cause he is just as evil, has just a cool theme...and has one one thing Golbez doesnt...really cool and long hair!!! :love:

Takara
06-05-2004, 07:24 AM
What tells you he doesn't have long hair under that helmet? :p

Dragoon_Kain
06-06-2004, 07:39 AM
Have to agree with Aeris on this one. Sephiroth is the ultimate nemesis. I mean besides how evil was golbez really?
Spehiroth > all

The Man
06-07-2004, 01:14 AM
How evil was Sephiroth really, considering that he was obviously being manipulated by Jenova the whole game?

aeris2001x2
06-07-2004, 10:04 AM
The man, please dont resurrect that debate... i BEG u :eek:

i wrote a whole essay on how jenova attempted to manipulate sephiroth, but in reality was counter manipulated by sephiroth...u do NOT want 2 get me going like that again...

Rase
06-07-2004, 02:59 PM
i wrote a whole essay on how jenova attempted to manipulate sephiroth, but in reality was counter manipulated by sephiroth

Either you have a whole lot of free time or no life.

The Man
06-07-2004, 05:46 PM
I wasn't the one who made the claim that Sephiroth was "more evil" than Golbez.

It doesn't matter how evil they really are, anyway; what does matter is how evil they come across as. And I found Golbez to be a lot more imposing as an adversary than Sephiroth.

aeris2001x2
06-08-2004, 09:17 PM
Either you have a whole lot of free time or no life.

lol why cant i have both? :D

Dragoon_Kain
06-10-2004, 05:11 AM
A puppet, or a person whom through the use of pure consciousness manages to bring an entire world to the brink of total destruction. I'd go into the whole sephiroth being controled by jenova deal, but as i am still very new to these forums, i aint figured what color i need to use to hide the spoilers. once i do, i'll make a post concerning that issue.

D_K

Rase
06-10-2004, 02:59 PM
Type *type what you want to hide in here* , replacing the X's with the word "spoilers".

Dragoon_Kain
06-11-2004, 04:57 AM
OK this post is nothing but a bunch of spoilers for FFIV and FFVII. First off Golbez was released from the Zeromus' spell. Zeromus didn't even have to die to release him. Sephiroth on the other hand, was locked inside a huge piece of materia, and did everything you saw throught the game using only his consciousness. And if he was bein controlled by Jenova, then when you defeat the final Jenova at the end of the game, he would have been released. He wasn't being controlled, he was genuinely insane. He went mad when he thought he was created rather than born. Had the records found in Shinra mansion stated that he was born from Lucrecia and Hojo, then maybe his phsyce wouldn't have snapped, and this whole game would never have occurred. So how you manage to derive that Sephiroth was bein controlled by Jenova is beyond me.

D_K

aeris2001x2
06-11-2004, 05:04 AM
of course the truth was since sephiroth was injected with jenova cells in the womb it had merged with his dna. his genetic make up was now actually much more then a few cells...he was jenova in effect and had the free will to msnipulate jenova to his desires...ok stop...i,m sorry, but dont get me started...seriously u dont dont want me 2 go on.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
06-11-2004, 06:17 AM
You can discuss Sephiroth in this thread (http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=43531). This thread is about Golbeza.

aeris2001x2
06-11-2004, 06:26 AM
yep already posted there sometime ago, it was THERE FAULT...they made me do it! :D

AaronD
06-18-2004, 05:10 AM
sephiroth looks like a candy-ass biatch compared to golbez..sephiroth never made me worry about my party when u fought him he was a pushover the whole game....golbez on the other hand dealt out more punishment to cecil alone than sephiroth could ever take.

Behold the Void
06-22-2004, 08:55 AM
Golbez was pretty intimidating until the spoilers happen which I won't bother to repeat.

Then he becomes a pansy.

If I recall, FuSoYa and Golbez crack off White Meteo at Zeromus and don't even scratch it.

Jecht Shot
06-22-2004, 02:25 PM
Then that only makes Zeromus the ultimate badass, with Golbez in second

:p

Rase
06-22-2004, 04:09 PM
Yeah, but which looks cooler? A blue hairball/cliched alien looking thing or Golbez

Kawaii Ryűkishi
06-23-2004, 01:38 AM
If I recall, FuSoYa and Golbez crack off White Meteo at Zeromus and don't even scratch it.For the record, it's Double Meteor, not White Meteor.

DJZen
06-23-2004, 03:34 AM
Yeah, but which looks cooler? A blue hairball/cliched alien looking thing or Golbez

Hmmm, cliche alien monster thing, or cliche dark knight wearing cliche "spooky" armor...... that's a tough call, man.

Rase
06-23-2004, 06:14 AM
For the record, it's Double Meteor, not White Meteor.

In the SNES version, it's called W. Meteo, which can only be assumed stands for White Meteo.

Hmmm, cliche alien monster thing, or cliche dark knight wearing cliche "spooky" armor...... that's a tough call, man.

Not really, in my humble opinion. ;)

DJZen
06-23-2004, 07:01 PM
In the SNES version, it's called W. Meteo, which can only be assumed stands for White Meteo.

"W" is sort of like Square's way of saying "Double" or "X2". This is why later games have "W Magic", "W Summon" and "W Item".

Rase
06-23-2004, 07:45 PM
OKay. Seems odd, but then, translation usually is.

The Man
06-27-2004, 12:31 AM
I think it has something to do with the way "Double" is represented in Japanese, but I don't exactly understand it myself.

Anyway, I thought the plot device of having Golbeza controlled by Zemus (not Zeromus, Zeromus was the manifestation of Zemus' hatred) was rather lame, myself; Zemus doesn't receive near the kind of development Golbeza did, and having Golbeza be controlled by Zemus destroyed a perfectly good badass character.

aeris2001x2
06-27-2004, 01:29 PM
true. it would have been much better if golbez
had been possessed by Zemus (like edea was possessed by ultimecia) cause then it would have been the main enemy personality u battle all the time. of course it would have been MUCH BETTER then Ultimecia,s crap personality.

Edit by Kishi: Mark your spoilers.

Heath
06-27-2004, 01:50 PM
true. it would have been much better if golbez
had been possessed by Zemus (like edea was possessed by ultimecia) cause then it would have been the main enemy personality u battle all the time. of course it would have been MUCH BETTER then Ultimecia,s crap personality.

Er... you should really mark your FFVIII spoilers. And Golbeza was being controlled by Zemus, as The Man pointed out in his last post..

Edit by Kishi: Starts with an "s," ends with a "poiler."

aeris2001x2
06-27-2004, 06:04 PM
yes i said it would have been better if he was POSSESSED, not controlled. Golbez was brainwashed. please read what i write.

and the title of my post was SPOILERS!

Heath
06-28-2004, 07:53 PM
Yes, you did point out spoilers, but this is the "Final Fantasy I-IV" forum. No mention of VIII there, therefore people aren't going to be expecting spoilers for VIII in this marked thread are they?

And aren't controlled and possessed pretty much the same thing? If you're possessed you're being controlled. Might not work vice versa, but it certainly works that way.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
06-28-2004, 08:42 PM
I think what he means is that it would have been better if Zemus had actually spoken through Golbeza while he was controlling him, instead of Golbeza speaking for himself, just kept along an evil path by Zemus's control. But, while that would mean more personality for Zemus, it would also mean that Golbeza wouldn't have any character at all until nearly the end of the game.

aeris2001x2
06-28-2004, 09:11 PM
lol i,m just hiding that i dont know how to insert spoiler tags despite my many moons as a member of this forum.

yep Kawaii thats what i meant and i agree with what u say against it, makes alot of sense. I just dont like Zemus having no personality.

Rase
06-28-2004, 09:32 PM
Spoiler Tutorial:
To mark spoilers, type the following: spoilers XXXXXX /spoilers, with the word spoilers and /spoilers encased in Brackets. Example: [spoiler]s

aeris2001x2
06-28-2004, 09:58 PM
thanks. my biggest problem is i,ve never had a situation to use them yet so i,ve never learned it. i hate the item drop encounter in this game and i wanna marry Rydia

Ultima Shadow
06-28-2004, 10:07 PM
yep Kawaii thats what i meant and i agree with what u say against it, makes alot of sense. I just dont like Zemus having no personality.
He's only in the game for a short moment. It's hard to give him a personality in 2 seconds.

aeris2001x2
06-28-2004, 10:11 PM
yeah thats why i dont like it. reminds me of Ultimecia in ff8 who sucked

The Man
06-29-2004, 08:44 AM
I think what he means is that it would have been better if Zemus had actually spoken through Golbeza while he was controlling him, instead of Golbeza speaking for himself, just kept along an evil path by Zemus's control. But, while that would mean more personality for Zemus, it would also mean that Golbeza wouldn't have any character at all until nearly the end of the game.
Kishi knows me too well.

I guess it was a tremendous disappointment to have such a badass character turn out not to be a badass at all. Okay, okay, he's still somewhatof a badass with his dark armour and his superhuman strength, but losing the "Imposing Villain" motif kind of undoes a lot of the effect of lines like "It's been such a pleasure defeating you; we must do it again sometime, and since I have the girl, there'll be a next time."

I suppose it could be argued that it IS Zemus speaking through Golbeza, given that his method of speech changes dramatically after the mind control spell is broken. The game doesn't develop Zemus enough for us to know.

The best solution probably would have been for us to learn more about Golbeza after the mind control spell is undone, and to learn more about Zemus period. Having Golbeza mosy off with FuSoYa right after the mind control spell is undone not only prevents us from seeing what he'd be like as a party member, but it prevents us from learning of his true personality. And the only time we see Zemus at all is right before Golbeza and FuSoYa defeat him and he transforms into Zeromus.

In other circumstances, I'd suggest eliminating the middleman entirely, since I generally hate "manipulation" stories for the most part, but that would undo a lot of the thematic purpose of FFIV.

Seryn Kai
07-29-2004, 11:31 AM
I don't think that the mind control spoiled anything. All that it means is that Zemus/Zeromus is the actual villain and not Golbez.

AaronD
08-13-2004, 05:34 AM
Zeromus as the Final boss in ff2/ff4 was stupid, he came completely out of left field and it didnt lead up When i started playing this game when i was like 9 i would have though golbez was the final boss but nope they took my dream away

Dr. Casey
09-24-2004, 04:51 AM
Speaking of Golbeze, having 9,999 damage inflicted on him with Meteo was amazing the first time I played it. I mean, FF4 was one of the first RPG's I played, so that stuff left an impression.