PDA

View Full Version : Bands whose songs sound the same (to you)

Cid
02-26-2004, 09:27 PM
I'll start:

Linkin Park

Loony BoB
02-26-2004, 09:30 PM
Aww, you took the good one. :(

eestlinc
02-26-2004, 09:37 PM
Godsmack

jrgen
02-26-2004, 09:39 PM
Cannibal corpse.

And Swedish dancebands.
They are very popular amongst people over 50 years old.
There are like 10000 bands whose all songs sound exactly the same.
All lyrics are like "let's grow old together and love
eachother until our grandchildren get jobs. yeah, yeah!"

I have absolutely no respect for people who enjoys it.
They must have some serious mental dissorders to listen to that without being forced.

Loony BoB
02-26-2004, 09:43 PM
The Feelers

But I forgive them because I still like the sound of them.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
02-26-2004, 09:51 PM
Arlibido. :aimsmile:

Zell's Fists of Fury
02-26-2004, 10:09 PM
Everclear.

Kirobaito
02-26-2004, 10:10 PM
Diamond Rio

What, no one's ever heard of them?

Sephex
02-26-2004, 10:10 PM
Most bands in the techno genre.

White Raven
02-26-2004, 10:54 PM
When I first heard Creed and Nicleback, they sounded sorta alike to me. Green Day's sorta sound all the same, but I like them nonetheless.

Erdrick Holmes
02-26-2004, 10:59 PM
Slipknot

fire_of_avalon
02-26-2004, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by King Bahamut
Diamond Rio

What, no one's ever heard of them?

*raises hand*

Post 80's Aerosmith. They so suck now. Sorry if y'all don't think so, but they do.

Jack
02-26-2004, 11:19 PM
Oh God.....

Westlife
All "punk" nowadays, I hate it all

Cid
02-27-2004, 12:35 AM
Green Day.. sometimes.

Skogs
02-27-2004, 12:47 AM
The Strokes

Tokki Wartooth
02-27-2004, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by Kawaii Ryűkishi
Arlibido. :aimsmile:
die please :</b>(

Kawaii Ryűkishi
02-27-2004, 01:52 AM
I hurt because I love.

Chzn8r
02-27-2004, 04:49 AM
There's too many bands I want to name. I won't even bother. Really, the entire discographies of most really popular bands today... so recycled it's just disappointing.

Erdrick Holmes
02-27-2004, 02:04 PM
Almost all of todays rap groups

Teeny bopper boybands

I said Slipknot, didn't I? *looks up* yeah I did.

TheAbominatrix
02-27-2004, 02:08 PM
Blink 182. Their slower songs not so much, but everything else sounds exactly the same to me.

escobert
02-27-2004, 03:20 PM
I was going to say linkin park and blink 182.

hmmmmm Most "punk" nowadays soounds the same as legolas said.
I think P.diddy sounds the same as he always has.

edczxcvbnm
02-27-2004, 07:11 PM
Almost any group who plays fewer than 5 instruments.

All their songs sound about the same in the end.

Cid
02-27-2004, 07:15 PM
Metallica.

Emerald Aeris
02-27-2004, 07:17 PM
Nickelback, Default, Linkin Park, Good Charlotte, Blink 182, the Strokes, Evanescence, Brittany Spears, Slipknot, Marilyn Manson, System of a Down, Disturbed, and many more I'm not thinking of right now.

Edit: Jesus, yes, Metallica. The new stuff, anyway. Shouldn't they be pulling their heads out of their asses sometime soon?

jrgen
02-27-2004, 10:26 PM
You gotta be kidding me about Metallica.
They have changed their style so much.
They started making just really awsome music in the
80s and continued making it with a big change of sound in every new album.

Then they made Black album in 1991(I think) which was a lot more commercial.

Then they started making "mtv material" until St. Anger which also had a completely new sound.

You may not like them but all their songs do NOT sound the same.

They have changed more then most bands I know of.
(And for the worse. They should've quit after And Justice for all.)

Advent Child
02-28-2004, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by Joel
Almost all of todays rap groups
THANK YOU!
All rap is abysmal and sounds exactly the same. Well, they have 2 song kinds: crappy and abysmal. Crappy is just all rap, except abysmal rap. Abysmal rap is rap in which the rapper could be easily mistaken for someone without vocal chords.

Del Murder
02-28-2004, 02:14 AM
Creed and...

The Beatles. *runs*

TheAbominatrix
02-28-2004, 02:29 AM
*stabs Del*

The Man
02-28-2004, 02:49 AM
how the hell could you think all beatles music sounds the same?

as for rap, it all sounds the same until you start listening to it closely. give the beastie boys' album paul's boutique a listen though, that's really varied yet all the songs can't really qualify as anything other than rap.

and new metallica is crap, i think that's almost universally agreed. anything before 1990 was great though.

Big D
02-28-2004, 04:15 AM
If there's a style of music that you don't like and seldom listen to, chances are that it'll all sound the same to you. It's only natural. If you don't appreciate something and pay close attention to it, it's all going to seem pretty similar. Hence why all hip-hop sounds the same to non-fans, even though there's a lot of variation, and why classical, romantic, baroque and most opera is completely identical in the minds of today's kids.

Same goes for any art form, really. Expressionist painting is a good example...

As for me, most contemporary boy-bands sound pretty much the same.

Del Murder
02-28-2004, 04:22 AM
But I like the Beatles. I just think most of thier songs sound the same. It's like one of them rolls of all-cherry Life Savers, they're all the same but it's still good.

black orb
02-28-2004, 07:29 AM
>>> Hip-hop music sound the same to me..

Emerald Aeris
02-28-2004, 03:02 PM
Blackbird and Come Together = the same?

And I'll note that I said -new- Metallica. Sure, they do have a new sound, and it sucks.

jrgen
02-28-2004, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by Emerald Aeris
And I'll note that I said -new- Metallica. Sure, they do have a new sound, and it sucks.
But this thread is about bands not albums.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
02-28-2004, 04:14 PM
Just because they didn't change their name to Sucky Metallica doesn't mean they didn't become a different band after a certain period.

Sephex
02-28-2004, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Emerald Aeris
Marilyn Manson

I wasn't going to defend Manson, but I see that a bunch of people are doing that to other bands sooo....

I will give you that if you listen to MOST of Manson's mainstream songs, there are similar patterns in the way the songs are played (espeically "the beautiful people" and "disposable teens", but that was done on purpose because three of Manson's albums connect). However, all of Manson's albums as a whole are extremely different from one another. Most notably "Mechanical Animals" and "The Golden Age of Grotesque".

So yeah, that was my little fact of the day.

Leeza
02-28-2004, 05:18 PM
Thank you for saying that, Sephex. Marilyn Manson being mentioned as someone whose music all sounds the same definitely needed defending. Of course, I guess that is an understandable statement coming from anyone who rarely listens to the music. He's different not only in his music, but also in his presentation of the music.

White Raven
02-28-2004, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by Del Murder
The Beatles. *runs*

*does not know where to start*

Theire music is the most diverse compared to everything that I've ever heard. They have slow songs, fast songs, 4 talented musicians and none of their albums had no hits on 'em. Sure, a lot of their first songs were aboot love and stuff, but they were still awsome. Take Seargent Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band...find 2 songs that sound the same on that.

TheAbominatrix
02-28-2004, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by Kawaii Ryűkishi
Just because they didn't change their name to Sucky Metallica doesn't mean they didn't become a different band after a certain period.

Everyday my love for you grows.

IGN64skanker
02-28-2004, 08:02 PM
Abominatrix... you are from Riverside. That is crazy. I'm from Moreno Valley.

For the most part, any band that fits into a style and tries to play that style continually is going to sound similar. People say all Bad Religion songs sound the same, their answer is "it's Bad Religion, it's supposed to sound that way." Bands make a sound for themselves and then play that. I don't think that there's anything at all wrong with that. Of course their has to be expansion of ideas and development of musical and vocal skill over the years, but a band doesn't have to be a punk band one day a ska band the next and a hardcore band after that.

And any style of music sounds the same to an outside observer. When I first started listening to hardcore, I hated it and my complaint was that it all sounds the same. Now that I listen to it more I can tell the differences between everything, but that doesn't mean someone who doesn't listen to it can.

The only place where there is really constant change (and this isn't even true all the time) is in the indie rock scene. Bands just trying to do different stuff all the time.

Cursive owns.

Lindy
02-28-2004, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by TheAbominatrix
Blink 182. Their slower songs not so much, but everything else sounds exactly the same to me.

"Lets go
I know
Show
Always"

- Generic Blink 182 song

P.S. Muse, always screechy high voices and twangly silly guitars, much detestment. ESPECIALLY Absolution.

Emerald Aeris
02-29-2004, 03:35 AM
Just because a band's songs sound a lot alike doesn't make them automatically bad (see the Strokes, Marilyn Manson). Also, just because a band sucks doesn't mean all their songs sound the same. Blink 182. Maybe. I feel like defending them because they supported my grade 9 dance career. Let's face it, NO band's songs sound -exactly- a like.

More on Manson, yeah, sorry, I don't see how you can not see an extremely similar style in all of his songs (that I've heard, which is a lot, albeit not all). Even my friends who really like him admit a lot of his stuff is similar. It doesn't mean he sucks. If this was a "bands who suck" thread, I wouldn't mention him. But different in presentation? He shocks in gothic mode. Hard guitars. Disturbing lyrics/images. One or two different songs don't change that.

TheAbominatrix
02-29-2004, 03:46 AM
I find Blink 182's songs to be extremely similar. I dunno about their new stuff, but back in high school when they came on the radio during lunch, my friends and I would hold contests to see who could correctly guess the song, because the intros were so so much alike. Maybe not to a fan, but certainly to a casual listener.

And IGN64skanker, I'm sorry. Heh, Moreno Valley kinda sucks, I have to go there a lot. My dad's girlfriend lives there.

Cid
02-29-2004, 07:06 AM
It's easy, also, for a singer with a distinct voice to make all of a bands songs sound the same.

eestlinc
02-29-2004, 07:14 AM
I don't think the Beatles sound the same on every song but I still don't like them very much.

jrgen
02-29-2004, 11:10 AM
[SB]NO band's songs sound -exactly- a like.
Have you heard Cannibal Corpse?

Jack
02-29-2004, 04:17 PM
Smashing Pumpkins songs don't sound similiar ata l.. I thinkt thats cause Billy corgans voice is quite diverse.
*perpares for the hatemail*

A lot of old bands sound the same because back thewn, there wasn't too much diversity. Thats why the beatles sound the same. They were different cause they were GOOD songs, not because they were different.

IGN64skanker
02-29-2004, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by TheAbominatrix
And IGN64skanker, I'm sorry. Heh, Moreno Valley kinda sucks, I have to go there a lot. My dad's girlfriend lives there.

Haha. I know what you mean. Notice I didn't say I <I>live</I> there. Only that I'm from there. I go to school in Santa Cruz now. Everyone asks "why didn't you go to UCR?" Answer: Moreno Valley is boring as hell. Haha.

I'm totally feeling what Cid said about the singer making a band's songs sound the same. I'm not a fan of Smashing Pumpkins and every time I think of one of their songs, all I hear in my head is Billy Corgin being annoying. In my opinion, there's nothing wrong with having a style and rocking at it. There's a lot of bands that you can hear a random guitar riff or bass line from a song and know automatically who it is. I don't see anything wrong with that.

TheAbominatrix
03-01-2004, 12:41 AM
I think The Beatles songs have a lot of variance because every member has his own songs that he sings completly. It isnt always Paul, or John, but George and Ringo too. Very nice.

Yeah I live like 10 minutes from UCR. Blargh.

Tokki Wartooth
03-01-2004, 12:50 AM
wtf, every Beatles song sound EXACTLY the same to me. But then again I've only heard 4.

TheAbominatrix
03-01-2004, 01:00 AM
Probably because you've only heard four. Their earlier stuff sounds a lot alike, yes. But you cant say that A Hard Day's Night sounds just like Within You, Without You.

Tokki Wartooth
03-01-2004, 01:19 AM
Strawberry Fields Forever sounds like Octopus Garden, tho. In fact, I can't even tell which is which.

TheAbominatrix
03-01-2004, 01:36 AM
eh... not really. I cant say much, cause I've been raised on The Beatles and all, but Stawberry Fields is a lot more mellow, slower than Octopus' Garden, which is super bouncy. Its your opinion though, so I cant really argue with you.

Moose Knight
03-01-2004, 02:10 AM
I think all punk sounds the same. I think people might as well refer to the Subhumans and all those other bands as the same, because they kind of are.

TheAbominatrix
03-01-2004, 02:26 AM
To the casual listener, yeah. I admit I couldnt tell a lot of bands apart, but it depends on how much you listen, as does most stuff. And it also depends on the bands style. Subhumans sound nothing like The Adicts. The Misfits sound nothing like Naked Aggression. Not to mention the myriad of other less-well-known bands.

eestlinc
03-01-2004, 02:33 AM
all Mozart doesn't sound the same but I can pick out any of his stuff as being by him pretty easily. having a recognizeable style is a good thing.

Garland
03-01-2004, 07:05 AM
Any genre I don't listen to tends to sound the same, but I've found it's even moreso with the heavier metals (Pantera and such) or the heaviest rap (can't think of an artist). Once the music loses an easily discernable melody, it's really hard to distinguish them. When I hear whatever sort of metal Pantera and co happens to call itself, all I hear is deep growling and highly distorted guitars. The nuances (if there are any) are lost to me. Same with rap. Most of the time all I can distinguish is the bass line, which all sound the same (and I know, because I hear one every night when people cruise down my street with their car stereos blasting at 2 am). When music ceases to have a "singer" and instead has a "vocalist", it's lost me. Punk music is actually a bit easier to distinguish. I can tell if I'm listening to Greenday or some other band. I couldn't tell you what the other band was, but I can make some distinction anyway.

Red Wizard
03-01-2004, 07:28 AM
Children of Bodom, new Metallica, Symphony X (as cool as they may be, their songs are still all self-similar), and any Rap, R&B, or Pop "artist".

jrgen
03-01-2004, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by Red Wizard
Children of Bodom, new Metallica, Symphony X
Maybe in a n00bs ear.