PDA

View Full Version : FF 4 bug? [SPOILERS]

Marcus
02-27-2004, 07:51 PM
At the moment, I'm playing Final Fantasy 4, (hardtype) on the Snes Emulator, but I seem to have bumped into a nasty bug. (spoilers ahead, probably)

In the Underworld, after Yang sacrifices himself to stop the Big Cannon thingamabob in the Tower Babil, I take the party downstairs again... According to several walktroughs I've read, I'll have to bump into Golbeze on my way down, and Cid will return my party. But it never happens. It's really weird. I just exit the tower normally, and nothing happens. No Golbeze, no nothing.

I have defeated that Doctor guy and his ugly son, I've defeated those three imps in the cannon room, Yang left my party, but it all ends there. For some reason, a rather crucial event isn't happening... I'm getting quite moody because of this. Is this a bug? Anyone else had it? It's annoying the hell out of me. I want to continue... :(

My rom isn't hacked or anything, never cheated, (well, I used the turbo button alot to level up...heh) and as far as I know, I haven't done anything out of the ordinary... I AM at a ridiculous high level though, my party is level 45, which isn't really necessary at this point.. But that couldn't be it, right?

:(

Kawaii Ryűkishi
02-27-2004, 08:00 PM
I've heard about it before. No idea about a fix, though.

Marcus
02-27-2004, 08:08 PM
Well, that sucks real bad then. 18 hours of hard work and labour down the drain. Real nice.

*throws random objects across room*:grr:

DocFrance
02-27-2004, 10:24 PM
You don't bump in to Golbeze at all. You have to go down to the very bottom floor and cross the bridge as if you were exiting. The plot should then continue moving.

Flying Mullet
02-27-2004, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by DocFrance
You don't bump in to Golbeze at all. You have to go down to the very bottom floor and cross the bridge as if you were exiting. The plot should then continue moving.

Originally posted by Marcus
I just exit the tower normally, and nothing happens. No Golbeze, no nothing.

I have heard about this before too when I was playing the "original" version on the ROM, but I never ran into this problem when playing it. Anyway, the work-around that I read said to get both the english and japanese versions of the hardtype ROM(you play the english version, the japanese version is for this work-around). Then make a save state in the english one back inside the tower, then rename the save state so it uses the japanese version of the rom rather than the english one. Then load the japanese ROM, load the save state, exit the tower, then once you're outside and such, do the opposite, save your state on the japanese ROM and reverse the process. If this doesn't work, see if you have a save before you exited the tower, like before you fought the doctor guy, as you might have tripped the switch that causes Golbez to show up and then it doesn't matter how many times you enter and exit the tower. The workaround that I read said that some of the english hardtype ROMs floating around have a glitch in them that causes what you are seeing, and that by playing the game on the japanese version passes that glitch, then you can continue playing on the english version.

Hope this helps.

Marcus
02-28-2004, 05:28 PM
Nope, didn't work. :( Bummer...

If anyone here has a save game lying around of that part of the game, I'll trade it for my firstborn.