PDA

View Full Version : Living in New Zealand

DeBlayde
02-27-2004, 10:49 PM
It's a pretty place. I've long said, if ya don't like where you are and you're all grown up, there's nobody forcin you to stay here.

Actually, I love the US. Politics are incredibly stupid, but I love the country. Everything about the US, sans politics, especially the food. and the people. and Alaska. the rest of the US could get trashed, and the people wouldn't feel bad, so long as Alaska is still ok. And the people in alaska are working. and no idiot tree huggers are keeping us from feeding our families. tree huggers belong in New Jersey where they're actually needed.

but I digress. actual reason i'm moving is because my wife's family is there, and it's where she's comfortable, so it's where I go. I'll get a job for a while, then open a hiking lodge. I'm still debating as to whether or not I would like to have it follow a middle ages theme, but then it'd be too much like Lord of the Rings, and people would think it'd be stupid. except americans who would come and spend lotsa money and make me rich until the Lord of the Rings things dies down, at which point I can remodel or something.

so here's what I would like to know:

What kinda job can a guy get that'll help save money for the building and operating of a nice comfortable beautiful hiking lodge with several head of horses for people to ride to the nearby coast?

Loony BoB
02-27-2004, 10:57 PM
I dunno, all the jobs I had in NZ were good enough. There's something about the NZ lifestyle that I miss so, so much. :( I love my home country, and I look forward to getting my back there. *cuddles New Zealand*

And I dunno, casual medieval stuff doesn't instantly make me think of LotR. So long as the place is comfortable and clean, it's all good. That's all anyone needs.

Meat Puppet
02-28-2004, 01:11 AM
I wouldn't move now, God seems to have targetted us to get bombarded by storms.

Big D
02-28-2004, 03:59 AM
I wouldn't move now, God seems to have targetted us to get bombarded by storms.Only 'cause you're up north... I'm in Christchurch, and it's warm and sunny and just a bit breezy. Those storms were really something, I can't believe how bad it was up there.

What kinda job can a guy get that'll help save money for the building and operating of a nice comfortable beautiful hiking lodge with several head of horses for people to ride to the nearby coast?...Anyway, you can get practically any job here that you can get in the US, except that there's a much smaller market for each. Our population's only four million, after all. IT's always a reliable source of income, it depends on what you like and what you're good at, really. Setting up a hiking lodge would be an expensive business, but even more pricey if you wanted to include horses. Vets, ferriers, trainers, riders, government approvals... it'd cost a whole lot more. You'd be better off establishing a hiking lodge, and just catering to foot-travellers in my opinion.

Nice idea though:)

Del Murder
02-28-2004, 04:16 AM
Originally posted by Big D
Our population's only four million, after all.
Wow, that's not a lot, especially since it seems about half of them post here.

eestlinc
02-28-2004, 04:24 AM
4 million and 1 then!

I'm sure it would be cool but all the exciting stuff in the US like the NBA All-Star game would happen in the morning.

Kirobaito
02-28-2004, 04:27 AM
The NBA All-Star game is exciting? It's sucked the past few years. I mean, who wants to watch Shaq? I would much rather see Dr. J, Bird, and Magic play against each other. They should all make a comeback.

o_O
02-28-2004, 05:42 AM
I wouldn't move away from New Zealand for anything. I've only had a few jobs here, but they've been pretty good for a student.

Daniel, we're gonna get you back here some day.:o Let's make a paypal account or something. xD

The storms are terrible. My neighbour just lost a tree, which made its way into their neighbours' yard. xD

Yamaneko
02-28-2004, 05:48 AM
Who wants green and peace when you have smog and road rage?

Spuuky
02-28-2004, 08:11 AM
Yeah, I want to move to New Zealand, too. But first I need some job skills, or something.

Chemical
02-28-2004, 09:39 AM
A friend of mine just went to New Zealand for a month. I guess their back packing around before going to Australia.

Sounds like fun, hopefully one day I can do the same.

Mo-Nercy
02-28-2004, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by o_O
The storms are terrible.
Australia need rain....so hot...dehydrating...dehydrating....*dies*

Calliope
02-29-2004, 02:44 AM
I like it here. I need the trees, and sunshine, and little hoppy birds.

I'd trade it in though.

eestlinc
02-29-2004, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by King Bahamut
The NBA All-Star game is exciting?
yea I was not being serious

DeBlayde
03-01-2004, 05:06 PM
see, what I like about Kiwi's is that they're really quite a bit less suspicious of people they meet (in general, according to those I met). here, people are always watchin for the backstab or the rip-off. there, you can hang out with somebody because you're their father's brother's cousin's best-firend's former room mate, and they'll teach ya stuff if you ask nicely, like how to surf.

but any case, my aunt who lives in the mid-west is a world class trainer, and a breeder I think, of Arabian horses. I don't know who she has do her shoeing, but I'm sure if I went there and hung out with her for a while, I'd learn. I'd be able to learn how to properly groom, stable, break and probably a couple treatments of common ailments if I went down there to work in her barn for a while. sure I'd have to shovel poo for a year or so, but that'd be a fair trade-off. just tackin a shoe on a hoof isn't too hard either, it's the weighting the shoe differently that makes it complicated, but I'm sure I'd learn.

Meat Puppet
03-01-2004, 06:42 PM
A horse broke my leg once.

Calliope
03-01-2004, 08:42 PM
Return of the King = Eleven Academy Awards.

See? NZ really is the best small country with trees.