PDA

View Full Version : Return of the Kings sweeps the Oscars.

RSL
03-01-2004, 05:10 AM
11 nominations, 11 wins. They tied the record with Titanic and Ben Hur, with less nominations than those two films.

I was disappointed that Keisha Castle-Hughes didn't win best actress, that would have been cool.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Dingo Jellybean
03-01-2004, 05:33 AM
I'm just glad Finding Nemo won, that was the best animated CG film ever.

Kawaii Ry๛kishi
03-01-2004, 05:38 AM
Did Russell Crowe win anything/beat anyone up?

animee_
03-01-2004, 05:53 AM
I was glad to see Lord of the Rings do so well. Good on Peter Jackson I say, you made New Zealand so proud *wipes tear from eye*

Cid
03-01-2004, 06:27 AM
Bill Murray was robbed.

White Raven
03-01-2004, 06:32 AM
Can anyone post a nice list of the winners?

*too lazy to simply search the net*

DocFrance
03-01-2004, 07:03 AM
The following is the list of winners for the 76th Annual Academy Awards, presented by Hollywood's Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences on Feb. 29, 2004.

BEST PICTURE
• The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King

DIRECTOR
• Peter Jackson, The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King

ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE
• Sean Penn, Mystic River

ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE
• Charlize Theron, Monster

ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
• Tim Robbins, Mystic River

ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
• Ren้e Zellweger, Cold Mountain

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
• Sofia Coppola, Lost in Translation

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
• Fran Walsh, Philippa Boyens and Peter Jackson, The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King

FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM
• The Barbarian Invasions (Canada)

ANIMATED FEATURE
• Finding Nemo

ORIGINAL SCORE
• Howard Shore, The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King

ORIGINAL SONG
• "Into the West" from The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, Fran Walsh, Howard Shore and Annie Lennox

ART DIRECTION
• Grant Major, Dan Hennah and Alan Lee, The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King

CINEMATOGRAPHY
• Russell Boyd, Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World

COSTUME DESIGN
• Ngila Dickson and Richard Taylor, The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King

MAKEUP
• Richard Taylor and Peter King, The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King

DOCUMENTARY FEATURE
• The Fog of War

SOUND
• Christopher Boyes, Michael Semanick, Michael Hedges and Hammond Peck, The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King

SOUND EDITING
• Richard King, Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World

VISUAL EFFECTS
• Jim Rygiel, Joe Letteri, Randall William Cook and Alex Funke, The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King

FILM EDITING
• Jamie Selkirk, The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King

SHORT FILM – ANIMATED
• Harvie Krumpet

SHORT FILM – LIVE ACTION
• Two Soldiers

DOCUMENTARY SHORT SUBJECT
• Chernobyl Heart

Miriel
03-01-2004, 08:40 AM
Predicted 22/24 of the awards correctly which made me quite a bit richer at the end of this evening :D

I'm so happy for Peter Jackson right now, he and the entire cast/crew of LotR deserves every award and accolade that they're given.

This was probably the most predictable oscar show I've ever seen and I was hoping for some surprises, especially in the best actress categories. But still, I was thrilled for most of the winners and it was great to see RotK sweep the awards. It was also nice to see Sean Penn finally recognized by the Academy after SO many brilliant performances, although I do admit that it would've been great if either Murray or Depp had won.

RSL
03-01-2004, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Kawaii Ry๛kishi
Did Russell Crowe win anything/beat anyone up?

Thankfully, I don't think he was even there.

I didn't want to see a LotR sweep, just because it's pretty boring to watch.

Breine
03-01-2004, 12:57 PM
It was great that Lord of the rings got so many oscars, but it was sad that Lost In Translation only won for the best screenplay...

Del Murder
03-01-2004, 05:55 PM
What was that instrument Sting was playing?

Strider
03-01-2004, 06:01 PM
The people that performed the song from "A Mighty Wind" looked like Eugene Levy and the mom from "Home Alone" to everyone here. That was unsettling.

The Captain
03-01-2004, 06:48 PM
That's because they were.

As for the instrument Sting was playing....
It looked like some form of sitar mixed with a musicbox, as all he seemed to be doing was turning a knob.

I can't say how happy I was about last nights Oscars. LOTR deserved everything it received and more. All I wish is that there was a Best Ensemble Acting category for films such as ROTK where singling out one performance is almost impossible.

Penn deserved to win, but really, he deserved it every time he's in a film. Same with Depp, who will win one of these days, I can feel it. Alas for Bill Murray, he's probably the most un-Hollywood star around (Which is wonderful) and for that, he seemed destined to be a Bridesmaid until he gets a lifetime achievement award. He's deserved at least three Oscars himself, for Rushmore, Groundhog's Days and now Lost in Translation.

If LOTR has taught us anything, it's that we can not only dream big, but succeed on those dreams.

Take care all.

Strider
03-01-2004, 07:15 PM
What's everyone's thoughts on Jack Black and Will Ferrell's performance of the exit song?

Zell's Fists of Fury
03-01-2004, 08:08 PM
Lord of the Overrated Movies is more like it. *grumble*

Calliope
03-01-2004, 08:59 PM
Last Samurai and Whale Rider didn't get anything ;_;

Reason
03-01-2004, 09:27 PM
I thought Tom Cruise was really trying to get an Oscar for the Last Samurai, but was he even nominated??

I didn't bother watching the show, nope.

Cid
03-01-2004, 09:44 PM
I was really disappointed with Last Samurai, personally.

And the Will Farrell/Jack Black thing was hilarious.

MecaKane
03-01-2004, 09:59 PM
Hey, second sequel to win best picture.
I'd say more anime should've been in the animated feature, but I can't really think of any good movies that were released last year. @_@
Oh well, Innocence for next year! Or something. >_>

Shlup
03-01-2004, 10:36 PM
It really won all 11, eh? I never watch the thing, but its good to hear that movie did so well. It made me hot.

RSL
03-01-2004, 11:42 PM
Cruise wasn't nominated this year.

Miriel
03-02-2004, 12:35 AM
Sean Penn has his Oscar but Bill Murray has his Golden Globe and Johnny Depp has his SAG award so I'm sure it didn't hurt too much to lose given that all three of them have had great success this Awards season.

The "You're Boring" duet by Will Farrell and Jack Black was quite possibly one of the funniest moments of the night.

Big D
03-02-2004, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by Calliope
Last Samurai and Whale Rider didn't get anything ;_; Nominations are good. Ngila Dickson got the costume design nominations for both RotK and Last Samurai, so they'd have had a tough job trying to acknowledge both...

Good results all round, I think.
Nice to see Ren้e Zellweger get the Supporting Actress award.

BatChao
03-02-2004, 10:39 AM
Return of the King was good, but not THAT good. I think Last Samurai should have won for costume. And there were others that I didn't think RoTK deserved. But oh well...

Bernhard
03-02-2004, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Spaceman Spiff
Lord of the Overrated Movies is more like it. *grumble*

Miriel
03-02-2004, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by BatChao
Return of the King was good, but not THAT good. I think Last Samurai should have won for costume. And there were others that I didn't think RoTK deserved. But oh well...

RotK didn't deserve all those wins on its own, but the Academy chose not to award the first two movies for some of the awards that they actually deserved, waiting instead for the final movie was released and so in a sense they put themselves in a position where they had to make up for the first two. It wasn't just RotK that was awarded, it was the entire Trilogy. And in my opinion the detail in costume and armor in the Lord of the Rings is beyond anything I've ever seen in a movie, and if people were dedicated enough to have their fingerprints rubbed off from linking chain mail together for weeks and weeks, then the least they deserve is a little golden statue.

Imperia
03-02-2004, 05:14 PM
This is awesome. Return of the King really deserved the awards. So they now tie with Titanic and Ben-Hur... Now we have three champions (yet I personally think Titanic doesn't deserve to be a champion:rolleyes2 ). I'm happy for this.:cool:

Mr. Graves
03-02-2004, 09:56 PM
I'm glad to see that RoTK got all the awards and all. xD Sure, it was the worst of the three, but I still feel it deserved more awards than any other film out there.

RSL
03-02-2004, 11:42 PM
I wonder why I pluralized King in the title of this thread...