PDA

View Full Version : slooooow internet

Strider
03-01-2004, 06:14 PM
Okay, for some reason, my already slow dialup connection has been reeeeeeally slow lately.

I have no idea why. What happens is that the page'll load everything just fine, right, but then it'll freeze for about a minute before I can actually click any links or scroll down or anything. Any thoughts on how to fix it? It's only been happening since Friday.

Oh, and no plugs for Firefox/bird/monkey/whatever. It ain't happenin'.

Kirobaito
03-01-2004, 08:56 PM
I have dial-up. Weeza pimps, right? :)

Anyway, it always tells me the speed of my connection as soon as I log on. If it's not 49.63 KB or 50.6 KB, I disconnect and try again.

Flying Mullet
03-01-2004, 09:05 PM
Try <a href="http://www.opera.com/">this</a>.

Strider
03-01-2004, 11:01 PM
Well, it consistently says 45.2k, as well it should because that's what it's supposed to be. No problem there. :|

crono_logical
03-02-2004, 01:47 AM
Depends what page you're looking at. Maybe there's a banner/iframe etc. pointing to a dead server inside some complex table layout so the browser is waiting for the connection to time out before it can render the table. If it happens everywhere though, then it might be a problem :p

Strider
03-02-2004, 02:17 AM
Yeah, it happens everywhere. MSN, Yahoo fantasy sports, here, tGA, LJ. . . everywhere. And I can't figure it out. :(

Peegee
03-04-2004, 02:49 AM
Try this :D

Flying Mullet
03-04-2004, 03:12 AM
Could it be some "accelerator" software that your ISP uses? I know that some of those "accelerator" programs cache everything that they can when you first open a page so that they load faster the next time through. So maybe your pages are taking a whlie to load the first time through as everything gets cached?