PDA

View Full Version : Music from your youth

Strider
03-02-2004, 04:05 AM
We all know how everyone here seems to have a different taste in music from everyone else, but what did you listen to growing up?

By that, I mean. . . well, how far back do you remember? I guess you can really use your own discretion, but just as a kid, what did you listen to?

Personally, I've always grown up lovin' good old rock and roll. I remember ridin' around with my mom and Aerosmith would be playin'. Little League, I'd grab a hot dog before the game and listen to "Rooster" from Alice in Chains. Goin' to school in the morning, "Enter Sandman" and "Wherever I May Roam".

So what about you?

PeTeRL90
03-02-2004, 04:13 AM
I used to listen to SemiSonic, Fastball, and a few other bands that slipped my mind just now.

Kirobaito
03-02-2004, 04:24 AM
I feel weird, because I'm still in my youth at 15.

I've listened to Country Music for my entire life. Good 'ol Texas Country.

black orb
03-02-2004, 04:39 AM
>>> My childhood wasnt very pleasant in music terms. My mom used and still listen Luis Miguel and other crap, everyday and everytime.. >_>

DocFrance
03-02-2004, 06:38 AM
I was stuck in my dad's generation, music-wise. Led Zeppelin, the Eagles, Jimmy Buffett, Van Morrison, the Doors, you name it. I was a child of the eighties, but I was raised like on of the seventies.

eestlinc
03-02-2004, 06:55 AM
i remember liking Bon Jovi and Huey Lewis. 80's music sucks majorly, though.

Sephex
03-02-2004, 07:09 AM
Pink Floyd and The Cure sticks out the most for me. Still listen to them.

Mo-Nercy
03-02-2004, 07:28 AM
I'm still pretty young though...

...but my first memory of music was Ann Lee -- Two Times.

Calliope
03-02-2004, 07:33 AM
The Beatles, The Beach Boys, Roy Orbision, Bob Marley, Crowded House, Dave Dobbyn, TLC, Brownstone, SWV, it's Hammer Time, Criss Cross will make you jump, jump!

Breine
03-02-2004, 12:56 PM
I'm still kinda young, being 15 and all, but I certainly remember that I growed up listening to Michael Jackson. I listened to his music like all the time, even though I didn't understand a word of English back then.
He was also my very first concert experience. I saw his HIStory tour when he was in Denmark. That was just great! :)

Bernhard
03-02-2004, 03:51 PM
Raised on the 60's and early/mid 70's because of my mom. Bluegrass, american ol' timey, irish folk, blues and jazz because of my old man.

jrgen
03-02-2004, 06:05 PM
It went like this:
Pop --> Swedish --> soft rock like The Offspring --> Blood Hound Gang --> Nu-metal like Limp Bizkit and Linkin Park --> Rammstein --> German Metal/Industrial Metal/Medieval Metal.

Chemical
03-02-2004, 07:16 PM
I'm going to skip by my embaressing music moments of my younger teens and go to my somewhat respectable children's favourites.

Raffi
Sharon, Louis and Bram
Garth Brooks
Disney Classics
Elton John
TLC
Ghostbuster Theme
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle Theme
Beatles

haha yea, I almost forgot about hte Beach Boys. Them too. :) Damn though it would have been cool to be a 70
s child. Oh OH YEah again!

Michael Jackson
MC Hammer
Alvin & the Chipmunks [They had an album that was hot stuff]

There was probably more, but now I like mostly 70's and 80's stuff. For those of you in the GTA you'll know that Q107 rocks the hizzouse.

Flying Mullet
03-02-2004, 07:22 PM
When I was a kid, we didn't have music! We beat on old coffee cans and we liked it! And sometimes we had to beat our coffee cans uphill to school both ways in three feet of snow, and we like that too!

Marcus
03-02-2004, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by Al Bhed³
I'm still pretty young though...

...but my first memory of music was Ann Lee -- Two Times.

Ouch. That must suck big time.

Myself, I grew up with 70's 80's rock, music my brother and father used to play a lot...

And my current taste in music is about the same.. I listen to a lot of Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Queen, and when I'm feeling really nasty, I listen to the worst glamrock ever. For kicks.

Just... never... NEVER come to my house with poppy stuff that dominate the screen and radio these days... If I have to listen to Jennifer Lopez one more time I will kill myself... Man, music nowadays sucks.

Reason
03-02-2004, 08:19 PM
My first tape was Michael Jackson - Dangerous. I can still remember the picture on it, and I played it till it broke. Then I cried.

Marcus
03-02-2004, 08:33 PM
Aah, yes... Micheal Jackson. Now THERE is an idol for you. He is the real Mccoy when it comes to artists/entertainers....

Too bad about the way it turned out for him... When I was younger, he was my hero.

DocFrance
03-02-2004, 09:31 PM
I was thirteen when I finally realized that Michael Jackson was a man.

Mr. Graves
03-02-2004, 10:09 PM
Anthrax
The Monkeys
Some country music my father liked
Early-era Metallica
And, that's it.

Todie
03-02-2004, 10:11 PM
I grew up listenting to classical music, jazz and things of strange humor (aka, Dr.Demento, Cheech and Chong, Monty Python, Tom Lehrer). So I listen to pretty much anything. Literally!

I think the worst thing I ever liked was when I was 14 or so, I was one of those thousands of screaming girls who loved the BackStreet Boys. Now I gag when I think about that.

But here's some of what I grew up listening to:
Classical: Mahler, J.S.Bach, Debussy, Stravinsky, gregorian chant

Jazz: anything played my Charlie Parker *melts* Ellington, Micheal Brecker, Miles Davis......dixieland music

Oldies: Elton John, Beatles, Sly and The Family Stone, Grateful Dead, Peter Gabriel, The Who

Dave Matthews Band
Phill Collins
Indigo Girls
Fuel
Garbage
Radio Head
Ace of Base
Red Hot Chili Peppers
I heard a lot of this by listening to the radio when I was little.

Erdrick Holmes
03-02-2004, 10:35 PM
AC/DC
Metallica
Smashing Pumpkins

fire_of_avalon
03-03-2004, 03:33 AM
I don't know, name something and it's probably part of my "youth". I listen to everything.

Seifer
03-05-2004, 11:33 PM
Aerosmith, Guns N' Roses, and Led Zeppelin stick out in my mind the most. Especially with extra emphasis on Guns N' Roses, since they're one of my favorite bands to this day.

Xander
03-06-2004, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by Marcus
Aah, yes... Micheal Jackson. Now THERE is an idol for you. He is the real Mccoy when it comes to artists/entertainers....

Originally posted by Reason
My first tape was Michael Jackson - Dangerous. I can still remember the picture on it, and I played it till it broke. Then I cried.

Amen. :rock:

When I was very young I was subjected to my two elder brother's music, which consisted mainly of Michael Jackson and Queen. That's probably why I still love them today. Nice nostalgia ^^

The first song I actually ever bought was Peter Andre's Mysterious Girl, in something like 1994, and it's just been re-released here and is at No.1 which is quite weird. I still like the song too. ^^

escobert
03-06-2004, 12:46 AM
Pink Floyd, AFI, Nirvana, Green Day, Blink 182, AC/DC... That's about all I can think of right now.

Jewels
03-06-2004, 01:57 AM
Hasn't been that long ago from my youth....but I liked Alanis Morisette, No Doubt and Sheryl Crowe. Hmm....no boys....

jrgen
03-06-2004, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Xander
:rock: Michael Jackson
What's happening with this world?

Bernhard
03-06-2004, 02:59 PM
I don't know. People have different taste in music? Oh, the humanity!

jrgen
03-06-2004, 03:04 PM
It was not the liking of Michael Jackson I was refering to.
It was the headbanging smily.

Bernhard
03-06-2004, 04:49 PM
Well, I'll admit that Michael Jackson headbanging might be the beginning of the end.