PDA

View Full Version : Is ICO really any good

TogiB
03-02-2004, 04:39 PM
Okay, The Playstation magazine raves about this game, but i have read many bad reveiws. i was wondering if it would be worth getting (considering i ever FIND THE DANG THING!!)

LH
03-02-2004, 06:10 PM
Ico is simply amazing. Don't listen to anyone else but me. :D Just go and buy it. I saw it used at EB for $15.

Bernhard
03-02-2004, 07:32 PM
Ehm, that depends on what kind of games you like. Any puzzle/adventure fan should get it a.s.a.p. It really is a brilliant game for anyone looking to work out the noggin.

edczxcvbnm
03-04-2004, 05:59 PM
ICO is a great game to see. The visual style is magnificent. The gameplay is also damn near perfect. The game isn't very long though 5-8 hours I would say.

The only downside is you will probably only play it once because it is a puzzle/adventure game.

Nait
03-04-2004, 06:44 PM
I tried the demo and THE DEMO IS SO DAMN DIFFICULT IT FLIPS MY BRAINS AND SELLS WITH FRIES, but I hear it's a great game, yah.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
03-04-2004, 08:26 PM
I don't think I've ever taken longer than about four hours to beat it, even on my first try, but it really doesn't matter because it's an experience that's as close to 100% gameplay as you're likely to find these days. You never have to pause the game to bring up a menu to change equipment or boost stats or heal, and besides the opening and ending, no cut-scene lasts for more than a minute--and they're few, anyway.

You really can't play this game looking at it out of the corner of one eye. Puzzles are complex and thought-provoking without being too contrived; every obstacle set in your path and every tool you find to surmount them seem like natural parts of the castle environment. The most important part of playing the game, however, is looking after the girl, Yorda. As frail as she is, Yorda adds another layer of complexity to the puzzles: instead of "get from Point A to Point B," the objective becomes "get from Point A to Point B and then find an alternate way back to the Point A so that Yorda can get to Point B, too, but don't leave her alone at Point A too long, or the shadow minions will emerge and attack her." Protecting Yorda also makes combat constantly frantic and involving, since her tough-to-kill assailants tend to swarm all around her like a pack of wolves, making it necessary to be alert at all times.

I love ICO so much.

Mr. Graves
03-05-2004, 02:58 AM
Yes, ICO is definitely worth it. It's one of the greatest PS2 games I've ever played. Buy it as soon as you're able; it's cheap these days. xD

Cinna
03-24-2004, 02:14 AM
I must reiterate everybody's words, just because the i like the game so much.

It's an experience.

Simply put, you feel immersed. Not FF, soap opera immersed, i don't know how to explain, but very engrossed. Was anyone else on the verge of pissing their pants whenever the shadows things attack? they scare the hell out of me. The ending was really a treat...especially the end-end one.

Heath
03-24-2004, 08:09 AM
I've good things about it, but I've never seen it or played it first hand. I'd certainly be interested in playing it.

Germ Hamee
03-24-2004, 08:45 AM
I completely hated Ico. x_x I only played it for about a half hour and never touched it again. But I really, really hate puzzles, and Ico is the god of puzzle games as far as I'm concerned.

It looked quite nice, though. ^_^