PDA

View Full Version : Too many 5 1/4" connectors?

Peegee
03-03-2004, 04:29 PM
I have 2 CDroms, 2 HDD, and *potentially* 6 spaces for fans (well 5, but until I get a new PSU it's 6). If I wanted it my way, the fans would be all powered by those 5 1/4" power connectors that come out of the PSU.

I'm currently out of spare 5 1/4" connectors. I have 2 CDroms, 2 HDD, and 4 fans running, which excludes the processor/vid card fans (so 3 fans and the PSU fan). I have no spare 5 1/4" power connector for some reason, so I'm thinking of buying a Y-splitter -- it takes a 5 1/4" connector and splits it into two connectors.

I have a 400 W PSU -- so two questions: 1) is it okay to be doing this to one extra fan, and 2) when and if I buy the two extra fans (making it 3 extra fans running instead of one), should I invest in the 500 W PSU?

Flying Mullet
03-03-2004, 04:33 PM
I can't answer your questions, but I have another couple to add/think about. Can you add the Y splitter and still get enough power to the other devices? Is all of the hardware able to support this?

It's just that this sounds like when you put a six way adapter on a plug in your house, then another three adapter plug on one of those six, and you end up blowing a fuse because you're using too much power. Just don't want your computer to get fried.

crono_logical
03-03-2004, 04:35 PM
I don't really know why you want so many fans in there (which also explains why you've run out of power connectors, really) - if you have to, just use one deskfan instead :D Works great for me, my video card's survived over a year now with it's broken fan and only the deskfan cooling it instead, and it's still going :p

Peegee
03-03-2004, 07:05 PM
It looks cool xD /reason