PDA

View Full Version : Which game has the best music (FF not included)

Breine
03-03-2004, 07:49 PM
So, which game has the best music? Just for kicks Final Fantasy-games are not included...

Sefie1999AD
03-03-2004, 08:10 PM
I think KH has the best non-FF soundtrack. I really like Yoko Shimomura's work. Her music is melodic and emotional, and it suits the game's atmosphere well, which is why I absolutely prefer her to Yasunori Mitsuda. Battle songs are aggressive and varied, sad songs are sad, darker songs are dark, and town music makes you want to hang around and have fun. Great stuff!

EDIT: Chrono Trigger comes as my 2nd favorite non-FF soundtrack.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
03-03-2004, 08:29 PM
Chrono Trigger.

FEOK
03-03-2004, 08:57 PM
I liked alot of SD3 music, so I'd have to say it has the best.

Vermachtnis
03-05-2004, 01:05 AM
Dark Cloud 2! The opening credits are great and Stonehenge was just calm and relaxing. The Cpt. 7 dungeon music gave you the intension that's suppose to be with "Final Dungeons"

Metroid Prime comes in a close 2nd followed my Chrono Trigger.

Silent Warrior
03-05-2004, 11:18 AM
Hm... I read an article in a computer-magazine once on this topic, and they ranked Icewind Dale (and Planescape Torment ;) ) pretty high. I don't remember what the top title was, but I think it was OLD. And that's from someone who doesn't mind playing a game from the early '90s.

I have to say Starlancer has overall good music. Maybe one track here and there that stands out, hardly any that brings the house down. Freelancer was, in a different sense, bloody awesome music-wise, but I didn't care all that much for it. Dark Reign: Rise of the Shadowhand had some pretty neat tracks as well, I have to add. I have to p1mp Grim Fandango some, of course. :D Independence War 2, now there's an interesting title from a music-perspective.

*Ponders a verdict*
Aye, there can be no doubt: Wing Commander 3. :p

crono_logical
03-05-2004, 11:30 AM
Motoi Sakuraba is my favourite video game composer - the progressive rock style of music he uses works both in game and often out of the games he's composed for too. He's done the music for games in the Tales Of game series, Star Ocean series, and Valkyrie Profile. I don't think I could pick a favourite between Tales of Phantasia, Valkyrie Profile or Star Ocean 2/3, which I think are the best few albums he's done, although other games from those series also have great tracks included too :p Watching him play some of those tracks on piano from VP and SO3 that were recorded live with a bass guitarist and drummer were amazing too :p

dman
03-05-2004, 11:34 AM
Besides Uematsu, I like Mitsuda and Shimomura. So my favourite non-FF soundtacks would probably be CT, CC and KH.

Xander
03-05-2004, 01:34 PM
Other than FFs, Monkey Island game music is my favourite, I love the whole Carribean, piratey feel of it. The intro to MI-II is one of my favourite MI songs, along with the general theme song. <3 MI music.

PeTeRL90
03-05-2004, 05:05 PM
Breath Of Fire II
Skies Of Arcadia Legends
Lufia II
Chrono Trigger

Silent Warrior
03-08-2004, 08:47 AM
*Hits Guu* You forgot to mention that Sakuraba made the music for Shining Force 3! Heretic!

crono_logical
03-08-2004, 08:54 AM
I haven't heard of that game, let alone heard of any tracks from that game :p

Silent Warrior
03-14-2004, 09:34 AM
AAIIIEIEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

( www.shiningforcecentral.com )

Seryn Kai
05-24-2004, 11:00 AM
My favourite non FF soundtrack, well, my favourite soundtrack is from Breath of Fire III, my second favourite being from BoF4.

Doomgaze
05-28-2004, 08:57 PM
Easily Xenogears.

Felldoh
05-28-2004, 10:04 PM
I vote for Akira Yamaoka's Silent Hill I, II, and III soundtracks.

Lord Chainsaw
05-29-2004, 02:53 AM
These are the games I feel have the best music (Final Fantasy included)

Castlevania Series - By far the Castlevania series has the best music of any video game series. It has so many great tracks such as Richter's Theme (Bloodlines I believe it is called), Bloody Tears, The Prince of Darkness, and of course, my two favorites: The Theme of Simon Belmont and VAMPIRE KILLER! The music hasn't waned over time as proven by the wonderful soundtrack in Lament of Innocence. Castlevania always delivers when it comes to top quality music. After all, a series that relies on musical subtitles should damn well have incredible music, shouldn't it?

Breath of Fire 2- The Decadence of God is easily one of my favorite songs ever put in a game. Other great tracks from this game are More than Words (I THINK this is Nina's theme), A Crisis (The Barubary Battle Theme), and the final battle with Deathevn. This game also has 2 different battle tracks that play at different points in the game and 3 different world map tunes so it never gets stale.

SaGa Frontier- Whoever did the music to this game sure got it right. What is really awesome about SaGa Frontier is the final boss themes. All 7 of them are incredible. My favorite without a doubt is the Boss X battle theme. I also like Asellus' final boss as well as Emilia's. The regular battle music is great too.

Gauntlet: Dark Legacy- People might not notice the wonderful music in this game due to the incredibly loud and annoying sound effects. If you turn down the sound effects in the options menu, you will see how wonderful the music to this game really is. Everything feels so medieval. The best tracks in this game are the one that plays Sumner's Tower, the Valkyrie's Castle, and the Desecrated Temple. The Battle with Skorne in the Desecrated Temple is my favorite music track of all time. Unfortunately, due to having almost no popularity, none of these great tracks are listed in the vgmusic.com archives.

Wizards & Warriors- Quite possibly the coolest title song of all time. It's also got this awesome track that plays when you're near death.

Phantasy Star Online: Episode 1 & 2- Awesome tracks. Not only is the music fantastic, but the song names are damn cool. My favorite track in the game is the 1st form of the final boss "IDOLA have the Immortal Feather" other great tracks from the game are Growl from the Digital Haze, Cry for IDOLA the Holy, Pray for IDOLA the Distorted, Revolution to the Origin, Mother Earth of Dishonesty, and From Seeing of the Rough Wave. Alas, just as Guantlet, none of these incredible tracks are listed on vgmusic.com.

Yeah that pretty much wraps up my favorites. I really wanted to add Secret of Mana, but aside from "Oracle" the Dark Lich battle theme and the Mana Fortress, it didn't really have much else.

Del Murder
05-29-2004, 10:14 PM
Symphony of the Night or Chrono Cross.

Kirobaito
05-29-2004, 11:06 PM
CT.

Rase
06-04-2004, 12:12 AM
Chrono Trigger or Illusion of Gaia.

Trumpet Thief
06-28-2004, 05:51 AM
Xenogears!

UltimateSpamGrover
07-08-2004, 05:22 AM
Lufia, and FF6

ChocoboRider
07-08-2004, 07:35 PM
chronotrigger, most definately.

after that, i would say. . .

aw crap i know the game but cant remember the name! it's the sequel to illusion of gaia, w/ the advancement of the world and crap.

Chris
07-11-2004, 01:27 PM
http://www.viprod.com/images/Dracula/Drac_m_b.jpg
WITHOUT DOUBT IT'S DRACULA: THE RESURRECTION.

Takara
07-16-2004, 10:29 AM
Hmm... Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Illusions of Gaia (yeah! I'm not the only one who liked that soundtrack), Breath of Fire II, SaGa Frontier... Lufia II had some nice tracks too if I recall well. Those are all the other games I can think of right now.

Lord Chainsaw
07-16-2004, 07:50 PM
My favorite track from Illusion of Gaia was the Larai Cliffs. I also liked the boss battle music and the final boss music.

I think it's predecessor, Soulblazer has even better music. Deathtoll's theme kicks my ass every time I hear it.

Outsider
07-18-2004, 07:24 PM
Chrono Trigger.

There are other games with very good soudtracks, too...
Super Castlevania IV
Megaman 3
Megaman X
Actraiser
Lufia
R-Type
Destiny Of An Emperor
Golden Axe
EVO - Search For Eden

Palindrome
07-18-2004, 10:15 PM
Baldurs gate 2
starcraft
warcraft 2
the suffering (scariest game ever)
Command and Conqure
unreal tournamet
tekken 1-4 (includeing tag tournament)

-N-
07-19-2004, 08:58 AM
Chrono Cross or Xenogears. Chrono Cross has more outstanding singles, but Xenogears is a more solid soundtrack.

chu52
07-21-2004, 01:42 AM
KH for the One winged angel, there even if ff games can't be suggested one winged angel still is the best

AuronSephiroth
07-26-2004, 08:22 PM
I'd say Unreal Tournament it's music is gr8

BG-57
07-27-2004, 03:03 AM
Xenogears
Chrono Cross
Valkyrie Profile

randomfatguy609
07-28-2004, 08:39 PM
CC, Timesplitters 2, Sky Blazer, any castlevania game, metroid prime, demons crest, and any zelda game

whats the sequel to illusion of gaia??? i need to know!!!

Rase
07-28-2004, 09:32 PM
Soulblazer, I beileve.

Trumpet Thief
07-31-2004, 02:48 AM
Xenogears!

Forgot about Xenosaga.

chu52
07-31-2004, 05:15 PM
for pure technoness: Zone Of The Enders 2, that has some kick ass techno in it.

Kopteri
08-22-2004, 09:43 AM
Symphony of the night and Guilty Gear X2

Triple T
08-23-2004, 02:39 PM
I'd have to say Chrono Trigger and Dark Cloud 2 are tied for #1. :)

skatehippie
09-29-2004, 06:41 PM
Xenogearzzzz

And cmon what about Zelda: Ocarina of Time???

That game had such awesome music...the lost woods? Kakariko(sp) forest? Overworld theme???

It was awesome.

And yeah Castlevania series has awesome music.

So did Primal for PS2 cuz they had 16 Volt write all the music for it so it's full of really melodic industrial rock....battle music is the SH17!