PDA

View Full Version : SaGa Frontier I & II

SuperPac
03-03-2004, 11:20 PM
I just got both of these games, and I've started playing the first one a bit, but I'm not really enjoying it much. I'm trudging through it, determined not to give up, because so many games are good AFTER a certain point. It just sort of throws you in the middle of the story (not entirely bad, but confusing), the characters emotions just go every which way, and everything seems rushed. The only thing I really enjoy is earning abilities.

So tell me, is 1 really worth it? Is there any reason I should play 1 before 2? I just don't want to give up on a good game before it gets good... any help would be nice; thanks!

Lord Chainsaw
03-07-2004, 12:52 AM
I've beaten Saga Frontier I with all 7 characters and I can tell you that game is definitely a lot of fun.

The quests may seem short, but the gameplay is where it's at. You'll find your stats increasing after every battle which really gives you a sense of accomplishment after every fight. The game is very nonlinear (especially Lute and Asellus' quests) and you can go just about anywhere.

There are some great and diificult optional bosses like the Abyss Bat (1000 damage Magnum Tornado is sick) and the somewhat easier Earth Dragon.

Overall, I think you'd enjoy Saga Frontier I. I almost forgot to mention that the soundtrack in that game is EXCELLENT. The final boss tracks are all wonderful (especially Red's final boss music).

The game might get repetitive after about the 4th Quest, but the good thing is you can drop the game when it gets stale and come back a year or so later and do the other 3. Hell it took me about 3 years of on and off play to finish all seven quests.

The reward for finishing the quests is excellent. You are taken to a programmer's room that is simply hilarious. I won't spoil the programmer's room, but I will tell you you get to fight all the final bosses again if you want to (that means listening to their kick ass music again!)

As for Saga Frontier II, I haven't gotten very far into it. I recommend you play the first one. Hell, pick them both up. They're only what, 15.99 each?

SuperPac
03-07-2004, 10:14 PM
Well, I have them both, and my brother got bored with the first one and started the second. He's really enjoying the second alot more than the first. I was just wanting to see if I should play the first first or wait and play it when I don't have anything else (which'll never happen).

Thanks for your help, I'll go play it now. :)

Omega_x
03-08-2004, 01:50 AM
I got the second one and didn't enjoy it much. I never really got the storyline because you play the game in different time sequences on a timeline, and there is no way to tell if you are doing them in order, which really f**ks the story up. The abilities are alright and the combo system, but you never get a chance to actually develope the characters because you are always using new character in different time sequences, which can really confuse you.

I found it to be somewhat enjoyable until the main characters die then it just got f***ing confusing!