PDA

View Full Version : Red necks/ hicks

escobert
03-04-2004, 02:50 AM
so what are your views on the cool people? TELL ME!

Kirobaito
03-04-2004, 03:18 AM
Wow, it seems as if we'll have another mini-Civil War, Bert. This is, what, our third? SOUTHERNERS RULE! SCREW YOU YANKEES! And we're not rednecks/hicks. There really aren't any, in this day and age. Maybe you should leave the second-most boring state (the first being Wyoming), and come down here for some serious southern hospitality. But rednecks and hicks aren't there anymore.

escobert
03-04-2004, 03:20 AM
I wasn't referring to the south ;)

Kirobaito
03-04-2004, 03:21 AM
Is that a smart response, or am I stupid and misunderstood the point of this thread?

escobert
03-04-2004, 03:23 AM
You misunderstood the point of this thread. Rednecks are everwhere not just the south. Vermont if full of them and being atleast half of one I know. Most of my friends are hicks. My dad is a redneck hick.

Kirobaito
03-04-2004, 03:26 AM
Oh, well, I don't know any rednecks/hicks. I guess they all went up to boredo-land.

Peegee
03-04-2004, 03:33 AM
They are portrayed by the media in a comical fashion. I have yet to meet any, so I don't really care. I would imagine them to be either old fashioned or just plain simple (minded?)

Yes I'm stereotyping. I can't help it because I haven't met them. Bert, come visit so I can meet some xD

Zyx
03-04-2004, 03:33 AM
Well I dont' no none o dem hicks or redneckers but I sher can tell quit a feu "you mit be a redneck if ..." joks.

Advent Child
03-04-2004, 03:36 AM
Hicks bother me.

PeTeRL90
03-04-2004, 03:42 AM
I really don't care.

I live in the south, and haven't seen that many hicks around here anyways, so that may be why.

Meat Puppet
03-04-2004, 04:00 AM
What the hell is a red neck.

Mr. Graves
03-04-2004, 04:17 AM
I had one for a prinicle once.

Interesting thread, btw.

Shlup
03-04-2004, 04:23 AM
I'm a hick. Not a redneck, but a hick. I hate me. *stab*

Logan
03-04-2004, 04:45 AM
My neighbor is a hick. He says, TOO-lar, for my town's name. I cry inside everytime I hear it.

Thunday Man
03-04-2004, 05:17 AM
My views of hicks, via FG.

"Its my sex box, and her name is Sony"

-Family Guy

Meat Puppet
03-04-2004, 07:57 AM
What the heck is a hick?

EternalBahamut
03-04-2004, 02:42 PM
A hick is someone from the country, someone who wears wife-beaters and drinks beer for breakfast and baths on sundays, someone who buggers their sheep and lives in a trailer park. Did I get all of the stereotypes or at least the main ones?

fire_of_avalon
03-04-2004, 03:20 PM
Everything except the sheep fluffing. I thought that was an evil stereotype of New Zealand.

Anyways. Hick is a duragatory term for good ole boys/girls. Lead pretty simple lives and are happy with it. Level headed, know what they want how to get it, but it's never very much. Hick implies stupidity. They may be uneducated relative to alot of people, me, but most of the "hicks" I know are pretty intelligent people, just not book smart.

Rednecks are an entirely different story, if you ask a hick anyways. They're mean, slow, and voluntarily ignorant. Lazy, wicked bad bad bad people. However the term derives from the idea that Southerners, being farmers and outside workers, would develop red necks because of sunburn.

I like being from the South. We have better food and nicer old ladies.

LH
03-04-2004, 04:51 PM
I prefer honkey to hick or redneck.

Peegee
03-04-2004, 05:09 PM
I prefer honkey as a reference to all of [that] genre of human.

Fuzakeru
03-04-2004, 05:57 PM
. . . *Growls knowing she's gonna get laughed at by Vashy for this thread* . . . Dammit!! I am NOT a hick!!! >_<

Maxico
03-04-2004, 07:15 PM
A red neck as far as my english understanding of the stereotype goes is a person who rides a truck or moterbike in a trucking or moterbiking gang where everybodys name is bubba or red. Oh and they occasionaly stop for barbecue cookoffs

Dr Unne
03-05-2004, 05:54 PM
We're all hicks where I live, in western Pennsylvania. My grandfather worked in the steel mills and refers to himself as a "mill hunkey".

Peegee
03-05-2004, 05:58 PM
There's nothing wrong with being a hick.

Meat Puppet
03-05-2004, 08:02 PM
I've never seen a sheep in my life.

Dragonflame
03-05-2004, 10:12 PM
Rednecks are annoying. They're fun to make fun of though, and I guess I should thank them for providing inspiration for so many jokes.

And EternalBahamut forgot that hicks are also thought of as being inbred, which reminds me of a great redneck joke I once heard:

You might be a redneck if you go to a family reunion to meet girls.

Seifer
03-05-2004, 10:28 PM
I'm surrounded by them. They usually like to listen to country(sh1tty) music, chew tobacco, and you can usually find them in shop class trying to build a vehicle out of pieces they had leftover in their backyard. They're also pretty grimy...dirt under their finger nails, all that jazz. Pretty stupid too.

They annoy me.

DMKA
03-05-2004, 10:59 PM
Come to Oklahoma/Hell...they're all thats here.

When I say hick, I'm speaking of an ignorant person thats uncivilized, can't spell at a 1st grade level, and is extremely racist and closed minded. Thats what a hick is to me.

Thus, I hate them. And they're all thats in Oklahoma...I can't wait to go back home (California), but I'm beginning to think that will never happen:(.

escobert
03-06-2004, 12:10 AM
Well here in Vermont a hick/ redneck is pretty much the same thing. Someone who wears big steeltoe boots, chews tobacco, like big old chevy trucks, likes to drink beer or cheap liquer, mostly like country but we also enjoy classic rock and a few others, Our partys are out in the woods where you have to have 4 wheel drive to get to. Yup we had a good ole party last night.

Del Murder
03-06-2004, 12:18 AM
If this thread was about Hispanics, or Black people, and people talking about how they find 'them' annoying and then starting up with the stereotypes, it wouldn't have lasted as long as this one did. It's a double standard, but it won't stand anymore. Bert, I'm sorry, because I'm sure your intentions on this topic were good, but some of the other posts are starting to borderline on racism and that's a path we don't go down around here.