PDA

View Full Version : Linearity

MartyM
03-04-2004, 05:20 AM
I was discussing this with a friend today:

I've only played through FF1, 4, and 6 completely. I've played 5 a bit and tried X, but 3 hours in I just couldn't stand it anymore. We determined over the course of the conversation that I enjoy mostly fast-paced, non-linear games. To that end, he recommended FF 7 and 8 for me, but told me that I probably wouldn't like X at all, as he described it as "a straight line." What do you guys think? Which FFs do you consider more linear than the others, and why?

Kirobaito
03-04-2004, 05:22 AM
FFX is as straight line as you get. Probably the least was FF7 or 6. Coincidentally, those are the two that most people find to be their favorites. 5 I really didn't find to be that linear.

eestlinc
03-04-2004, 05:29 AM
all the games are linear up to a point. 4 is much more linear than any of the following games except maybe 10, which I haven't played. 4 has the least replay value because there is little variation in the story flow and no variation in characters.

Mo-Nercy
03-04-2004, 11:14 AM
I have nothing against linear RPGs. I really don't have preference. If it has an involving storyline, it's in my top 20.

FFX was a very linear game. But that doesn't mean it wasn't good. It has a storyline as deep and involving as any other FF. It's just as much worth playing as any other FF.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
03-04-2004, 01:02 PM
FFVII is awfully linear, too, for the first significant part of the game.

Del Murder
03-04-2004, 05:53 PM
4 has reply value because it's quick and fun, I'm not a big fan of changing things. Most of the games are linear until you get an airship/boat. Also try X-2, even though you didn't like X, X-2 is not linear at all and the only thing that limits you is what chapter you're in.

katana
03-05-2004, 05:26 PM
The least linear is definately X-2, but it is a really crappy game. Try FFVII, though it ends up getting pretty linear too. Mainly just that once you get to another island on the world map, you can go to whichever town you want, in what order you want, but all the FFs tend to be kind of linear. FFX basically led you around by a rope, though.

Del Murder
03-05-2004, 05:29 PM
X-2 is good if you like mini-games. If you don't, stay away from it.

Doomgaze
03-05-2004, 06:47 PM
Non-linear games tend not to be fast paced, so I'd say you're screwed. I mean, let's look at a good non-linear game like Morrowind. You spend an incredible amount of time just wandering. It's certainly not fast-paced.

DJZen
03-05-2004, 07:32 PM
Anything with a continuing plot is linear. I have yet to play a game that has a plot that is affected by what you actually do in the game. If there's one out there please tell me.

SupremeDude
03-05-2004, 08:55 PM
FFX was way too linear. NO world map.

That said, FFX-2 - non-linear, was the crappest FF i have ever seen.

DocFrance
03-06-2004, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by DJzen
Anything with a continuing plot is linear. I have yet to play a game that has a plot that is affected by what you actually do in the game. If there's one out there please tell me. Well, there's Morrowind, but even that has some linearity to it.