PDA

View Full Version : Ninja Gaiden

edczxcvbnm
03-04-2004, 06:07 PM
I know very few of you here own an X-Box but I still have to talk about this game because it is just so fantastic.

Team Ninja has really lived up to everything they said they would do with this game....which is surprising because the only aspect they have in the past really lived up to with DOA is the graphics.

The best part about this game is the difficulty. This game is hard man....maybe not hard like the original Ninja Gaiden but compared to today's standards...This game is a rape-fest. This is just normal...they have no easy mode but you can unlock another mode...VERY HARD(why god why ;_; )

The game controls great and the level design is very well done and everything looks great as well as animates great.

I am chapter 9 and about 9 hours in...according to the game clock. I have a tendecy to get up and leave the game running so I have no clue how long I have really been playing.

I have not died this many times fighting normal enemies since the NES days.

Del Murder
03-04-2004, 06:14 PM
I liked the original series. It was like Castlevania but better and with ninjas. Like you pointed out, I don't have an X-Box so I don't have anything else to add.

Lord Chainsaw
03-04-2004, 07:57 PM
Damn, don't tease me with this game.

I haven't gotten the game yet, because I'm saving up for FF11.

However, I got a very easy job (keeping the scoreboard for a softball tournament later today) that will net me about 50 bucks.

I plan to get Ninja Gaiden right after that. I hear this is one of the better games of the next generation systems and I can't wait to play it.

I'm crossing my fingers hoping it has the Jaquio...but it probably doesn't.

Erdrick Holmes
03-04-2004, 08:05 PM
I might actually put my prejudices aside and go out and get an Xbox. Ninja Gaiden looks badassed.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
03-04-2004, 08:10 PM
I played it for a while at EB a few days ago. The only issue I had with the control was that Ryu (it is still Ryu Hayabasa, right?) almost always walked very slowly when I wanted him to run. I don't know if that's a stylistic choice--ninja stealth and all--but I found it annoying.

I did fine running up walls, detecting secret passages, and chopping guys up in a fit of button-mashing...until I reached that white-haired nunchaku guy, who killed me in about ten seconds. Nice.

Red Wizard
03-04-2004, 09:55 PM
My friend bought this game yesterday... man, is it cool. I had to help him beat the second boss. xP

blue_midget192
03-04-2004, 10:01 PM
so where are talking about a remake of Shadow wariors?? from the nes? rihgt? little jumpy blue guy, stuck to walls, had a sword? am i right?? that game was good :D

Strider
03-05-2004, 01:50 AM
Ninja Gaiden, yes.

I haven't heard a lot of great things about XBox, but seein' some dude play this game at Gamestop the other day made me drool. It looks completely sweet.

edczxcvbnm
03-05-2004, 05:50 AM
Originally posted by Kawaii Ryűkishi
I played it for a while at EB a few days ago. The only issue I had with the control was that Ryu (it is still Ryu Hayabasa, right?) almost always walked very slowly when I wanted him to run. I don't know if that's a stylistic choice--ninja stealth and all--but I found it annoying.

I did fine running up walls, detecting secret passages, and chopping guys up in a fit of button-mashing...until I reached that white-haired nunchaku guy, who killed me in about ten seconds. Nice.

Yes it is still Ryu Hayabasa. I think EB might have a broken controller because when ever I do anything I am running. I don't think there is a way to 'walk'.

Later on in the game button mashing will get you killed. The guys I am taking down have m-16s or something and unload full clips at me....if that wasn't bad enough(getting close is a pain with out getting hit 10 trillion times). While I am taking down one of them there is some jerk with a rocket launcher shooting me with rockets in the back.

I love this game :cry:

I would also like to state that this is the reason I bought my x-box in december(when this game was suppose to come out). I am not disappointed with my decision. I also can't wait to figure out how to unlock all 3 of the original Ninja Gaiden games. I have the second game and its hard as hell also. I dare not face the horror that is Ninja Gaiden 3.

I wouldn't pick up a system for just one game but this is the one that put me over the top lets say.

Lord Chainsaw
03-05-2004, 06:48 PM
Ninja Gaiden III is the hardest of the old school Ninja Gaidens.

While the last level of the original Ninja Gaiden is harder (damn Jaquio and his fireballs) than Ninja Gaiden III, the fact that you have limited continues makes Ninja Gaiden III an overall harder game.

I'm not sure if the Xbox version is like the SNES version of Ninja Gaiden Trilogy, where they give you passwords thereby eliminating the need for continues in Ninja Gaiden III. If they do then the first Ninja Gaiden probably would be the hardest to beat of the three.

Ninja Gaiden II, while my favorite of the series, happens to be the easiest one.

I'm getting the Xbox one today, so I've yet to see if the levels are as hard as level 6 in the original Ninja Gaiden or the horrendously difficult Ancient Ship of Doom in Ninja Gaiden III.

edczxcvbnm
03-05-2004, 08:45 PM
For the most part the game is easier on normal difficulty. Given that there are save points and you can carry items to replenish health makes the game easier. I think it will be just as hard as the old trilogy on Very Hard though. Time will tell.

Talus
03-05-2004, 11:50 PM
The game is good, I like the difficulty levels. The ability to use different melee weapons is pretty fun (I'm looking at you Nunchaku combos).

The only main complaint I have is with the camera, especially in the heat of battle a shuriken might hit you and you have no idea who threw it, or a ninja will fall from the sky and you won't see it coming. I also hate having to hit the R-Trigger so often. A few more save points would be nice sometimes too.

I don't think it lives up to the hype, but it's still a good game.

Sephex
03-06-2004, 12:39 AM
Yeah, I am having fun with it as well! The only problem withthe game is that the camera angles can be a bit annoying. You can easily fix it at the press of a button, but when you are in battle, you're having enough trouble fighting as it is. That's right, the split second it takes for you to touch that camera button can mean your doom!

Anyway, great game overall. I am not nearly as far as ed (chapter 6 I think), but I know tonight will be NINJA GAIDEN NIGHT AT HIS HOUSE!!!!! YEEEEEEAAAAAAARRGGGHHHH!!

edczxcvbnm
03-06-2004, 06:23 AM
I must be like the only person who doesn't have a problem with the camera. I rarely use the R-trigger.

From what I hear if you have a wide screen TV then everything is perfect. I need wide screen :cry:

Bernhard
03-07-2004, 10:41 AM
I think the game is fantastic; especially the gameplay, but the graphics are also beautiful. My only gripe would be that the bodies disappear. I mean, come on, this isn't N64 we're talking about.

Lord Chainsaw
03-08-2004, 06:46 PM
My God...

I just got this game and it is...AWESOME!

Beautiful, beautiful game.

So damn hard too.

It's a good kind of hard, too. The kind of hard that makes you want to keep playing. Not the cheap kind of hard like in Maximo. It's the kind of game where you die and you know it was your own fault for screwing up.

I spent an hour on the second boss last night. He was so hard! I just love that kind of challenge, being a Ghosts N Goblins veteran myself.

I'm currently at the third chapter. I'm trying to play this game and Legend of Dragoon at the same time, so I might take twice as long to finish it.

Overall, I like what I see.

Big D
03-09-2004, 12:41 AM
Ninja Gaiden on the Sega Master System was a great game.

Never played the X-Box version, and probably never will though.

Garland
03-10-2004, 02:51 AM
I've been waiting for an excuse to buy an X-Box. Anyone think that Ninja Gaiden is good enough to buy a system for? As of yet, the only thing holding me back from buying an X Box was that it didn't have any console specific titles of interest. PS2 has the FF's and Gamecube had PSO 1&2, and when Soul Calibur II came out, I was best off just getting it for Gamecube. The only game that ever tempted me to an X Box is Steel Battalion. Is Ninja Gaiden for X Box really as great as people are raving? If so, I might save a paycheck or two and pick one up.

edczxcvbnm
03-10-2004, 06:05 AM
I would say check out this website forums.xengamers.com (forums may not be working as they have had problems as of late).

I go there and read all their crap all the time. I would go into the X-Box or Microsoft forum and see what people have to say. There is a guy Barnoble who is reviewing the game and gave it a 7.7 or something. I would read his thread to see what he has to say and all the arguments against it.

I admit I am greatly bias towards this game. I hated shinobi and I love Ninja Gaiden. I always have. So I am a huge fan of the series from day that have long pasted.

I am also looking for a good ol' point based game to keep me play(I don't care much for shooters) and this game more than succeds. They go beyond just getting a high combo. Each encounter you get into has a time limit to earn 10,000 points on. That is more than you will ever get for getting a combo. Then there is the overall time in which you beat the level as well as how much magic you have left. There is the number of enemies you have killed(I want to say this is based off of if you killed everyone possible enemy you can encounter at least once), and the essence you collected - the essence you spent.

Very good and complex scoring system because you could easily get 200,000 points per level for just time alone on all the encounters and overall time.

I find doing this to be very fun. I am a guy who loves time and scoring my time is something I enjoy. I strive to do things better and faster(why I love metroid games).

Doomgaze
03-10-2004, 06:30 AM
One of the guys I work with has it, he talks about it a lot now. It sounds awesome, too bad I don't have an Xbox.