PDA

View Full Version : Lets go on a quest for the ring in New Zealand

Flying Mullet
03-05-2004, 06:30 PM
If anyone's been hanging out in New Zealand (or living there) are there any people/groups coming through and dressing ala "Lord of the Rings" and hiking through the countryside trying to recreate the movie or scenes in it?

I was wondering because Yahoo has ads to go explore "Middle Earth" and I didn't know if people would take it to the extreme and try to recreate their favorite whatever.

Agent Proto
03-05-2004, 06:39 PM
I doubt they could travel the mountains though to Mordor to the pits of Mt. Doom!!!! :p

Strider
03-05-2004, 06:40 PM
Of course not! No one would want to deal with a giant spider, man.

Naturally, everyone would go through the Black Gate.

Psychotic
03-05-2004, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by Strider
No one would want to deal with a giant spider, man.

I sure would. I could teach it songs, and then it could sing to me...

Flying Mullet
03-05-2004, 06:53 PM
You've never heard a spider sing, have you?

Not too pretty...

Psychotic
03-05-2004, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by Flying Mullet
You've never heard a spider sing, have you?

Not too pretty...

Only if it's a small one. I've now got a theory that big spiders, such as Shelob, can sing nicely if taught.

Also, imagine finding an orc and giving it a cuddle. I wonder what it would do...

Dr Unne
03-05-2004, 07:08 PM
I don't think most of the places shown in the movie actually exist. And the ones that do exist likely don't exist near each other. They probably flew all over the country / world finding nice spots to shoot individual scenes. I don't know how anyone could recreate any sizable part of the path the people took in the movie.

Flying Mullet
03-05-2004, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by Psychotic
Only if it's a small one. I've now got a theory that big spiders, such as Shelob, can sing nicely if taught.
True, I haven't heard any big spiders sing, you may be on to something here...

Originally posted by Dr Unne
I don't think most of the places shown in the movie actually exist. And the ones that do exist likely don't exist near each other. They probably flew all over the country / world finding nice spots to shoot individual scenes. I don't know how anyone could recreate any sizable part of the path the people took in the movie.
Yeah, it probably is very hard to do. I'm just wondering if people are traipsing around New Zealand in Lord of the Rings gear doing whatever it is they want to do. I know how far some people take their obsession with movies, so you never know.

Baloki
03-05-2004, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by Flying Mullet
Yeah, it probably is very hard to do. I'm just wondering if people are traipsing around New Zealand in Lord of the Rings gear doing whatever it is they want to do. I know how far some people take their obsession with movies, so you never know.

Zeee presiousssss, ahhhhhh

*falls into a volcano droping laptop on rock*

Meat Puppet
03-05-2004, 07:58 PM
Nobody is doing that, or at least to my knowledge. Closest thing is some guys in Red dresses at Burger king?

Loony BoB
03-05-2004, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by Dr Unne
The castles, towns etc? No, those sets are all taken down - Hobbiton still has a few remains, though.

Nature? It's all there. They shot every scene in New Zealand. A lot of the scenery makes me homesick. Some shots were obviously modified - Mount Doom (aka Mount Ngaurahoe) isn't active, and is only that dark in summer when all the snow has melted. The river Anduin? I enjoy skipping stones across that. I haven't been to the South Island, oddly enough, so I don't know about that. But the foresty pictures and whatnot, those are just as beautiful as I remember. New Zealand really does have that much variety.

Strider
03-05-2004, 08:51 PM
Aw, I was hopin' to see the mines and catch a rare glimpse at a Balrog! :(

Loony BoB
03-05-2004, 08:56 PM
;)

Actually, I have a little book about all the places that they filmed at (that weren't manufactured).

You could go to Waitomo Caves, which is just as cool as the mines, imho. I love that place. Good times.

Strider
03-05-2004, 08:58 PM
Do they have Balrogs? :D

Loony BoB
03-05-2004, 09:10 PM
They might have some form of Taniwha. Which could well be Maori for Balrog.

Dragonflame
03-05-2004, 09:58 PM
What about trolls? Do they have trolls there? I've always wanted a pet troll. I bet a troll could sing even better than a giant spider.

Meat Puppet
03-05-2004, 10:30 PM
Taniwha live in rivers.

Yes, lots of trolls.
Especially in the South.

Loony BoB
03-05-2004, 10:31 PM
Trolls are found on the internet, although I suppose there are some based in New Zealand.

And Waitomo Caves have rivers running through them!

Maxico
03-05-2004, 10:47 PM
"why dont we go down to the Crack of doom" *giggles*

no it was filmed all over the shot. The shire was filmed in germany aparantly.

Loony BoB
03-05-2004, 10:48 PM
...no, it wasn't. It was filmed entirely in New Zealand. Bag End is still THERE. Geez. You name the scenery, I'll tell you where in NZ it was shot. =P

Maxico
03-05-2004, 10:51 PM
ok there must be a recreation in germany then. Its either one of those things.

Reason
03-06-2004, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by Loony BoB
Nature? It's all there. They shot every scene in New Zealand.

A friend of mine, who likes to act like she knows everything about movies, claimed that they had done a very bad job when they edited in the mountains and plains. Haha.

And I'd like to go to New Zealand, though I can probably find prettier nature here in Norway. :p

escobert
03-06-2004, 01:05 AM
I went white water rafting onthat river in the Rohan where the lady sends off her two kids when the orcs attack the village. Evywhere we went my brother Kris wanted me to have a big battle scene with my brother Joel. Or he wanted me to find som,e orcs and beat 'em up.

Jewels
03-06-2004, 02:04 AM
Well, I don't live near Middle Earth, unfortunately, so I wouldn't know. Obviously, no one in Auckland has dressed up :( Maybe in Wellington...

DocFrance
03-06-2004, 03:57 PM
I can see it now... "What business does a nerd, a geek, and a dork have in New Zealand?"

Chibi Youkai
03-06-2004, 08:06 PM
origionally by Winged Sorceress
I don't know about those silly new zealanders, but I should go to England and recreate Harry Potter. Oh yeah.

Much of that is filmed in Scotland.

Logan
03-06-2004, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by Chibi Youkai
Much of that is filmed in Scotland.

Well then I'll go to Scotland and recreate it. Nothing can stop me! =o

Chibi Youkai
03-06-2004, 08:25 PM
Riiiighty... whatever flies your fancy.

Mikztsu
03-06-2004, 09:05 PM
I'd love to go fishing in New Zealand. People there are pretty weird and insane, though. :\

Kirobaito
03-06-2004, 11:38 PM
I'd go to New Zealand to play Lord of the Rings, sure. Of course, I'd like to go there anyway, just to see what all the fuss is about.

escobert
03-06-2004, 11:48 PM
I wanna go back to New Zealand maybe move there when I get outta Uni.

Meat Puppet
03-07-2004, 12:07 AM
Come to my house.

escobert
03-07-2004, 02:34 AM
Ok I'll be there in a minute

Calliope
03-07-2004, 06:45 AM
Originally posted by Loony BoB
You could go to Waitomo Caves, which is just as cool as the mines, imho. I love that place. Good times.

*high-five* :cool:

Rainecloud
03-07-2004, 07:24 AM
After they filmed the Rohan scenes of the film, the set was completely torn down and destroyed 'In order to help protect and preserve the delicate environment'. I say they should have left it there.

Calliope
03-07-2004, 07:30 AM
*slap*

Baloki
03-07-2004, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Baloki
Zeee presiousssss, ahhhhhh

*falls into a volcano droping laptop on rock*

^Smegal/Golum Joke^