PDA

View Full Version : Am I seeing 2 versions of Japanese religon here? which one is real??

mecharmor23
03-06-2004, 01:51 AM
Okay After studying world war 2, I found out that the whole meaning of Samauri, Bushido, Shinto etc... seem to be completley different than what I saw in animes, video games and modern Japanese people I know of.

-----------------Feudal Japan to WWII version----------
In the real world WWII and pre WWII version, the Japanese people have a very strong phobia of peace. The Bushido, according to historians, was used to justify the killing of helpless prisoners, children and babies....

In WWII the Japanese claimed that suicide bombings (exactly the same as the ones commited by modern Al Qaeda terrorists) was part of the Samurai code of conduct since the Samurai was founded. Well not exactly straping a bomb to self but more like getting engulfed in flames and running into a public crowd during feudal times. Also they seem to value the emperor's life over theirs.

Did the Allies rewrote their religon?? What I am seeing now is no where near what it seems to be now.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

------------Post WWII version-------------------------------

*From my experience of modern Japan, they seem to hold a strong grudge against empires. The emperor in their video games, books and anime often suffer so much that sometimes you can't help but feeling sorry for em.....

*They seem to be much more sensitive to pain, war and death nowadays, very diplomatic they are.... during feudal japan to WWII they seem completley the opposite.

*The Samurai, Bushido, Shinto etc.. seems to be a practice of promoting peace and love....

*Japanese are against Al Qaeda even though the Japanese were founders of suicide bombers.

------------------------------------------------------------------

I am posting this because I want to know if it is true that the Allies rewrote their religon and changed it from warmongering to pacifist. I am also suprized that their are no citizen in Japan complaining about games having "emperor" and "evil" in the same sentence..... and so many of their RPGs involve destroying the evil empire from world domination.... (considering how feudal Japan and WWII Japan tried so hard to achive it for thousands of years with sacrafices of millions upon millions of lives.)

what do you think?? Please feel free to correct me because I only started to go into depth of the Pacific battles. How much am I right or wrong?? opinions??

Kawaii Ryűkishi
03-06-2004, 02:17 AM
I think you're confusing matters of religion and culture, and the Allies didn't force any new outlook upon them; they changed their ways themselves in the post-war era. For example, their constitution is the only one I know of that now prohibits waging war under any circumstances. (They did recently decide to provide assistance to the American military, but not so far as to actually send soldiers into combat.)

Being nuked will do that to you, I guess.

Dr Unne
03-06-2004, 02:20 AM
The Germans aren't still Nazis either, for example. WWII changed the world in many ways. It's not inconceivable that a country's culture changes over time. The US started out isolationist and pro-slavery and disallowed women to vote. Sometimes it doesn't even take a war to change a country, but war can certainly do it.

Meat Puppet
03-06-2004, 03:10 AM
I don't think it matters that much, a) i'm not Japanese, and b) it probably happens heaps in Africa

TheAbominatrix
03-06-2004, 05:28 AM
Originally posted by mecharmor23
Okay After studying world war 2, I found out that the whole meaning of Samauri, Bushido, Shinto etc... seem to be completley different than what I saw in animes, video games and modern Japanese people I know of.

Bushido is the code of the samurai, not a religion. Anime and video games are not proper reflections of real life in any form.

-----------------Feudal Japan to WWII version----------
In the real world WWII and pre WWII version, the Japanese people have a very strong phobia of peace. The Bushido, according to historians, was used to justify the killing of helpless prisoners, children and babies....

Try studying the code of the bushido. It's an honor code used in battle, not justification for murder, despite what the Japanese did in battle in the WWII era. Japanese soldiers are not samurai, by the way. Why would anyone have a phobia of peace? This would infer that they were constantly at war and lived in danger, which is not true.

In WWII the Japanese claimed that suicide bombings (exactly the same as the ones commited by modern Al Qaeda terrorists) was part of the Samurai code of conduct since the Samurai was founded. Well not exactly straping a bomb to self but more like getting engulfed in flames and running into a public crowd during feudal times. Also they seem to value the emperor's life over theirs.

In case you havent noticed, Al Qaeda targets innocent lives, civilians and the like. The only targets for kamekaze pilots were American warships. It was a manner of honor, a willingness to die for one's country, to put the country and their Emporer above themselves. As for lighting themselves on fire and running into a crowd... first of all, that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Secondly, what would it accomplish? People arent going to stand there and be lit on fire by this person (and by the way, try lighting yourself on fire and staying aware enough to find a target) and then continue to stand there while they burn.

Did the Allies rewrote their religon?? What I am seeing now is no where near what it seems to be now.

Maybe because your facts are ridiculously wrong.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

------------Post WWII version-------------------------------

*From my experience of modern Japan, they seem to hold a strong grudge against empires. The emperor in their video games, books and anime often suffer so much that sometimes you can't help but feeling sorry for em.....

Some of the Emporers in the past werent the best. Some were tyrants. Maybe when people write books ten years from now they're paint Bush in an unfavorable light, but that doesnt mean Americans hate presidents as a whole.

They seem to be much more sensitive to pain, war and death nowadays, very diplomatic they are.... during feudal japan to WWII they seem completley the opposite.

Feudal Japan... equate it to the feudal days of England and whatnot. England doesnt constantly wage war within itself... who changed this? England and the world as a whole as these things became outdated? Or someone forcing it? I'm pretty sure it was the former.

*The Samurai, Bushido, Shinto etc.. seems to be a practice of promoting peace and love....

There are no traditional Samurai anymore. Samurai's were the soldiers of feudal lords... that's like saying the Knights of England promote peace now... they dont exist as they were before. And you should study Shintoism more, you dont seem to know much about it.

*Japanese are against Al Qaeda even though the Japanese were founders of suicide bombers.

Once more, Kamekaze pilots are not at all the same as these suicide bombers. And, the Germans used to stick people in concentration camps, does that mean they would support someone doing this now? I highly doubt it

eestlinc
03-06-2004, 06:02 AM
The difference between a kamikaze pilot and a suicide bomber is that one operates in civilian areas and the other in battlefields of war. It's the same basic concept though. Basically, almost every civilization with any length of history has committed numerous atrocities. Cast the first stone, you know...

Meat Puppet
03-06-2004, 06:10 AM
I thought Arabs invented the suicide bomber back when Aladdin was king.

TheAbominatrix
03-06-2004, 06:19 AM
Originally posted by eestlinc
The difference between a kamikaze pilot and a suicide bomber is that one operates in civilian areas and the other in battlefields of war. It's the same basic concept though. Basically, almost every civilization with any length of history has committed numerous atrocities. Cast the first stone, you know...

Same concept, yes. But there's a key difference in attacking military targets full of people that can fight back during a battle and randomly blowing up innocent civilians.

Maxico
03-06-2004, 10:09 AM
England doesnt constantly wage war within itself... who changed this? England and the world as a whole as these things became outdated? Or someone forcing it? I'm pretty sure it was the former.

Well some things never change.

"were going out to another country miles away Because god told us to"

"were going out to another country miles away because Bush told us to"

Although sarcasm aside (Tin canned people hacking peasents to pieces is down a bit.) You are judging your facts on another countrys historical documents and a form of mass media production. Im pretty sure that not all amecians have big mucles, massive chain guns and blow up helicopters.

TheAbominatrix
03-06-2004, 11:43 PM
I dont mean these holy wars that happened in England. I'm talking about the wars between the feudal lords for land and whatnot. A feudal country is a far far different system than the one we're used too now. But yes, you have a good point. :)

And yes, before you jump to any conclusions, stop getting your information from anime. Go get books on Japan, written by Japanese. Then get some written by non-Japanese. The truth is probably somewhere in between. Always try and get facts from different sources before you make a judgement.

Meat Puppet
03-07-2004, 12:09 AM
The holy wars involved some of England but happened in like Iraq or something. Persia. I don't know.

mecharmor23
03-07-2004, 06:56 PM
Ahh something new I found. Japanese people, unfortunatley still hate Asian non-Japanese people with a such a large magnitude that would literally make Hitler look like a moralist and pacifist and it is that bad. The Japanese government not only encourages such hatred but even going as far as denying the holocaust and praying for the Japanese dead war criminals. They seem to be proud and at the same time sounding really really really really really desprate to shed blood on Asia again. At least that is what the govenor of Tokyo said. He wants to expel all foriegners from Japan. Picture a vampire that hasn't been fed for a few days and you will get the picture of how desprate those politicians are. The question is why to they hate Asia millions of times more worse than than Hitler hating the jews?? Why are Asians hated that much?? I got this all from 2 sites below. If I got the wrong sources please tell me. Correct any mistakes.

http://www.csupomona.edu/~tassi/nanjing.htm
http://www.cnd.org/njmassacre/

TheAbominatrix
03-07-2004, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by mecharmor23
Ahh something new I found. Japanese people, unfortunatley still hate Asian non-Japanese people with a such a large magnitude that would literally make Hitler look like a moralist and pacifist and it is that bad. The Japanese government not only encourages such hatred but even going as far as denying the holocaust and praying for the Japanese dead war criminals. They seem to be proud and at the same time sounding really really really really really desprate to shed blood on Asia again. At least that is what the govenor of Tokyo said. He wants to expel all foriegners from Japan. Picture a vampire that hasn't been fed for a few days and you will get the picture of how desprate those politicians are. The question is why to they hate Asia millions of times more worse than than Hitler hating the jews?? Why are Asians hated that much?? I got this all from 2 sites below. If I got the wrong sources please tell me. Correct any mistakes.

http://www.csupomona.edu/~tassi/nanjing.htm
http://www.cnd.org/njmassacre/

Not only did you blatantly ignore everything said in this thread, you came up with more of it. Good job.

Dr Unne
03-07-2004, 09:40 PM
<i>Always try and get facts from different sources before you make a judgement.</i> --TheAbominatrix

Yes.

<i>Japanese people, unfortunatley still hate Asian non-Japanese people with a such a large magnitude that would literally make Hitler look like a moralist and pacifist and it is that bad.</i> --mecharmor23

This is stereotypical, prejudicial nonsense. At the very least I can say that the Japanese people I've known are nothing like that, and everything I learned in two years studying Japanese language and culture in college never indicated anything like you're saying.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
03-08-2004, 08:16 PM
The desire to limit the population of immigrants in Japan is simply practical, since the country already hosts a total population about half the size of that of the United States on a mass of land about the size of California.