PDA

View Full Version : Remember the Alamo

Kirobaito
03-07-2004, 12:37 AM
For those of you who don't know, today is the 178th Anniversary of the Last Siege of the Alamo. As a Texan, I know this date like the back of my hand, but some people, especially those ones who live outside the US, don't know what exactly occurred on this date. It's also my dad's birthday and Michael Finley's birthday.

Texas, a state of Mexico, was fighting for its independence, because they felt that they were far too different from the rest of the country. They weren't being oppressed or anything. However, Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna, Mexico's dictator, refused to let its largest state just leave. He sent troops into Texas, and the Texas Revolution began. :)

After the Battle of San Antonio, a raid on the largest city in Texas at that time by Ben Milam, a group of a few hundred Texan soldiers camped out in an old mission, called San Antonio de Valero, but later renamed the Alamo. They knew that they had to hold this spot from the invading Mexican forces. Santa Anna invaded Texas with an army of 5,000 trained soldiers and immediately sieged the Alamo. No reinforcements, besides a few dozen, came to the lost fort. However, the Colonel in charge, William Barret Travis, offered his men a chance to leave the fort, and live, or stay, and die. Nobody left amongst the 189 men, that included frontier hero Davy Crockett, and James Bowie, the namesake of the Bowie Knife.

Anyway, in the morning of March 6, 1836, the Mexican soldiers invaded the fort, with the orders to kill everyone, except women and children. Every single one of the fighters died, except for one: Travis' slave whom the Mexican army felt sorry for. However, in losing every single one of their army, the Texans killed over 1100 Mexicans. Thanks to their heroic effort, Sam Houston, the Army General of Texas, felt inspired on April 22 when he led his forces on a surprise attack at San Jacinto and won Texas's independence.

So, make sure to remember what someone else's forefathers did for someone else on this day. Enter the sacrifice.

This public service announcement has been brought to you by KB.

EDIT: Typos galore.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
03-07-2004, 12:49 AM
Those guys were great.

Phil
03-07-2004, 01:26 AM
The Alamo was indeed a great battle. I've been there several times and seen a ton of movies about it. Its a rather sad story thou :(
Texans kick buttox

escobert
03-07-2004, 01:46 AM
I would like to go there some time.

Chibi Youkai
03-07-2004, 02:10 AM
Oh, I wish that I could go... but as a stranded Texan in Wyoming I unfrotunately can't. Being in school doesn't help either.

Montoya
03-07-2004, 06:37 AM
Don't see what is so great about killing people.

eestlinc
03-07-2004, 06:39 AM
Davy, Davy Crockett!!!!

let's all sing together now!

Kirobaito
03-07-2004, 06:44 AM
King of the Wild Frontier!

PS: Crockett actually didn't fight in the battle. As soon as it started he hid, and surrendered.

Doomgaze
03-07-2004, 06:52 AM
Yes, we should all honor those brave Texans who fought to the death because those dastardly Mexicans wouldn't let them own slaves!

Kirobaito
03-07-2004, 07:00 AM
Doomgaze, I would appreciate it that you didn't turn this thread into a flamewar about that. This is a thread to honor the Texans who gave their lives for their country, regardless of their beliefs. I said good and well in the first post that the Mexicans were not oppressing the Texans, besides that they refused to let most Texans hold their own firearms. So please, don't desecrate these honored dead.

Nait
03-07-2004, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by King Bahamut
I said good and well in the first post that the Mexicans were not oppressing the Texans, besides that they refused to let most Texans hold their own firearms. So please, don't desecrate these honored dead.

Talk about anti-gun control nuttery.

Doomgaze
03-07-2004, 04:59 PM
Can I make a thread about all the GREAT things Hitler did? I mean, as long as you little trolls don't bring up his beliefs, it should be fun!

Kirobaito
03-07-2004, 09:28 PM
Please stop spamming. That's not on this topic. If you wanna make a stupid thread about Hitler, do it; I don't care. Just don't make fun of my people. That's bordering on racism.

Chibi Youkai
03-07-2004, 09:56 PM
I agree. It's part of our legacy, and we are all proud of it.

Montoya
03-11-2004, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by King Bahamut
Please stop spamming. That's not on this topic. If you wanna make a stupid thread about Hitler, do it; I don't care. Just don't make fun of my people. That's bordering on racism.

And saying that killing 1,000 of my people is great, somehow is not racist? The revolution had no real purpose other than mindless revenge.

Chibi Youkai
03-11-2004, 01:36 AM
Yes, it might have been, but we were trying to do it for the right reasons.

Linus
03-11-2004, 01:42 AM
<i>"So, make sure to remember what someone else's forefathers did for someone else on this day."</i> - King Bahamut

If you don't want to do what he asks of you, don't post.

Inconsiderate people.

escobert
03-11-2004, 01:45 AM
Yeah but they didnt do anything for me ever besides kill people in my family.

Montoya
03-11-2004, 02:04 AM
Originally posted by Linus
<i>"So, make sure to remember what someone else's forefathers did for someone else on this day."</i> - King Bahamut

If you don't want to do what he asks of you, don't post.

Inconsiderate people.

I did what he asked of me, I do rememeber; just not from the same point of view.

Dragonflame
03-11-2004, 02:32 AM
Originally posted by Doomgaze
Yes, we should all honor those brave Texans who fought to the death because those dastardly Mexicans wouldn't let them own slaves!

Please correct me if I'm mistaken, but the Mexican government didn't try especially hard to enforce its anti-slavery on the Texans. Thus, the Texas revolution was not about slavery, because Santa Anna wasn't bothering to punish the few Texans who owned slaves.

And also, if you're going to bring the beliefs of each side into this thread, I hope you're not going to leave out Santa Anna's. Because, as we all know, he was such a wonderful person.

Kirobaito
03-11-2004, 03:53 AM
Geez, this thread is just getting better and better....

Ya know what? These brave Texans did this for me. If they wanted to own slaves, fine! That wasn't the cause of the revolution. Santa Anna really did not CARE if they owned slaves. He was against slavery, but he wasn't an abolitionist. Americans settled Texas, and they were all Americans, who believed in democracy. Santa Anna was, I'm afraid, a DICTATOR. They did not want to be ruled by a dictator. It had nothing to do with them being Mexican. Killing 1,000 soldiers because they flew the flag of ZERO MERCY in the heat of battle is actually quite an honorable thing in this world. It was much better than the Mexican army, who slaughtered their prisoners one by one on a field at Goliad. That turns them into Milosevices.

Dragonflame
03-27-2004, 10:34 PM
Thank you. I forgot to mention Goliad. At least when the Texans slaughtered the Mexicans at the Alamo the Mexicans had a chance to fight back. If anyone can think of a good reason why the Mexicans should be considered the good guys in the Texas revolution I would love to hear it, but, I'm pretty sure the earlier comparison of the Texans to the Nazis has been mostly proven wrong.

gokufusionss1
03-27-2004, 10:40 PM
Can i mention rourkes drift 176 infantry soldiers against 13,000 zulus. And a micheal cain film

Chibi Youkai
03-27-2004, 11:09 PM
What does a Michael Cain film have to do with this thread?

Montoya
03-28-2004, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by Dragonflame
If anyone can think of a good reason why the Mexicans should be considered the good guys in the Texas revolution I would love to hear it, but, I'm pretty sure the earlier comparison of the Texans to the Nazis has been mostly proven wrong.

The war was pointless, no side was good. The Texans revolted against the Mexicans becasue they felt different than the rest of the country? That is bull!@#$, that is just like saying the Latinos should revolt against the United States in the southern states simply because they "feel different".

Kirobaito
03-28-2004, 10:15 PM
Actually, they weren't getting a voice in their government, because Santa Anna was a dictator. There was an overwhelming majority of whites in Texas, as opposed to Mexicans, and they weren't even getting to assemble to decide matters amongst themselves. Their freedoms were being put in the hands of an arbitrary man 100% (Santa Anna), and they would much rather live in a democracy. Thus, they revolted.

The Captain
03-28-2004, 10:27 PM
Who had the brilliant idea of casting Billy Bob in the upcoming movie? Seriously, I think any film will only cheapen this event. Same thing goes for whenever a 9/11 film comes out.

Take care all.

DMKA
03-28-2004, 11:59 PM
"Yes, we should all honor those brave Texans who fought to the death because those dastardly Mexicans wouldn't let them own slaves!" ---Doomgaze

That about sums up the mantality of it...plain and simple.

Well, I hate the south anyway, so no, the Alamo can go into the trash heap along with the rest of the horrible history that region of the US has. Anyone who says "lets celebrate the killing of a bunch of people simply because they wanted to deny the human rights of and kill even MORE people which those people they fought wouldn't let them do! Who cares how *****ed up there objective was! LETS CELEBRATE" is just...sick. I say just shoot them all in the face with the guns they oh so love and used to kill the people who wouldn't 'let them' have slaves.

That war was pointless and horrid, an a bunch of people died for a horrible cause. There were no 'good guys'...it just makes me sick to see that people are celebrating this crap.

FORGET THE ALAMO!

Kirobaito
03-29-2004, 12:21 AM
You have very little reason to hate the south. And geez, I'm a Southerner, and I'm proud of that, but never have I said that I hate the North. I said that I don't agree with Northerners' views on most things, but hating people based on where they live...no. And because we are "The South", and not up to your "absurd standards", that does not mean that you can scrap out our history.

Thank you for threatening to shoot me and the rest of my "kind" in the face. And you seem to only be paying attention to the arguments that make your views count. The battle of the Alamo was something that shouldn't be forgotten, as it was a small group against overwhelming odds who refused to show any mercy, despite the fact that they outnumbered the Texans 30:1. The bloodshed, no, that is not what should be celebrated. However, the honor and passion that those soldiers displayed...the refusal to surrender because you knew that they would line you and your breathren up and shoot you, one by one...that should be honored. They could have run...but they didn't, because they believed in democracy, and not submitting to the will of a dictator who happened to despise you.

AND FOR THE LAST TIME: SLAVERY WAS NOT THE CAUSE OF THE TEXAS REVOLUTION, NEITHER WAS IT THE CAUSE OF THE AMERICAN CIVIL WAR*. IT WAS THE SAME BASIS FOR THAT OF THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION: THEY WANTED TO HAVE A DEMOCRACY IN PLACE, NOT A GOVERNMENT IN WHICH ONE MAN CONTROLLED ALL. (except with the American Revolution it was Parliament, not made up of a single colonist)

*the cause of the American Civil War was in the hands of governmental supremacy. The North felt that the Federal Government should be supreme; the South felt that State Governments should decide.

And wanting to have your own government is a horrible cause? Then I guess the American Revolution, French Revolution, as well as countless other revolutions were "horrible causes."

Please don't treat my heritage like that. I don't say that any history that the North has should be thrown away, because it shouldn't. I choose not to forget any history, as we can learn from it. Please don't forget our history.

Dr Unne
03-29-2004, 12:51 AM
A bit too much arguing going on here, sorry