PDA

View Full Version : What do you like in an online/user name?

White Raven
03-07-2004, 06:02 PM
With all this talk of online names with the tourney happening, I was wondering why people voted for certain names over others. What makes you like a username?

I like names that one could easily go by in real life, for instance, if I'm walking down the street and I see *insert member with numbers or symbols in their name* it would be teedious to shout out their names to say hello.

Some of my friends actual refer to me as Raven, since I've used this nickname for so long.

Del Murder
03-07-2004, 06:04 PM
Cool or random names, without underscores or numbers. It has to be original.

Dr Unne
03-07-2004, 06:08 PM
I don't care about originality, so much as rareness. I didn't think up Dr. Unne, I stole the name / character from FF1, but it's a rare name to use, so I like it well enough. Sometimes I pick random obscure Biblical names for things, like Jemuel or Lamech. They're non-original, but they seem original.

escobert
03-07-2004, 06:08 PM
SOme of my freinds at school call me Bert so that's how I got it. I agrtee with the no #s and ones you cant pronounce.

Doomgaze
03-07-2004, 06:18 PM
A good username should be edczxcvbnm.

The Man
03-07-2004, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by Doomgaze
A good username should be edczxcvbnm. I couldn't have put it any better myself. Ed got robbed in the last screen name tournament. Robbed.

eestlinc
03-07-2004, 06:51 PM
something that doesn't make sense on the surface but really has a meaning, is easy to pronounce and make shorter nicknames from, has no numbers or capital letters, and fails to reveal gender clearly.

Burtsplurt
03-07-2004, 08:08 PM
Something that has character. I don't care if it's particularly original, but I get bored of people called xXCloudXx or Squall_192. I like to be able to associate a name with a personality.

Originally posted by eestlinc
something that doesn't make sense on the surface but really has a meaning... and make shorter nicknames from, has no numbers or capital letters, and fails to reveal gender clearly.

Glad to see you like ed as well, eest. :)

PeTeRL90
03-07-2004, 08:21 PM
Something not too hard to remember.

Maxico
03-07-2004, 08:21 PM
Well I guess my name clears all of the requirments.

phew.

at least its better than my horwid horwid horwid previous name.

and edczxcvbnm is THE best name ever.

Peegee
03-07-2004, 08:53 PM
A combination of Ascii characters is often ideal

The Man
03-07-2004, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by Burtsplurt
Something that has character. I don't care if it's particularly original, but I get bored of people called xXCloudXx or Squall_192. I like to be able to associate a name with a personality.exactly, because neither of those characters have personalities. *rimshot*

crono_logical
03-07-2004, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by Moo Moo the Ner Cow
A combination of Ascii characters is often ideal What? Not Unicode? :p

The Man
03-07-2004, 09:55 PM
Unicode names are the best, man.

Citizen Bleys
03-07-2004, 09:57 PM
What? Eunuch code?

crono_logical
03-07-2004, 09:57 PM
It's also good in that it forces people to support a better character set than Windows-123134781657852 in their browser/whatnot if they want stuff to render right :p

The Man
03-07-2004, 09:58 PM
that's an incredibly valid point xD

Fuzakeru
03-07-2004, 10:13 PM
. . . as long as I can tell who I am among the ranks then the name works.

Tokki Wartooth
03-07-2004, 11:02 PM
Of course, it's not the name that matters, but how popular the person is.

Shlup
03-07-2004, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by Del Murder
Cool or random names, without underscores or numbers. It has to be original. Yes, that. Or the name of an existing character is okay, but original is better. Or lame is better.

Usernames I use are:
ShlupQuack
Speckled Donkey
Girl
Plum (from Chobits)

Divina
03-07-2004, 11:38 PM
I prefer simplicity in a screen name.

For me, I prefer that and a name that people don't end up misspelling in every other post. =P

ZeZipster
03-07-2004, 11:51 PM
Well if you really want to see some good names, sign on AIM for about an hour and wait for some random person to IM you asking who you are, they'll have the best names like...

Hottieboy2024
anglegrl692394
sk8rboy39583042084
britneyspear23984759823
sephritoh3920
eminembfer394934

I mean, all of those names have got to get like an award or some thing 'cause they are original and creative.

Fuzakeru
03-08-2004, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by ShlupQuack
Plum (from Chobits)

Plum! I love Chobits. I have a Chobits name on Yahoo. All of my names are -
LadySteph - LadySt3ph ( LJ ) - LadyDreamSprite ( AIM ) - then all my Yahoo names . . . curious_chii - vash_stalker_meryl - sephiroths_corrupted_angel
Hehe. Thank god for anime.

Yamaneko
03-08-2004, 12:54 AM
I've always been partial to dictator names.

Reason
03-08-2004, 02:15 AM
Any names with a hint of originality and NO numbers or underscores. Those get my votes.

White Raven
03-08-2004, 02:23 AM
Heh, after much thought and consideration, I think that I'll try out another name after I'm out of the tourney....and it is original and easy to memorize.

fire_of_avalon
03-08-2004, 02:33 AM
I don't like my underscores so much anymore. Someday I may change my username here to my AIM handle, but that day is not today.

Enoki
03-08-2004, 02:52 AM
I like one word names, no under scores no numbers, and no recognizable names like popular game characters or people. I personally got my name form an interview Shonen Jump did with Naruto creator Masashi Kishimoto. In the interview he says that when naming the character of Kakashi he thought of naming him Enoki (chinese nettle tree). I thought the name sounded prety cool so I adopted it as my internet personality.

Im sure you all wanted to know that.

Shlup
03-08-2004, 02:52 AM
Originally posted by fire_of_avalon
I don't like my underscores so much anymore. Someday I may change my username here to my AIM handle, but that day is not today. Why not? Any admin'd change it for you.

Linus
03-08-2004, 03:07 AM
They have to be a Peanuts character that understands human nature.

Erdrick Holmes
03-08-2004, 03:14 AM
I think a screename that is your IRL first name is really cool.

Linus
03-08-2004, 03:17 AM
Wow! Joel thinks my AIM screenname, LJ username, and e-mail address are all really cool!

AWESOME!

Erdrick Holmes
03-08-2004, 03:18 AM
Your what what and what?

Linus
03-08-2004, 03:19 AM
AIM: Josh Suth
LJ: joshsuth
E-mail: joshsuth@----.com

See? They all use my first name, and you think screennames using your real first name are cool, SO I MUST BE REALLY AWESOME!!! YEAH!!!

Erdrick Holmes
03-08-2004, 03:21 AM
I said <i>first</i> name not <i> first and part of my own last name.</i> Pay attention, boy.

Linus
03-08-2004, 03:23 AM
OH DAMN I GUESS I'M NOT COOL ANY MORE WHAT THE BLEEP WILL I DO?!~?!~? SHUCKS~?~!!~

HOOTERS
03-08-2004, 05:21 AM
Names that manage to insult various people are always good.

OR NAUGHTY RUDE FEMALE BODY PARTS :smash::smash::smash:

o_O
03-08-2004, 09:20 AM
xD Nobody likes underscores. Damn.

Most people call me Face if trying to pronounce my screen name.

I like originality, something quirky, and something that has a meaning or a story behind it. I like humour too.

Meat Puppet
03-08-2004, 09:49 AM
I like names that make me laugh, like HOOTERS, Moo Moo the Ner Cow and Dr Unne.

Breine
03-08-2004, 01:29 PM
Something that's cool and not hard to remember... And your nickname(s) are good as well. My nickname in real-life is actually Breine.. :D

Loony BoB
03-08-2004, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by o_O
Most people call me Face if trying to pronounce my screen name.
I tend to go "ooooooo-oooooooooh!" much like the sound someone who just found out something embarrassing about someone else would make.

It should be one or two words, three if you play it right. Avoid everyday English names and well known gaming characters. Avoid full caps unless it's a three-letter acronym (you MIGHT get away with four...). Don't use a single everyday word by itself if you can help it - in fact, random/creative words such as Shoyku are good. If you're going to have two of these words, consider the option of joining them together, much like ShlupQuack. If you do insist on using your original English name, be sure to add another word around it. Don't make them too long, and don't make them too boring. If you have a long name, it will be shortened for you anyway, once you come down to it. Picking two semi-random words from the English dictionary works wonders. Crunchy Beverage and Dingo_Jellybean, for example. Although, as stated by previous members, you should avoid underscores (and numbers). Names in foreign languages are okay, but let's not overdo it. In this age of the internet, having a Japanese online alias is very cliché. Especially if it's a name rather than just plain words.

Calliope
03-11-2004, 06:18 AM
Citizen Bleys and Citizen Erased
Agent Proto and Agent Orange
eestlinc and edczxcvbnm
Miriel and Miriamel
Guu and Gau

Yes.

eestlinc
03-11-2004, 06:18 AM
Calliope and Calhost

Calliope
03-11-2004, 06:20 AM
Nah, Calliope and Thalia.

Ranti
03-15-2004, 08:40 AM
Mine's most likely pretty boring, but it has a meaning to me so I keep it wherever I go online. So far there's been only one place that I've found this name where it wasn't me, everywhere else...it's most likely me. That way anyone who knows me at once place can easily recognize me somewhere else (if they care to anyways ^^; ).

In terms of other screen names, one word names are ones I'd favor. Espicially those that seem like real names (which mine isn't but that's another story). I think I tend to favor the more complicated names over like "Joe" or something. Or refering back to Calliope's post above...I'd probably favor and be drawn to Miriamel more than Miriel. It's just a slight difference but there's something about the former that's just that much more interesting. By more complicated I don't mean edczxcvbnm...that's just random, however eestlinc feels like an interesting name where the former in this case doesn't even feel like a name.

There are some screen names that I find interesting that are more than one word, but usually its just the one word screen names that feel like a name in a stretched way (if that makes sense ><).

Madonna
03-15-2004, 10:33 AM
Just do what I did, and be totally unoriginal and use a name generator. :|

In fact, use the ->one (http://www.cloudspace.com/goodies/mgsnamegen/)<- I did. I mean, it gives you the coolest ones in the world. Genius Lynx and Jockstrap Brine-Shrimp! If you can guess who's codename the latter one is, make sure to call them that. XD

Oh, and as long as people can tell who you are and not confuse you with eight thousand others, you're doing fine.

Reason
03-15-2004, 10:53 AM
I like that name generator. I would be Affable Butterfly. :o

DeathIsMyFreedom
03-15-2004, 02:56 PM
Something that has to do with something, or is an idea, Im also fond of older names, like that of the gods in the greak religion.

LH
03-15-2004, 05:06 PM
- No underscores.

- No numbers unless it helps to accentuate the individuality of the name rather than make it the next in a line. (A good example of this is the band Finger Eleven; it's a good use of numbers in a name. A bad use would be Squall283843284234238487324234287234.)

- It's generally a bad idea to use a name of a well-known character or theme. Some names of well known characters like Kain or Snake are f'in cool, so they're okay.

- I don't like when people use their real names. It's hard to put into words, but "Phil" or "Tom" is just a lame excuse for a screen name. At least use your full name so you'll be more easily identified from all the other folks who do the same.

- Use caps. Names are formal.

I'm gonna use the MGS name generator to give myself a new name.