PDA

View Full Version : Why is it that...

§håd0w
03-08-2004, 02:40 AM
FFVI on PSX lags like crazy. I mean seriously, it shouldn't take 5 seconds to load sprites for a battle, or lag whenmore than two character's turns arrive at the same time. This really pissed me off. :mad2: SNES never had those problems.

Ok, I'm done complaining.

Edgar
03-08-2004, 07:09 AM
Then don't play the PSX version :), one reason I'd rather play the SNES version.

Flying Mullet
03-08-2004, 02:12 PM
This is a common problem for the Playstation version of FFVI.

For more threads (and ranting) on this topic check out:
http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=42627
http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=42844
http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=40185

LingaringBell
03-08-2004, 04:52 PM
The load time is really required for anything with a CD, your Play Station takes some of the information off the CD originally, such as a battle that you get in, or an area you are walking around in, and a saves it in the systems' RAM, but to change from one thing to the next it has to read the CD, thus requiring alittle bit of load time, commonly known as the lag you are complaining about. PS 2 doesn't really have much of a lag time with it's games because it has much more RAM capibility. But all the other PS games have load time, you just notice this one more because you have played the game with out the lag.

Flying Mullet
03-08-2004, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by LingaringBell
The load time is really required for anything with a CD, your Play Station takes some of the information off the CD originally, such as a battle that you get in, or an area you are walking around in, and a saves it in the systems' RAM, but to change from one thing to the next it has to read the CD, thus requiring alittle bit of load time, commonly known as the lag you are complaining about. PS 2 doesn't really have much of a lag time with it's games because it has much more RAM capibility. But all the other PS games have load time, you just notice this one more because you have played the game with out the lag.
No, we're talking about the extremely bad load times of Final Fantasy VI in comparison to other Playstation games. The Playstation version of Final Fantasy VI is notorious for having really bad load times. It's not uncommon for a battle to take 10-20 seconds to load up, whereas it takes 2-3 seconds on the other Final Fantasy games on the Playstation (Final Tantasy VII - Final Fantasy IX for example). It's a known problem that everyone hates.

DJZen
03-08-2004, 05:25 PM
Just get a PS2 and turn on fast loading.

LingaringBell
03-09-2004, 04:16 PM
how do you turn on fast loading?

Flying Mullet
03-09-2004, 04:19 PM
It's in the system setup options that you can access when you turn on the PS2 without a CD/DVD in the drive. Unfortunately the fast loading is not the default setting so you have to do this everytime you trun on the PS2 and want fast loading.

Marcus
03-09-2004, 05:19 PM
Didn't Squaresoft test this game on the Playstation? Surely they must know about this... And why didn't they fix it before release?

Flying Mullet
03-09-2004, 05:20 PM
Your guess is as good as ours.

§håd0w
03-10-2004, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by Edgar
Then don't play the PSX version , one reason I'd rather play the SNES version.

That's what I normally do.

Originally posted by Marcus
Didn't Squaresoft test this game on the Playstation? Surely they must know about this... And why didn't they fix it before release?

They did, and they were also aware that the first batch of Anthology (and 17 other games as well) couldn't run on the first few generations of PS2's. They had five years to perfect it, and it seems they didn't do much to it. The least they could've done is to add a second disc for the World of Ruin. But there is no reason why is should take so long to load SPRITES of all things.

DJZen
03-10-2004, 06:52 AM
Well.... There's A reason, but it's not a good one. It's called laziness.

DMKA
04-16-2004, 02:31 PM
OOps...I just made a thread about this -___-.

But on the ones you guys have played, does it also slowdown at times durning battles? Like the frame rate goes down when they are attacking at times?

§håd0w
04-16-2004, 09:24 PM
Yeah, it pisses me off. When I enter more that two commands, it lags.

DJZen
04-17-2004, 03:44 AM
I bet this game will run AWESOME on PS3! :D

aeris2001x2
04-17-2004, 01:19 PM
my ff6 only lags in status screen, nothing else, and even that dont bother me. come on, ff6 is so good does a bit of loading really bother u?

us uk have no choice anyway, never released on snes here, plus i like the collections they added, though they didnt add a veldt list grrr.

Mr. Graves
04-17-2004, 03:01 PM
Emulation is the prime solution. :)

DMKA
04-17-2004, 05:17 PM
Not if you have a 200MHZ processor.

DJZen
04-17-2004, 07:09 PM
Correct, in which case we point and laugh. Seriously though, if you think FF6 has bad load times, play Blood Omen some time. You'll see why Silicon Knights is no longer in business.

Clyde Arronway
04-17-2004, 10:47 PM
You want to see bad load time! FFV or chronot trigger make VI look like speedy gonzales. Playing V today, I kid you not, this is neither hyperbole or exaggation, the dying sprites of enemies took four seconds each to disintigrate. Disintigration only consists of four frames, for pity sake!

Rase
04-18-2004, 07:25 AM
You'll see why Silicon Knights is no longer in business.

Actually, they are. They recently remade Metal Gear Solid for the GCN under the name Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes.