PDA

View Full Version : Konichiwai Lindows, Sianara Windows

Baloki
03-09-2004, 07:29 PM
Well, I'm currently duel booting my computer with Lindows OS 4.5

Lets just say I'm impressed, its already doing much more then ME could handle, so I'm happy but just a few questions.

Question 1: Is it possible to get a version of an instant messenger client that will let me connect to my MSNmessenger acount on Lindows?

Question 2: I have installed Lindows on a specially made 3.3 gig partition, is it possible to access my Windows Partition to dig out my MP3's and also so I don't have to have 2 copies?

Question 3: Did you know Lindows is free at the mo if you visit Diviant art?

Thats it for now, please help!!

Thanks

Dr Unne
03-09-2004, 09:06 PM
1) http://gaim.sourceforge.net among others.

2) Yes. If your Windows partition is FAT32 you can read and write to it from Linux. If it's NTFS, you can only read from it, but that's enough for playing MP3s and such. Lindows may very well have already found and mounted your partition, if it has a good installer. Type

mount

as root, and it'll list all your mounted devices. Look for one that's type vfat or ntfs. If so, you're set already.

To do it yourself from scratch, you need to compile support for VFAT and/or NTFS filesystems into your kernel. It might already be in your kernel, if Lindows comes with a stock kernel. Compiling kernels is a long process, so if you need help with that ask (or find a tutorial).

After you have support for it in your kernel, create a folder where you want to mount your Windows partition. For example, mkdir /mnt/windows (do it as root). Then try

mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /mnt/windows

Where vfat is the partition type (might be ntfs), /dev/hda1 is the Windows partiton (yours may be different), and /mnt/windows is the mount point.

See also /etc/fstab.

3) All Linux is free, for the most part.

Baloki
03-09-2004, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by Dr Unne
3) All Linux is free, for the most part.

I shall try all that tommorrow. And yes Linux is free, but you can only download Lindows if you pay for their support options, its very clever.

Dr Unne
03-09-2004, 11:42 PM
Most other distros are free. I don't think I'd use a distro I HAD to pay for. Though I do usually pay for distros that don't require it. Go figure.

Baloki
03-10-2004, 07:08 PM
Well I now need to change this thread to I had Lindows, ahhhhhhh.

I shut it down last night and now it won't boot onto Lindows, it says something is mounted in Read-only format and that I should mount it in read-write format. It then gives me the command to do so, so I put it in and nothing happens....