PDA

View Full Version : FFIV's Main Character

EveningCross
03-10-2004, 01:25 AM
I know that the booklet that comes with FFIV says that Cecil is the main character but why does the title art on the CD casing show Kain? I thought that the main character or object of importance was usually shown in the title art like the Meteor in the title art of FFVII or Yuna in the title art of FFX.

EDIT: Also, in the instruction booklet is found this poem... "One born of a dragon (Kain... a dragoon... dragoon=dragon?) bearing darkness and light, shall rise to the heavens over the still land. Bathing the moon in eternal light, he brings a promise to Mother Earth with bounty and grace. " Is that talking about Kain or Cecil?

Kirobaito
03-10-2004, 01:34 AM
I know that Cecil looks just as cool as Kain, and they wanted to show something cool. So...

Cecil won't always look like a Dragoon. He turns into a white mage.

DJZen
03-10-2004, 05:36 AM
Firstly, Cecil does NOT do that, he changes from a dark knight into a paladin. Secondly, the logo depicts Cecil. Thirdly, The word dragoon is a mis-translation. The word "dragoon" means "heavily armored knight", but since "dragon knight" did not fit into the space allowed, they used the erroneous term "dragoon" to describe Kain's class. Fourthily, as for the poem in the manual, it is the Mysidian Legend, a prophecy that refers to Cecil.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
03-10-2004, 12:31 PM
The logo definitely depicts Cain, and any doubt to that end is removed in FFChronicles. In that version, any of several loading screens featuring different characters doing different things comes up whenever memory card data is accessed. In one of them, Cain walks in from the right edge of the screen with a lance in hand, stops at the center, and poses; then he fades to shades of blue and the rest of the FFIV logo appears around him.

TheAbominatrix
03-10-2004, 12:39 PM
A 'dragon', could just be a reference to a dark, evil creature. Dragons are typically not the most light-oriented creatures in mythology (it differs from culture to culture and story to story, of course). Born fron a dragon probably just symbolizes someone who started out/lived most of their lives as a sort of dark person. They are most definitly talking about Cecil, the game makes that abundantly clear time and time again.

As for Cain in the logo... well, you said yourself Yuna was in the logo for X (I dont remember offhand), but she isnt the main character, Tidus is. Cain is very very important to the storyline of IV.

DocFrance
03-10-2004, 03:26 PM
Actually, I think the Mysidian Legend refers to the Big Whale. "One born from a dragon..." ever notice what the land looks like around the bay that the Big Whale rises out of?

TheAbominatrix
03-11-2004, 10:31 AM
That could also be true, and in fact you're probably right. Didnt even think of that.

BBman108
07-10-2004, 08:01 AM
The logo depicts kain because he is just so much cooler physicaly ... im my opinion :D

And sorta off the topic, but it is debateable on who the real main character if ffX was, Tidus because its his story or Yuna because she is more important. All depends on how you define main character.