PDA

View Full Version : Playstation 2: Fixed or Broken?

Lamia
03-10-2004, 03:11 AM
It seems that a lot of people have broken ps2s. Everytime I talk to one, "Oh, mine's broken now."

As mine is to. So here is a poll...

is your ps2 BROKEN or does it actually work?

or has it BEEN broken?

escobert
03-10-2004, 03:15 AM
mine works it's just that my dad stole it from me. He's been playing medal of honor all day.

Lamia
03-10-2004, 03:16 AM
I wish mine would :( ..
I guess I need to replace the lense or something sometime..

Agent Proto
03-10-2004, 03:49 AM
I still have mine, and it works fine. <3

RSL
03-10-2004, 04:08 AM
My first one ended up getting the disc read error that is so common.

My second one has worked for a year and a half error free *crosses fingers*

Off to general gaming.

Shoyku
03-10-2004, 04:10 AM
My first one broke down to the dreaded DRE, and I've had my newest one for a bit over a year now with no bad signs.

nevermind6794
03-10-2004, 04:22 AM
My PSX (old-school big one) got messed up recently. The little black thing that holds the disc broke, and I taped/glued it back on (I fixed it multiple times), but eventually it just stopped reading the FFIX disc 4.

Does that count?

Del Murder
03-10-2004, 05:47 AM
Mine works!

Mo-Nercy
03-10-2004, 06:58 AM
I look after my PS2. When it's sick, I make it some herbal tea and at night, I read it a bedtime story and make sure it's all tucked in comfortably.

I named him Bob.

Del Murder
03-10-2004, 07:28 AM
Mine's name is Connie.

Rainecloud
03-10-2004, 07:35 AM
I've had mine for a few years now, and she seems to be working perfectly.

I keep her in good condition, see.

Jack
03-10-2004, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by RSL
My first one ended up getting the disc read error that is so common.

I have yet to relace mine, evern though I can't play ANY Blue disk and GTA: Vice City has given up the ghost on me. DVD Videos are hard to get working as well...but alas, i can't give up on my old Timmy. He's a darlang machine :D

My mate gives sum advice : choose Xbox.

I would, but it's green. Green is sooooo 1999......
:D

SpiritWolf
03-10-2004, 03:11 PM
My PS2 still works. I've had it for about a year and 3 months and I haven't had any trouble yet.

m4tt
03-10-2004, 03:31 PM
My first one fell off it's shelf and the disc drive broke. My second one works fine, if not better.

Breine
03-10-2004, 04:05 PM
There's nothing wrong with my PlayStation. But almost all my friends PS2s have been broken at least once. My best friend, for example, broke her own PS2 by tossing Coca-cola in it.. :D

Maxico
03-10-2004, 04:34 PM
works like this

PS2 = casual gamer = tosses console around

Yrkoon
03-11-2004, 05:55 AM
my ps2 started giving me disc read errors and i was lucky if i got a game to load up after 2 hours of dre's

the next day i opened it up and cleaned the lens with lense cleaner fluid on a cotton bud now it is working perfect again :)

Segunn
03-11-2004, 05:30 PM
My PS2 is fine, it works great no problems at all. The only problem is the Dual Shock Controller, i have the tendency to absoluteley smash it to pieces when i am frustrated with a game. Thats now my PS1 and PS2 controllers i broke now. so i now got to spend another £20 on a new one and perhaps buy FFX-2 which i have been wanting for a few weeks now.

Project G
03-26-2004, 01:51 PM
Thats the problem, Hideo Kojima said himself in a conference that Playstations (including Ps2 and Ps1) are cheaply made so they break easily

Mr_Bojangless
03-27-2004, 02:50 PM
My PS2 died a slow, agonizing death. First it started rarely playing PS1 games. They would work occasionally, and I stress occasionally. Then it stopped playing PS1 games all together. After that, the same thing happened with DVD's. Well, after that, you guessed it, same thing happened with PS2 games. I plan on calling Sony soon.

Edit:

the next day i opened it up and cleaned the lens with lense cleaner fluid on a cotton bud now it is working perfect again

I just did this and my PS2 works fine now. It plays all the DVD's that is used to never play at all.

Casey
03-28-2004, 06:42 PM
is your ps2 BROKEN or does it actually work? Yes it is broken, but not really I just dont use it that much anymore. Use it as a DVD player!

or has it BEEN broken? Never.

Project G
03-29-2004, 12:36 PM
You should clean the air vents (Front, above front vent and the back vents) with a hoover every month.

The One Winged Angel
03-30-2004, 06:45 PM
I had my first for like 3 years and it started to damage my games, so i had it replaced and Sony resurfaced my games free of charge. My new one, I've had for abotu a year, is starting to go a bit, but it's not bad at all, getting the odd DRE though

Kirobaito
03-30-2004, 10:59 PM
Mine has been broken twice. Actually, the lens probably needs to be cleaned, but I'm too scared to open up the thing. So I send it to Sony, and they clean it for me. :) For free. They have it right now, so I have to wait another 2-3 weeks before I get it back.

Dignified Pauper
03-31-2004, 05:06 PM
My PS2 has always worked. Maybe you guys just don't take care of your stuff :P... j/k. Actually, if any of you set your PS2 on carpet, it's not so good. But i don't know for sure, i always heard that though. Maybe you guys put your PS2's next to a speaker with a powerful magnet.

Sugpo
04-01-2004, 09:45 PM
Mine broke a while ago because some fat chick who was over at my house tripped over my phone cord and fell on it

repo man
04-01-2004, 11:21 PM
i'd fix it but you couldn't afford it.

Sephex
04-01-2004, 11:45 PM
Mine works. The only problem it has is that it refuses to play some DVDs.

Mr_Bojangless
04-02-2004, 03:03 AM
Mine works. The only problem it has is that it refuses to play some DVDs.

It's gonna progressively get worse. Thats exactly how mine started out. I recommend opening it and cleaning the lense.

Sephex
04-02-2004, 05:19 AM
Originally posted by Mr_Bojangless
It's gonna progressively get worse. Thats exactly how mine started out. I recommend opening it and cleaning the lense.

No it's not, seeing how it's been that way since day one. It's fine, don't worry.

BatChao
04-04-2004, 12:50 AM
Mine works fine most of the time. For the blue back games, I get the DRE sometimes, but if I stand the system up on the side, it works again. Dunno why, but I don't really care as long as it works. :D

DMKA
04-04-2004, 08:55 AM
Thats the problem, Hideo Kojima said himself in a conference that Playstations (including Ps2 and Ps1) are cheaply made so they break easily
Well, I can tell you from what I have wittnessed, that thats a croc of bulls**t. I have an old retangular grey PSX, and its from 1997. Its been dropped down a flight of stairs twice, dropped from a second story balcony, in the rain, and landed on solid cement. Its also been dragged outside in the rain by a dog, through mud and left in a puddle of water, on top of having various things spilled on it, and being knocked down by the controller cord being pulled countless times. On top of this, for years it was played nearly non-stop by 4 individuals, me included. Now somehow, I've ended up keeping it, and it still works like the day it was bought.

Not sure where all you people are getting these 'easily breaking' Playstations from, but I'd be turning in the conmen selling them to you.

And my friend has had his PS2 since a month after it was released in the US and his works perfectly, like mine.:D