PDA

View Full Version : I can see the music

Lindy
03-10-2004, 10:15 PM
I can see all the notes, and the colours and the shapes and everything, it's so beautiful when it's classical music, and just violent and red when it's angry rock.

Can you see music? Or can you see sounds and other things that other people don't seem to be able to see?

Memorandum : Not just about music, about anything, so in General Chat it should stay, not to the Lounge.

P.S. I'm not on drugs, only once, and that was in public in the middle of London.

Fuzakeru
03-10-2004, 10:19 PM
I'm in band and we have lessons about 'seeing' the music we create. I'm also in an AP College Art class and we focus on muisc creating the 'mood' to inspire us to 'see' our work for what it is.

Shlup
03-10-2004, 10:39 PM
I don't doubt you're not crazy; I've heard of these sorts of things plenty of times. I'm very sensitive to colors, but not to music. My mom's best friend can feel music though. Different pitches hit different parts of her body. Its weird.

Lindy
03-10-2004, 10:42 PM
Music and sound matters more than vision though, since I have perfect rhythmn so I can match my movements and actions to music, which makes things odd when I'm walking and listening to a song with an alternating or odd rhytmn.

But when you can match it, and see it and feel it, and just reach out and hold the notes in your hands until they fade.

People are missing out on wonderful things, take drugs if you have to, just to experience it.

Yamaneko
03-10-2004, 10:45 PM
I don't do drugs. :)

Fuzakeru
03-10-2004, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by Yamaneko
I don't do drugs. :)
Liar. :rolleyes2

Lindy
03-10-2004, 10:48 PM
Pssh, you don't need drugs, just a very open mind.

Drugs can help though, I suppose, if you're not crazy, hah.

Del Murder
03-10-2004, 10:52 PM
I can hear electricity.

Lindy
03-10-2004, 10:54 PM
And you can tell when the TV is on elsewhere in the house, I remember that from the topic aeons ago about psychic powers or some such.

Funny that.

Del Murder
03-10-2004, 11:00 PM
Yes. Damn, good memory. There are currently no TVs on, by the way.

Yamaneko
03-10-2004, 11:07 PM
Is my computer on?

Del Murder
03-10-2004, 11:15 PM
No.

crono_logical
03-10-2004, 11:16 PM
I can tell with TVs and CRT monitors, but I can't with LCD screens - maybe it's the electron gun which is what I'm hearing :p

Logan
03-11-2004, 02:04 AM
I don't see/hear/feel anything cool like that.

Montoya
03-11-2004, 02:32 AM
Originally posted by Winged Sorceress
I don't see/hear/feel anything cool like that.

Todie
03-11-2004, 03:12 AM
Originally posted by Lindz
Music and sound matters more than vision though, since I have perfect rhythmn so I can match my movements and actions to music, which makes things odd when I'm walking and listening to a song with an alternating or odd rhytmn.
I do that. Everywhere I go, there's music in my head. It can be rather annoying at times when I'm trying to get something done.
I listen for pitches in lights and when a fork drops and so on. I know I'm dorky like that.

fire_of_avalon
03-11-2004, 03:26 AM
I can "hear" electricity too. And I'm not sure I really understand this thread, so I don't think I can do what y'all can do. I dream things that happen sometimes though, but only stupid things like watching people fold clothes.

Ultimate_Sandwich
03-11-2004, 04:36 AM
What you're talking about, Lindz, is called synesthesia.
<a href=http://web.mit.edu/synesthesia/www/synesthesia.html>Go here.</a>

You seem to experience it more vividly than some. I can imagine images and colours to accompany music, but not to the point where I can picture it clearly. Sometimes I'll smell something and it triggers a memory, though.

Anyway, don't do drugs. Unless it's marijuana. Is that really a drug, now, come on?

*Dylan

EternalBahamut
03-11-2004, 07:26 AM
It is the coolest when you are in the middle of a song and everyone in the band hits all the notes and alll the right tempos and you get chills up and down your bad, but no I never really saw music.

Nait
03-11-2004, 07:36 AM
I'd really want to sense something like synesthesia once.

Lindy
03-11-2004, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by Ultimate_Sandwich
What you're talking about, Lindz, is called synesthesia.
<a href=http://web.mit.edu/synesthesia/www/synesthesia.html>Go here.</a>

You seem to experience it more vividly than some. I can imagine images and colours to accompany music, but not to the point where I can picture it clearly. Sometimes I'll smell something and it triggers a memory, though.

Anyway, don't do drugs. Unless it's marijuana. Is that really a drug, now, come on?

*Dylan

Rawrish indeed, I suffer from a condition now, and I thought it was just insanity.

Also, the reason that smells trigger memories is because the memory cells linked to scent live for a pretty long time, a few years I think, even if it was linked to something only really kept in the short term memory.

There was a big study on it a while back, interesting really.

<a href="http://psyche.csse.monash.edu.au/v2/psyche-2-10-cytowic.html">http://psyche.csse.monash.edu.au/v2/psyche-2-10-cytowic.html</a>
memory is superior while math and spatial navigation suffer.

Well that makes sense, as shown by remembering something that Murder posted over a year ago, and my general inability to add up simple numbers, boo.

<a href="http://psyche.csse.monash.edu.au/v2/psyche-2-10-cytowic.html">http://psyche.csse.monash.edu.au/v2/psyche-2-10-cytowic.html</a>
2.8 Not only do most synesthetes contend that their memories are excellent, but cite their parallel sensations as the cause, saying for example, "I know it's 2 because it's white." Conversation, prose passages, movie dialogue, and verbal instructions are typical subjects of detailed recall. The spatial location of objects is also strikingly remembered, such as the precise location of kitchen utensils, furniture arrangements and floor plans, books on shelves, or text blocks in a specific book. Perhaps related to this observation is a tendency to prefer order, neatness, symmetry, and balance. Work cannot commence until the desk is arranged just so, or everything in the kitchen is put away in its proper place. Synesthetes perform in the superior range of the Wechsler Memory Scale.

Well yes, after reading that article, it seems to make sense, I always have to order things perfectly, though I used to think it was something to do with Obsessive Compulsive tendencies, or some such.

ShiggtyLuffLuff
03-11-2004, 10:20 AM
if im not mistakin isnt your ears suppose to have something to do with music and not your eyes?...or do i just not know what im talkin about like usual?

Todie
03-11-2004, 04:18 PM
Some people are real big into seeing the music as well as feeling it. I really don't see it, but I feel it all the time. But we all have an internal sense of rhythm, whether or not we think we do. Some people are just better than others. Why do you think you attention catches a nifty rhythm or riff in a tune? There's rhythm and music in everything. May not be our system of pitches, but it's there. Well, I guess I got off topic........back to "seeing" music. I think it differs. I have trouble trying to put color with music. I try to put actual events with it or think of giving it a certain character.

Peegee
03-11-2004, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by Guu
I can tell with TVs and CRT monitors, but I can't with LCD screens - maybe it's the electron gun which is what I'm hearing :p

Why is that? I can 'sense' when a TV is on as well *confused*

eestlinc
03-11-2004, 06:33 PM
I believe LSD does this. So if you can do this without taking a substance that causes long term psychosis, good for you.

Meow
03-11-2004, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by Lindz
P.S. I'm not on drugs, only once, and that was in public in the middle of London.

Heh. Despite that i never have any intention of taking drugs, that movie-romanticized image of transcendent, awed drug abuse kicks in and i can't help but think that wandering around London under the influence of mind-bending substances would just be crazy-cool.

i can't think of any time i've had any synesthetic experiences. Sure, my computer monitor and the halogen lights in my dorm hum like crazy, but that's just an effect of running electricity through their components.

Woo?

<b>EDIT:</b>

Originally posted by eestlinc
I believe LSD does this. So if you can do this without taking a substance that causes long term psychosis, good for you.

That's interesting. Perhaps synesthesia stems from the presence or overabundance of a similar chemical in the brain. Or maybe even the same one.

eestlinc
03-11-2004, 08:25 PM
yea, I believe the chemical in LSD causes the various sense nerves to cross each other, causing you to taste sound and hear colors, for example.

Drizzt
03-11-2004, 08:39 PM
I can let the words unfold the right way, if I am committed to that .

I can see sky blue eyes.

Fish by the ocean, sand by the shore, stars in the sky, grass in the fields. I can smell your shampoo and if it's the same as mine, i can identify it as so. I can not play guitar well ... though i did try, i can dream when i sleep (sometimes).
They are either very pleasant dreams, or horrible unforgettable nightmares.

I can get stoned with coffee's caffeine, i can breath, i can't sing.

Oh Well ... and so on, and so on.

Lindy
03-12-2004, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Blanco Meow
Heh. Despite that i never have any intention of taking drugs, that movie-romanticized image of transcendent, awed drug abuse kicks in and i can't help but think that wandering around London under the influence of mind-bending substances would just be crazy-cool.

It was around the houses of parliment and number 10 downing street too, the biggest police presence in England, good job on my part.

Also, as it's said in that article, synesthesitics are suffer more from other kinds of hallucinations, so maybe it's so great since I do have other, less wonderful hallucinations.

I still enjoy it anyway, and if they ever manage to find some way to causing it without any side-effects, then try it, please.

Kirkpatrick
03-13-2004, 02:41 AM
Originally posted by Guu

Hey, I can do that with TVs, but I'm not sure about Monitors...I shall have to try! I didn't know other people could do that, I'm not (quite) so alone anymore!

Tokki Wartooth
03-13-2004, 02:49 AM
I can hear music! That must count for something.

Leeza
03-13-2004, 03:19 AM
I think that it depends on what music that you're listening to. If I listen to Country or Hip Hop I can see red, or at least feel red...I don't actually see it. Heavy metal might sound like it should be red, but it feels good to me so it doesn't appear like red.

Niale
12-26-2013, 10:48 PM
Yeah, its a nice classical gesture. Its still on Xbox 360 for example, which works to listen to yours instead of the game's sound track, it works.

Shorty
12-26-2013, 10:53 PM
Please do not revive threads that are more than a month or so old. You are welcome to make a current thread with the same topic.