PDA

View Full Version : Somthing i have to say about Anime!

Shadow
03-11-2004, 02:01 AM
http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.com/anime_nerd.html
First go to this site and read this. I belive everything he says about anime there.
Second just like the link said. QUIT CALLING IT ANIME ITS A DAMN CARTOON. Second its boring and stupid. Third i dont like it. With all that out plz quit calling it anime and from now on punch everyone that says it.!
:)

Bahamut2000X
03-11-2004, 02:27 AM
I have to disagree entirely.

QUIT CALLING IT ANIME ITS A DAMN CARTOON

It's called anime as it's a different style of cartoons. Firstly they have a on going plot in most cases as well as themes and deeper meanings then cartoons elsewhere. There's different styles of movies right? I mean you would consider all the movies with Chuckie the misunderstood physopathic murdering childs toy a horror movie correct? Whilst you call a movie such as, "The Core", a action movie. While "Black Sheep" is called a comedy. Anime is the same way, it's just a different style of a something larger and vague and is more defined then just 'cartoon'. That's why it's called a cratoon.

Second its boring and stupid.

Have you even watched a episode of a anime for the full 23 minutes it's on? And I'm talking about a real good anime series like Evangelion or Full Metal Panic.

Third i dont like it.

You can't really just say, you don't like it. I mean it's a broad genre, not all animes are the same, there's some I hate in it, and some I love. To say you hate the whole genre is just sort of stupid itself, it's like saying "I hate all comedy movies" with only watching one or two and thus assuming their all identical.

Just my opinions on this though. And in no way was this meant to be insulting to you, I just wanted to defend one of the thigns I like quite a bit, and make you see a bit of reason before disregarding the entire genre as "stupid" and "boring" so quickly.

SomethingBig
03-11-2004, 03:35 AM
Seriously, you can't judge anime unless you've actually seen it. This is probably the only thing that I've ever disagreed with Maddox on.

black orb
03-11-2004, 04:13 AM
>>> Haha, funny.. :laugh:
the article isnt bashing anime, is just making fun of the Otakus..
by the way, i like anime..

TheAbominatrix
03-11-2004, 04:31 AM
We certainly shouldnt call anything by the name it's ceators give it. Instead, we should only use words we're familiar with.

Wait... that doesnt make any sense!

DocFrance
03-11-2004, 04:48 AM
I think it's funny seeing people who get all uppity about something Maddox writes when it doesn't coincide with their opinions. I think people take what he says too seriously, and if they don't like it they take it as an affront to their beliefs and character. I think it's better to just laugh at his articles, because it's always a god thing to be able to laugh at ourselves, is it not?

B2kX, I'm betting you're a number one, aren't you?

Tokki Wartooth
03-11-2004, 04:50 AM
Originally posted by Shadow
http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.com/anime_nerd.html
First go to this site and read this. I belive everything he says about anime there.
Second just like the link said. QUIT CALLING IT ANIME ITS A DAMN CARTOON. Second its boring and stupid. Third i dont like it. With all that out plz quit calling it anime and from now on punch everyone that says it.!
:)
My god. You're my hero. Seriously.

Bulldog
03-11-2004, 06:35 AM
Shouldn't make a difference wether I say cartoon, Zeichentrick, tegnefilm, phim hoạt họa, アニメ etc...etc....

Nói đi nói lại một điệu như nhau.

Lindy
03-11-2004, 09:46 AM
Read it, agreed with it, realised I know people like that and proceeded to write up a death list.

Anime is overrated and certainly not special.

Oh my, because it's Japanese it HAS to be good because of their mysterious, insular, only-have-a-recent-history, ex-chinese way.

TheAbominatrix
03-11-2004, 10:08 AM
We should always be disgusted with people who enjoy things, and lump them all into the same group as the extremists.

ShiggtyLuffLuff
03-11-2004, 10:32 AM
despite others opinions i love anime myself..and concerning nerds and their habits..wow that link hit it right on the money! though and im uber happy about this fact..i have yet to see a nerd dude with a decent rack *barfs at idea*

Mo-Nercy
03-11-2004, 11:16 AM
No way am I gonna dismiss my favourite anime series as just cartoons.

I don't know about you guys but I can see a distinct difference between Evangelion and Rocko's Modern Life.

*goes to watch yet another captivating episode of Hellsing*

Bahamut2000X
03-11-2004, 11:50 AM
because it's Japanese it HAS to be good

I don't like it cause it's Japanese, most people don't they like it because it's interesting and very entertaining. If your gonna argue we like it only cause it's Japanese, guess we only eat chinease food cause it's chinease, not cause it tastes good. Guess only reason any of us play Final Fantasy is cause it's Japanese. In case you couldn't tell those last few sentences were being sarcastic.

gokufusionss1
03-11-2004, 01:36 PM
i haven't checked this site in a while it seems madox has some new bile HURAH!

Drizzt
03-11-2004, 03:40 PM
LOL Both the link as the comments following it were sad.

I must confess, I didn't have the patience to read the comments to the very end, for they were boring as hell.

I mean, you say that anime is boring and so on, but you have both the time and patience to read that guy's comments until the end?
It makes me wonder what you find entertaining.

I don't give a damn about baized Anime freaks, who love jap culture ... because they believe that anime = Japan.
Actually I find the movie Lost In Translation, a good description of life in Jap (at least in tokyo), ...

But nor do I have the time or patience to listen to such people, who waste their time writing completely futile texts, about one sort of people who enjoy anime.

It just makes me feel that either that guy was at one time, someone as the people he is criticizing, or that he is simply an emotional narcissist, too assured of the veracity and value of his thoughts.

When I was younger I enjoyed Dragon Ball . :P
And I find this, a good enough reason to justify the existence of anime. And of course you can't deny the beauty of Evangelion.
Those are two old animes ... I don't enjoy them as much nowadays.

But at least I have the maturity to see that, at one point i loved the film Aladin by Disney, as well as those two animes ... Therefore, I depreciate comments such as the ones in your link.
But liking an animated motion picture has nothing to do with age. It's the same thing playing computer games ... you like it or you don't, for as long as you do.

Maybe I'll see Aladin again, ... one of these days.

Raistlin
03-11-2004, 04:20 PM
I don't particularly like anime. I've watched some, liked some, but, for the most part, I don't like it.

However, I'm not going to bitch about it. Some people like it. SO ****ING WHAT? Just because they like anime doesn't mean that they think they're Japanese. Way to group everyone who likes a particular genre into one stereotypical group, that's actually in the minority.

Oh, also, I like how a lot of the people who bitch about anime being just "cartoons" go home and watch the Simpsons. I actually know someone like that.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, in that update, Maddox actually sent he went to <i>see</i> an anime movie. Which most likely means he's not against anime, just people pretending they're Japanese, eh? Or does that make too much sense?

eestlinc
03-11-2004, 05:34 PM
the real subject of this thread should be that Maddox is dumb.

Shadow
03-11-2004, 06:39 PM
First off anyone who thinks maddox is dumb or doenst like him, should be punched in the stomach. Second people who think anime isnt a cartoon should be punched in the stomach. So i guess if you agree with anything i say or maddox says then you should be punched in the stomach.:greenie:

And thank you Lends

eestlinc
03-11-2004, 06:41 PM
so everyone gets punched in the stomach? good, I'll start!

*stomachpunch*

Agent Proto
03-11-2004, 08:12 PM
yes, in a way, I would consider anime cartoon, but it's not your typical American-style cartoon. Animé is very different from most American cartoons. Some are similar, but it's really different. Different styles, different plots, and diffrent ideas.

Most american cartoons are aimed a children and young teens, and most anime are aimed at teens and young adults.

Nait
03-11-2004, 08:39 PM
Not all Japanese cartoons are good, but all good cartoons are Japanese. Or almost. :D

SomethingBig
03-11-2004, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by Lindz
Oh my, because it's Japanese it HAS to be good because of their mysterious, insular, only-have-a-recent-history, ex-chinese way.
I don't think us anime otakus like anime just because it's from Japan. Unlike most cartoons, anime has an ongoing plot, and, if it's a good one, the plot'll be deep. It's called anime for a reason. It's Japanese animation; thus, anime.

Peegee
03-12-2004, 12:06 AM
There are people out there that don't like cartoons period. Stop defending it as if you were called stupid for watching it. "Anime" is a cartoon. It's "animated" "pictures", which to me defines it as a cartoon.

Blah blah who cares?

TheAbominatrix
03-12-2004, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by Shadow
First off anyone who thinks maddox is dumb or doenst like him, should be punched in the stomach. Second people who think anime isnt a cartoon should be punched in the stomach. So i guess if you agree with anything i say or maddox says then you should be punched in the stomach.:greenie:

And thank you Lends

Wow, good way to prove you're intellegent. Violence is awesome!

Shadow
03-12-2004, 02:06 AM
damn right it is:cool:

The Man
03-12-2004, 02:38 AM
Good thing Ashley wasn't being sarcastic in any way in that post.

eternalshiva
03-12-2004, 03:14 AM
Originally posted by Agent Proto
yes, in a way, I would consider anime cartoon, but it's not your typical American-style cartoon. Animé is very different from most American cartoons. Some are similar, but it's really different. Different styles, different plots, and diffrent ideas.

Most american cartoons are aimed a children and young teens, and most anime are aimed at teens and young adults.

*nods*

Most 'anime' are edited by the time they get to the western countries anyways. I'm a huge anime freak and cartoon freak. I noticed a difference between the two. the anime I watch is aimed more towars young adults than children, not Pokemon or some crap like Digimon. I like Full Metal Alchemist, Inuyasha, X-1999, Angel Sanctuary and so on.

Anime tackles more 'serious' issues than some cartoons I've watched. There's lots of fluff and angst and I love it. I'm a huge Otaku, an anime-geek, if I was mildly insane I would do the whole cosplay thing when there were anime conventions but that would require me to be creative and get off my arse and do stuff.

I actually download the new episodes of Inuyasha fansubs cause I like the sound of the Japanese voices better than the english ones. I read the mangas that accompany the anime. Most anime in Japan are based off the graphic novels anyways, so its cool to see how the versions split up sometimes.

If people make a big deal out of it, then thay make a big deal out of it. I'm always up for new anime/manga to look up and enjoy. Manga is just like Marvel comic books, except it's 50 times longer and it follows a plot. xD I have scanlations of Inuyasha and Angel Sanctuary, over 20 graphic novesl, each 200 pages per novel. they only cost like 6 bucks and I find it more satisfying than 'comics'. There's not really a difference, its just a name for a type of cartoon from a different country.

I like the anime I watch cause it caught my attention and has managed to keep me entertained. Simple as that.
*oh well*

Montoya
03-12-2004, 03:35 AM
I don't necessarily enjoy anime. But that does not mean I am going to call it stupid. Although in my opinion, sometimes it seems that people do watch anime just becasue it is anime or Japanese. And would have a higher regard for it even if it was crap. But this is just how it is here, I know some people like it becasue it is entertaining, to them.

Drizzt
03-12-2004, 07:15 AM
Not all Japanese cartoons are good, but all good cartoons are Japanese. Or almost.
Tom And Jerry is ok.

edczxcvbnm
03-12-2004, 03:18 PM
Preach on Maddox. The hate will never die.

Raistlin
03-12-2004, 03:55 PM
*shakes head*

I'd like to point out(like I did in my last posts, which everybody ignored), that even if you agree 100% with that article by Maddox, he <i>NEVER ONCE IN THAT WHOLE DAMN THING EVER MOCKED ANIME.</i>

In fact, he said he was going to go WATCH an anime movie, which, if anything, shows that he likes it. That article was about fat slobs who wanted to be Japanese.

Fuzakeru
03-12-2004, 04:58 PM
I choose . . . j00 . . . Pikachu?? :(

The Man
03-12-2004, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by Raistlin
*shakes head*

I'd like to point out(like I did in my last posts, which everybody ignored)We like ignoring you, WesLY.