PDA

View Full Version : Graphics card problems

o_O
03-11-2004, 05:06 AM
Recently I switched an old Compaq hard drive over to an old Gateway computer, just to see what would happen. :o

The problem is, the graphics drivers are Aureal 3D drivers, and only compatible with Compaq hardware. The computer is now processing graphics on a Standard PCI VGA driver. Now, I know this is bad and I would download new drivers if only I knew:
<li>If it is possible.</li>
<li>what drivers to get.</li>
<li>What graphics card it has.</li>

The chipset is Parallel Image, but there's no model number/indentification means.

Does anyone have any idea how to remedy this?

<3

Yrkoon
03-11-2004, 05:33 AM
to find out more about the card go to start menu and click run then type in dxdiag that will bring a menu thing up with a lot of information about the hardware in the computer. just click the display tab on the new menu to see all u need about the card eg chip type make model etc :)

then just do a search for the card and get new drivers for it but remember to remove any old drivers from the system before you install the new ones.

you can do that in add/remove programs in control panel :)

o_O
03-11-2004, 05:59 AM
Ooh, that's a handy little utility. :p

But that's the thing, it's claiming the device is a "Standard PCI Graphics Adapter (VGA)" I don't want my display to run in VGA.......The manufacturer is "(Standard display types)" ;_; Chip type: "MONO" if that helps.

I'm running Windows 98 on that machine, and the monitor is a Gateway EV500.

Yrkoon
03-11-2004, 11:32 PM
i tried searching the net but had no luck at all and as far as i know aureal make sound cards.

such as aureal 3d drivers for 3d sound kinda like eax...

im at a loss sorry i couldnt help :(

only other thing i can think of is go to control panel add/remove hardware and remove the vga card from it then reboot and see if windows detects its proper make.

also keep pressing delete when ur computer is starting up before windows loads to access the bios maybe the bios will know some thing windows doesnt about the card doubtful but worth a try. :(

if u can give me more information eg the model of gateway and compaq computers i may be able to help.

btw vga=video graphics accelerator and even tho its showing as vga it may well be running at its best as windows will give it a driver.. :)

im also a bit confused about what u actually done and why?

Mournblade
03-12-2004, 01:07 AM
Aureal 3D is a type of sound card not a graphics card.

have u opend the case and looked on the card for the details ie serial number or the make?

Yrkoon
03-12-2004, 01:09 AM
umm u said u switched a different hard drive over and i assume u took ur other one that showed ur card fine out to put in the other drive..

put the original hard drive back in since u never had a problem with graphics card while having the first drive in.

run dxdiag while the first drive is in that should give u the proper info for that card then if u want u can switch back to the different hard drive... :)

o_O
03-12-2004, 08:24 AM
I thought Aureal made graphics cards as well?

Oh well nevertheless, that computer doesn't have them.

I've looked at the graphics card, and there is literally, nothing written on it, save for "Parallel Image" and the names of the components.

umm u said u switched a different hard drive over and i assume u took ur other one that showed ur card fine out to put in the other drive..

put the original hard drive back in since u never had a problem with graphics card while having the first drive in.

run dxdiag while the first drive is in that should give u the proper info for that card then if u want u can switch back to the different hard drive...

I know this will sound stupid, but I formatted the said drive and cloned my old one onto it. Basically, here's a rundown on what happened:
1. I took the drive from the Gateway, installed it in the Compaq.
2. I formatted the drive from the Gateway, and cloned the drive from the Compaq onto it.
3. I took the drive from the Compaq and put it in the Gateway; left the drive from the Gateway in the Compaq.
4. Gateway computer boots fine, while it installs the drivers for the "new" hardware, when I reboot after installing, it's using the VGA driver and basically is locked in 640x480 resolution and 16 colour depth.

I bet nobody understands that. :p

Whatever the case, thanks for your help. :) <3