PDA

View Full Version : Tory candidate advocates robot-human marriage

Citizen Bleys
03-12-2004, 02:34 PM
(Repost from Vesper, AO, FFD)

Originally posted here (http://hfxnews.ca/MainPage.aspx?PageType=FullStory&PartialStory=No&StoryID=11369)
HALIFAX – A man who advocates polygamy and marriage with robots wants to be the Conservative MP for Dartmouth-Cole Harbour.
David Boyd, who has run unsuccessfully in provincial and municipal elections, will vie for the Tory nod at an April 3 nomination meeting. In a letter last August to The Daily News, Boyd said revisions to marriage laws are long overdue.

“We must allow for same-sex marriages, multiple-people marriages and android-human marriages,” he said.

Quizzed yesterday about his unusual views, Boyd said he’s hoping they might work in his favour.

“I think it could win me more votes,” he said.

“Most conservatives say that we should stay with the traditional form of marriage, but I’m a modern conservative and I feel that times have changed.”

Anything’s possible in the future, Boyd said in a telephone interview from the Copper Penny tavern in Clayton Park.

“Maybe down the road they will have androids, and I think that we should give them just as much rights as humans,” he said.

Boyd, 31, admits he’s a big fan of Star Trek’s blond Borg bombshell Seven of Nine.

“Data was my second favourite,” said the computer technician.

For the record, Boyd is married, but not to a robot.

“My wife and I have separated,” he said.

Boyd said he has no plans “in the near future” to marry an android.

“Maybe in 10 to 15 years, who knows?” he said.

Boyd’s candidacy was approved by the Conservative Party of Canada’s interim council, said Jim Cormier, chairman of the local Tory candidate selection committee.

“They’ve given the OK to Mr. Boyd,” Cormier said.

Last month, Conservative party bosses blocked the candidacy of a former Buchanan-era MLA who was attempting to make a comeback after an expense scandal ended his political career 20 years ago.

Malcolm MacKay, 60, said the federal party’s interim council rejected his candidacy after The Daily News ran a story that made reference to his improperly claiming $34,000 in expenses for out-of-town travel when he represented Sackville between 1981 and 1984.

No other Tories have declared yet in Dartmouth-Cole Harbour, but Cormier said Boyd will not be the only candidate vying for the party’s nomination.

“There will be a race,” he said. “Everything’s ready to go for another candidate, including the approval from Ottawa.”

Liberal party president Mike Savage will be the Grit candidate in the riding and United Church minister Susan MacAlpine-Gillis will run for the New Democratic Party.

clambie@hfxnews.ca

This guy's running for my Party, in a riding very near the place I call home :P

Logan
03-12-2004, 02:49 PM
I want to marry a robot. Why haven't I heard of this guy before now?

Citizen Bleys
03-12-2004, 02:59 PM
Because he's an eastern-Canadian politician?

Nait
03-12-2004, 03:19 PM
A man with a vision.

eternalshiva
03-12-2004, 03:20 PM
You have got to be kidding me xD A robot? No wonder he hasn;t been interviewed seriously lol. Are you going to 'support' him in the federal election? even if you are in our small and humble province of New Brunswick? Can't vote for him I guess cause he's in Nova Scotia but still xD

I work in the news business and I haven't heard that theory from him xD that's hilarious. But his ideas for same sex marriage are good I guess ;p lol

EDIT: omg I can't stop laughing, he's so goofy looking xD *dies of laughter*

Linus
03-12-2004, 04:34 PM
This episode was on Futurama last night.

Meow
03-12-2004, 05:26 PM
At first i thought this was some sarcastic article on the current political tension over gay marriage. But unless we're dealing with a hoax (Hunting Bambi, anyone?), this thing seems serious.

And all i can say is ><

Flying Mullet
03-12-2004, 05:35 PM
So Bleys' real name is David Boyd and he wants to marry a robot. Hmm...

Peegee
03-12-2004, 06:35 PM
This is just stupid. This guy calls himself a Communist? Pah...

No really, this is just dumb. I demand we lock up dumb people.

Citizen Bleys
03-12-2004, 06:52 PM
It's completely serious, and I would support him if there was some way I could. I happen to agree with him. Secular conservatism doesn't have to be based upon religious fanaticism. My religion leads me to support the right of any feeling being to wed whomever or whatever it chooses.

The robot issue is a moot point, since there are no emotion-capable machines presently in existence, but they key here is that being a conservative doesn't automatically mean opposition to gay marriage.

Conservative Party leadership Tony Clement promises that Party members will have free votes on issues of conscience, such as gay marriage and the legalization of marijurana. Clement, as a conservative, opposes both, and I, as a conservative, support the former.

Religion has no place in secular government.

eternalshiva
03-12-2004, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by Citizen Bleys
It's completely serious, and I would support him if there was some way I could. I happen to agree with him. Secular conservatism doesn't have to be based upon religious fanaticism. My religion leads me to support the right of any feeling being to wed whomever or whatever it chooses.

The robot issue is a moot point, since there are no emotion-capable machines presently in existence, but they key here is that being a conservative doesn't automatically mean opposition to gay marriage.

Conservative Party leadership Tony Clement promises that Party members will have free votes on issues of conscience, such as gay marriage and the legalization of marijurana. Clement, as a conservative, opposes both, and I, as a conservative, support the former.

Religion has no place in secular government.

I agree with that completely. But he's still goofy looking. Clement makes me nervous, not in a good sense either. I'll have to look him up some more then. He makes interesting points. The robot thing though still makes me laugh ;p his points on marriage are a positive for me and also I praise you and agree with you that religion has no business rearing its ugly head in politics. *nods*

Citizen Bleys
03-12-2004, 07:48 PM
Clement's not so bad. Not as good as Stronach, but not as bad as Harper.

I will throw up my hands in disgust if Harper wins. With Harper at the helm, the new Conservative party really will be nothing more than an absorption of the PC Party by the Alliance, and I still have hope that just this once, Joe Clark will be completely, glaringly wrong about something.

Shlup
03-12-2004, 08:22 PM
I'd marry an android if he had interchangable parts.

Meat Puppet
03-12-2004, 08:24 PM
This is just like dragonballz.

Flying Mullet
03-12-2004, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by ShlupQuack
I'd marry an android if he had interchangable parts.
"He slices, he dices and he even does your laundry! Watch him cut through this tin can with ease, then cut a tomato right after. Wow, look at that cut! Then without any hesitation he changes the baby's diaper. Amazing, isn't he folks? Act now and well throw in this free whisk set and extra pair of overalls."

Erdrick Holmes
03-12-2004, 08:58 PM
Megaman, will you marry me?

Citizen Bleys
03-12-2004, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by Joel
Megaman, will you marry me?

There you go--gay marriage and human/robot marriage in one!

Tokki Wartooth
03-13-2004, 02:34 AM
Originally posted by Moo Moo the Ner Cow
This is just stupid. This guy calls himself a Communist? Pah...
I don't think he called himself a communist.

MecaKane
03-13-2004, 03:04 AM
I'm sure he meant conservative, instead of communist. They're very interchangeable, you know.

I'd vote for that. What if my body explodes and my brain goes it to a robot? :o

Peegee
03-13-2004, 04:18 AM
Yeah I was sort of joking :D

Tokki Wartooth
03-13-2004, 04:34 AM
Sort of, but not completely!

Jalbrean
03-13-2004, 05:10 AM
If this was advocating human - animal marriages, I'd be all for it, but robots? That's just silly.

Shlup
03-13-2004, 05:23 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Mimic
"He slices, he dices and he even does your laundry! Watch him cut through this tin can with ease, then cut a tomato right after. Wow, look at that cut! Then without any hesitation he changes the baby's diaper. Amazing, isn't he folks? Act now and well throw in this free whisk set and extra pair of overalls." Those weren't quite the parts that I was thinking of but okay. :}

Big D
03-13-2004, 05:30 AM
Uh... something tells me this is a spoof of some kind. I mean, seriously. Not even the most liberal of liberals would espouse such notions, so it's practically unbelieveable coming from a conservative.
The Monster Raving Loony Party, perhaps, but then they disbanded in the UK years ago due to lack of funds.