PDA

View Full Version : How cheap could you live?

Flying Mullet
03-12-2004, 05:16 PM
One of my english professors in high school once explained to us how we could live off of $200 a year if we wanted too (or maybe he didn't have any faith in us ;) ). Anyway, it involved sewing your own clothes, house-sitting and buying groceries on clearance right before they hit their sell-by date.

So how cheaply do you think you could live in a year and still live decently (i.e. not homeless and eating dog-food)? Be creative, how would you do it?

Mikztsu
03-12-2004, 05:21 PM
I can live VERY cheaply. And I live cheaply. I spare lots of money every month. Just buy pasta, chicken, instant noodles. I'm not sure how much I spend/month. My rent is 148€. It just depends how cheaply I WANT to live. If I would buy a huge packs of macaroni, I probably could live by using 20€/month.

And to get vitamins, buy big packs of vitamin pills.:)

PeTeRL90
03-12-2004, 05:43 PM
If I have enough money to buy some food, and live by a river to clean my clothes, I'd be fine with that.

DeBlayde
03-12-2004, 05:57 PM
If I had land to grow food on, I'd be able to live with very little. I don't know how to spin thread or yarn, so weaving my own fabric would be difficult. and I don't know how to tan, to making clothes outta animal skins is similarly out.

currently, I live on about $800 a month, but my rent is $640 of that.

I could probably live on $200 a month if I had a house that was paid for.

Peegee
03-12-2004, 06:31 PM
House-sitting is a great way to live.....

Yeah, food on clearance is cheap. You can get a fishy for about 2$. I don't think I can survive on 200$ a year though, ALTHOUGH it makes me want to go on welfare just to find out. The most expensive thing would be food, and as far as food is concerned, I think one of the cheapest things you can buy is cereal (or dog food).

Mikztsu
03-12-2004, 06:32 PM
Isn't dog food expensive? Cat food at least is very expensive here.

Flying Mullet
03-12-2004, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by Mikztsu
Isn't dog food expensive? Cat food at least is very expensive here.
Depends upon what you get. The canned moist and meaty stuff is, but you can get cheap dried food in giant bags.

Bernhard
03-12-2004, 07:06 PM
From time to time I live without spending a penny. It involves living in the great outdoors and growing my own food, and I like it a lot. :aim~:

Shlup
03-12-2004, 08:25 PM
I live very cheaply right now. My mom pays for all my needs. :o

Meat Puppet
03-12-2004, 08:29 PM
I live off creamed-corn. My internet connection is free and the computer is "borrowed".
My kitchen is my living room.
I need to use public toilets.
I wear the same clothes for weeks.
I buy lots and lots of booze.

Dingo Jellybean
03-12-2004, 08:50 PM
I'm sure that I can live off about $10000 a year, paying gas and utilities and such. I would just put the money in a money market account and let it grow a couple dollars every month.

Jack
03-13-2004, 10:25 AM
You can live for free in Prison.
In the UK, they have free food, Plasma TVs, Broadband access, a room to yourself with toilet and PC and phone. You also get Yoga lessons. You don't pay rent and you have a bath to yourself.

Hell, even I don't have that crap. Britain is so soft.

Heath
03-13-2004, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by ShlupQuack
I live very cheaply right now. My mom pays for all my needs. :o

Exactly. I even get paid by my parents for letting them pay for all of my stuff! xD

Del Murder
03-13-2004, 06:02 PM
I think I could live on nothing, because many people can and do. I think to be somewhat satisfied, though, I'd need a good $300 a month for rent and food and stuff.

Shadow
03-13-2004, 07:22 PM
one word
Ramen.
Could live off these for ever and cheap as hell

Logan
03-13-2004, 07:45 PM
A couple hundred a month, I'm sure.

Montoya
03-13-2004, 11:06 PM
Now, I get to live for free. And I get payed a monthly allowance. Mainly becasue I live at my parents house.:eep:

Thunday Man
03-14-2004, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by Legolas63
You can live for free in Prison.
In the UK, they have free food, Plasma TVs, Broadband access, a room to yourself with toilet and PC and phone. You also get Yoga lessons. You don't pay rent and you have a bath to yourself.

Hell, even I don't have that crap. Britain is so soft.

Hrmm. Well then, i plan to move to England, and assassinate the Queen.