PDA

View Full Version : How were/are your marks in school?

White Raven
03-12-2004, 07:25 PM
It'll only be a couple months more before my first year at Univeristy will be over. I think that I've been doing pretty good with a 70ish average. But in highschool I had around an 80 average, so I've seen a decrease in my performance.

So how did everyone else fair in highschool or if you're still there, how are you doing (In terms of Grades)? And what's your best subject and worst one (Acedemically speaking)?

My best has to be chemistry while my worst is anything that's math based.:rolleyes2

Loony BoB
03-12-2004, 07:38 PM
I was a jack of all trades - ranged between 50-80% in my final exams and most of my previous exams/tests were 70-100% for maths/science and 40-80% for English. I got 51% (or something) in English, which means I'm wrong almost half the time, but I'm still good enough to join the workforce, it seems.

crono_logical
03-12-2004, 07:40 PM
Don't worry, I decreased at uni too, I got lazy :p Maths and Physics was my best, but physics became my worst in my first year :p Good thing I don't do it anymore :p

Rye
03-12-2004, 08:09 PM
Science is my best, with an average last quarter of over 100 xD. Umm... My worst is definatly math. I'm horrible at it.

Flying Mullet
03-12-2004, 08:11 PM
I had okay marks in high school, usually in the B's and C's. I found the classes boring and pointless. But once I got into college and was taking classes that interested me (computer science and busniess mostly) I recieved nothing but A's with a few B's.

fire_of_avalon
03-12-2004, 08:14 PM
I read somewhere that the average American college student can expect a decrease of two letter grades between high school and college for their first year, and I guess that's about 10-15 points/percent. This had held pretty much true for me; A's in high school and C's/D's in college. It is of teh suck :(

Flying Mullet
03-12-2004, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by fire_of_avalon
I read somewhere that the average American college student can expect a decrease of two letter grades between high school and college for their first year, and I guess that's about 10-15 points/percent. This had held pretty much true for me; A's in high school and C's/D's in college. It is of teh suck :(
Same here, I was put on probation after my first semester of college, I flunked Calculus. It didn't help that the professor wouldn't help you outside of class. Then I took Calculus again next semester and, surprise, I got a B+ because the new professor would actually help with problems.

Meat Puppet
03-12-2004, 08:22 PM
Below average in everything except for Cooking and photography.

Shlup
03-12-2004, 08:24 PM
I was an honor student in elementary school and the first half of junior high, then went on to "graduate" high school two months late with a 1.6GPA. Now I have a 3.7GPA 'cause college doesn't piss me off as much.

m4tt
03-12-2004, 08:26 PM
My highschool GPA was over 3.0

My college GPA was under 1.0 :o

Xander
03-12-2004, 08:49 PM
I was pretty good at school cos I always worked hard and never did bad things, I was such a good girl! I was really good at French and English, not so good in Science but I got all A's and B's in my GCSEs. But after my third year at college/uni I'm becoming lazy, at last. xD

Dr Unne
03-12-2004, 08:52 PM
4.2 or something in HS since they counted As in honors classes as higher than 100% for whatever reason, 3.7 in college.

Del Murder
03-12-2004, 11:03 PM
HS 3.90, College 3.85. We didn't count extra for honors, though I took every honors class offered. By the way, it doesn't get you anywhere so don't count on it to.

Yamaneko
03-12-2004, 11:09 PM
My high school GPA was 3.61, counting AP classes.

Fuzakeru
03-12-2004, 11:12 PM
I pass - I'm happy.

Actually, I'm a senior in High School and most of my grades are higher and lower 90s except for Debate, Varsity Band, and Microsoft Office with are at 100.
I hate school.

LH
03-13-2004, 04:57 AM
My grades fluctuated from FNP (failure due to non-participation) to a full-on A+. English, Social Studies, and any art classes were interesting enough to hold my attention so that I'd actually work some of the time. Things like math, physics, chemistry, or anything involving numbers I would just barely pass because I wasn't in class half the time or I just wouldn't show up all year long.

If you look at my report cards they would go like: A+, D-, F, A, D-, A+, or something like that.

And why does everyone say "maths?" I've never heard of or seen the word "maths" anywhere outside of this site.

Dr Unne
03-13-2004, 05:01 AM
"Maths" is some crazy British word or something.

<i>By the way, it doesn't get you anywhere so don't count on it to.</i> --Del Murder

This is true.

Erdrick Holmes
03-13-2004, 05:05 AM
About As Bs and Cs.

I got As in Writing workshop and in Chior.

Big D
03-13-2004, 05:25 AM
At high school, I got As in most things, with the occasional B and one or two Cs over the years. In my first year of university, I got a couple of A plusses, and my lowest grades were two Bs. Last year, my second year of university, consisted of an A+ for German, B- for Land Law and Cs for Public Law and the Law of Torts.

Rainecloud
03-13-2004, 07:27 AM
Terrible at Maths, excellent at English, above average in everything else.

I could have done better, but I absolutely detested school.

Jack
03-13-2004, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by Xander
I was pretty good at school cos I always worked hard and never did bad things, I was such a good girl! I was really good at English, not so good in Science but I got all A's and B's in my GCSEs.

The same, except I'm also really good at Drama.
And I'm also Really bad at D&T
And I do lots of bad things
And I'm incredibly lazy and hardly work as hard as I could
And I'm a guy xD
And I haven't actually got my results yet, but thats what I'm predicted.

*knows he's gonna screw up*

Mo-Nercy
03-13-2004, 10:34 AM
Kinda hard to say by my school. Since my school is a Selective school where everyone is academically skilled, they grade by rank not mark. So even though you received 99% for a test...if everyone else in the class got 100%, you fail that subject. (<---- SLIGHT exaggeration)

I haven't gotton "High Distinction" since Year 7 Latin. I don't know how either. That's top 20% of the grade.

I get "Distinction" for German, Geography, English and anything History related. That's the next 25%

I get "Credit" for everything else, which is the next 20% of students.

Maths is too embarassing to say. Let's just say that I go tutoring for a reason.

Psychotic
03-13-2004, 10:42 AM
I get mainly Bs, with the odd A and the odd C thrown in here and there. (Oddly enough in my mocks I got A, A, C, C)

So yeah, I'm your smarter-than-the-average-bear guy. (As apparently the average grade here is a D or something)

Montoya
03-13-2004, 11:12 PM
I have actually gotten better in high school. My first two quarters have been A's and B's. But this quarter I'm in trouble. I might get an F in English.

Jewels
03-13-2004, 11:42 PM
Usually my grades are pretty average. I fail some and I pass most.

I just started a new school year so I can't really say which is my best and worst subject. However, from last years' grades, my best was Classics(which I'm not taking this year) and my worst was Economics, which I'm clearly not taking as well.

Chaos
03-13-2004, 11:58 PM
For my GCSE's I got one A*, Two B's and the rest A's...thats about 6 or something.

I haven't taken any AS-levels yet, but my predicted grades are:
Art - A
History - A/B
English Lit - B
PE - C/B

I suppose thats good enough, I'm dropping PE at the end of this year, I want to concentrate more on Art. Still, It would be nice to have all my grades up to an A standard by the exams. Thats....5 weeks. *spazz*

Chaos

Tokki Wartooth
03-14-2004, 02:05 AM
My average, as submitted to OUAC, is 85% and steadily falling. :) I'll be lucky if it's still above 80% by the end of this term.

My best subject is philosophy (93%) for some reason. But actually I think it was just my teacher. He liked me because I wore low shirts and short skirts to his class.

Enoki
03-14-2004, 02:11 AM
Through 3 and a half years in highschool i havent dropped below 3.7, but i might this semester. I cant stop falling asleep in Spainish II!

Miriel
03-14-2004, 06:57 AM
3.6 Unweighted, 3.8 Weighted so far in High School, but apparently that's not good enough :(

escobert
03-14-2004, 03:23 PM
I'm a B student pretty much. A senior in HS. I'm horrid at math and I plan on going into midievil studies in Uni. my classes right now are:
Advanced Human Anatomey & Phisiology
Teacher Aid in Modern European History
Vermont History
Astronomy

Evelia
03-14-2004, 04:58 PM
Eh. A's and B's. My GPA is like 3.7 or 3.8, and I'm in high school right now.

Kirobaito
03-19-2004, 08:10 PM
A's. I have a 4.79 GPA if you count Honors/AP classes as 5.0s. If you don't, 4.0.

Ultimate_Sandwich
03-20-2004, 05:13 AM
Originally posted by White Raven
It'll only be a couple months more before my first year at Univeristy will be over. I think that I've been doing pretty good with a 70ish average. But in highschool I had around an 80 average, so I've seen a decrease in my performance.

You just gave an exact description of my situation. Except I go to York. Cools, we're in the same city :whoa:

I do not blame the decrease in marks on a decrease in performance, though. I blame the bullshit university system and their startling inability to assign proper grades. Think about it: in high school you are marked by teachers. With TEACHING DEGREES. And they have no pass/fail quota to fill. In university, we are marked by some goddamn TA's, 3 years older than us, with NO TEACHING DEGREES. And they have to assign marks that conform to a standard. And we're paying for this crap. It's the biggest moneysucking scam out there, and pink bunny rabbits. (I was going to say "I want them all to die", but I was getting too pissed so I had to lighten the mood.) Yeah.

*Dylan

White Raven
03-20-2004, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by Ultimate_Sandwich I do not blame the decrease in marks on a decrease in performance, though. I blame the bullshit university system and their startling inability to assign proper grades. Think about it: in high school you are marked by teachers. With TEACHING DEGREES. And they have no pass/fail quota to fill. In university, we are marked by some goddamn TA's, 3 years older than us, with NO TEACHING DEGREES. And they have to assign marks that conform to a standard.

I wholeheartly agree with you...my stats TA sounds like she just learned this stuff last year...grrrr...at least the lecturers know what they're doing.

(And FYI, University of Toronto is far supperior than York =P)

Ultimate_Sandwich
03-20-2004, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by White Raven
(And FYI, University of Toronto is far supperior than York =P)

It must me supperior. They teech you how to spell so godd.

Oh, and I know what you mean by "superior". I have friends that go there. You mean increased workload and expenses. Count me out. I'm just chasing the graduation paper, and I'll flow like water through the easiest path to get there.

*Dylan

Garland
03-21-2004, 06:20 AM
My typical report card throughout both highschool and college was mostly B's, one or two C's and a single A. That equated to a 2.6 or 2.8 semester GPA in college, or thereabout. I don't know how I did specifically in highschool, GPA-wise, but I do know that I was in the top 25 percentile. I've always been modestly "above average", but never spectacular. I was "above average" enough to get through college, but not "above average" enough for entry to most graduate schools. I always manage to find just the right amount of effort to get about the same grade in any class, whether it's hard or easy. For some reason, I could never really strive for A's, but always settled for the easy B or C. Yay for ambition.

Tokki Wartooth
03-21-2004, 06:29 AM
You know what they say; friends don't let friends go to York.