PDA

View Full Version : The Grey Album

Agent Proto
03-12-2004, 10:40 PM
If you haven't heard, someone by the name of DJ Danger Mouse have made a remix CD that took the capella lyrics from Jay-Z's Black Album, and sampled music from The Beatle's White Album to make what's an unique turn at music.

However, EMI, the company claiming rights to The Beatles are saying that the DJ infringed copyrights of The Beatles to make this CD. I think that's quite wrong myself, seeing that this album is not meant to harm anything. It's taking music from two different eras and mixed them to make something which sounds unique. Anyway, here's a sample of what's being said about the album regarding the legal problems.

Late last year, a DJ named Danger Mouse took The Black Album by Jay-Z, mixed it with samples taken from the Beatles' White Album, and produced The Grey Album. He sent the album to a few folks and now -- blame the Internet -- everyone has a copy.

EMI, one of the big five record companies, parent of Capitol Records, and owner/controller of the Beatles musical catalog, sent Danger Mouse a cease-and-desist letter, claiming that he had infringed on their copyright of the Beatles tunes in question. (Jay-Z, on the other hand, released an a capella version of The Black Album so that precisely this type of sampling/remixing would occur.) Andy Baio and several other people posted MP3 copies of The Grey Album on their Web sites and were also sent letters by representatives of EMI ordering them to remove the songs from their sites.

Anyway, I have the album uploaded to my site, but I don't want to get too many people downloading from me, and I'm planning to take it down after awhile. So if you want to check it out, PM me regarding the album (Grey Album), and I'll share it with you. :)

Flying Mullet
03-12-2004, 10:41 PM
So what do you think of the musc on on the album?

Agent Proto
03-12-2004, 10:43 PM
The music is actually pretty neat. It's like listening to The Beatles with Jay-Z doing his stuff. The beats from The Beatle's music really fits well with the vocals.

Shoeberto
03-12-2004, 11:11 PM
I saw something about this on TechTV. The Beatle's label is the only one saying anything about it. Jay Z's label's been quiet.

It doesn't interest me much...neither of them have ever been my kind of music.

Bernhard
03-12-2004, 11:12 PM
I listened to it the other month and then again a couple of times yesterday. I'd have to say that it's a hell of a job he did, and I like the sound of it for the most parts. My favourite tracks are What more can I say, Encore, 99 Problems, Change Clothes and Allure. The problem is, as has it always been, that Jay-Z is probably one of the most uneven rappers today. I'll gladly admit that he can shine. He really has a way with words, and the fact that it never goes deeper than fancy word play doesn't bother me, when he does a good job, that is. Sometimes it's just so blunt, rough and simplistic that it's laughable. But as I said, when the man keeps his focus, it's great rapping. If I were him I'd happily be associated with this album. Very original stuff, and it even manages to be a good production at that.

fire_of_avalon
03-13-2004, 02:40 AM
This whole label thing bothers me. I'd like to see what Ringo and Paul think about all of this. I'm glad that DJ Dangermouse himself is being very mature and low key about the "scandal" though.

What I've heard sounds pretty nifty.

Meow
03-13-2004, 05:47 AM
i'm not a huge fan of Jay-Z. Bernhard makes an excellent point about his inconsistent lyrics; and rap in general usually just rubs me the wrong way, this being no exception. However, Brian Burton has here an album of wild creativity and powerful vision; a friend pointed me to a download site not too long ago and i was astounded with what i'd heard. It may not be the sort of music i'd sit down with on a daily basis, but it's very apparently the work of a strong talent.

i find it unfortunate to see EMI take such a narrow-minded perspective on <i>The Grey Album</i>. i can't see how they could plausibly fear lost sales over this album, which has sampled and edited <i>The White Album</i>'s instrumentation almost beyond recognition - competition would be negligible. So the only defense i can think they'd apply is the defense of their copyright on principle. And though i can understand this, it resonates with me - as a music consumer - far more negatively than not.

jrgen
03-13-2004, 09:41 AM
Well that was the suckiest idea of the year.

Dr Unne
03-13-2004, 04:59 PM
Someone needs to do something about stupid copyright laws. Eventually you're not going to be able to sing your mom Happy Birthday without paying someone a nickel.

Nait
03-13-2004, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by Dr Unne
Eventually you're not going to be able to sing your mom Happy Birthday without paying someone a nickel.

Especially seeing how Happy Birthday is copyrighted. :D Time Warner, anyone?

eestlinc
03-14-2004, 05:42 AM
it's not like he's selling the album

tomothy
03-16-2004, 05:48 AM
it doesnt seem like he tried to make the beats match the beatles samples at all... and the lyrics seem to be all ove the shop also.

but at the same time its kind of hypnotic and definetly interesting. i especially like "change clothes". (yet again, i don't know why)

definetly worth a look, don't like jay-z's voice though... :mad:

Thunday Man
03-24-2004, 04:40 AM
Jay-Z could probally beat up all teh Beetles at once.