PDA

View Full Version : Do you believe in the legend of the Amazons

darkchrono
03-13-2004, 05:05 AM
Do you believe in the stories and the legends of the warrior women known as the Amazons.

Is their proof that the stories that they defeated large armies on their own are true.

Do you believe the Amazons and the stories of the Amazons are mostly ficticious. Or are they mostly factual.

Zell's Fists of Fury
03-13-2004, 05:10 AM
I like the fact that there is not one question mark in that post.

LH
03-13-2004, 05:13 AM
Seriously. I'm unsure about the Amazons, but bad punctuation is for real.

Big D
03-13-2004, 05:21 AM
Why not? There were all kinds of intriguing cultures in bygone centuries; I'm sure there are a few history students here who could tell us for certain whether the Amazons were a real culture.

Shlup
03-13-2004, 05:21 AM
You guys are horrible. XD

No, I don't believe anything about any amazon women.

LH
03-13-2004, 05:33 AM
Originally posted by Big D
Why not? There were all kinds of intriguing cultures in bygone centuries; I'm sure there are a few history students here who could tell us for certain whether the Amazons were a real culture.

I can believe in them as far as I can believe in a group of big scary women, much like a femal body-building contest. It's likely that they existed, but most stories about them seem overblown and according to this (http://www.mnsu.edu/emuseum/prehistory/aegean/amazons/amazonwho.html) sometimes contradictary.

Del Murder
03-13-2004, 05:42 AM
I say mostly ficticious. What evidence besides legend is there that they are real.

darkchrono's topics may come from left field but at least they are original and better than crap like 'what's your shoe size'.

Dr Unne
03-13-2004, 05:52 AM
Most of Greek myth is fiction. There's a lot of myth which involves reversal of societal norms, for the purpose of venting off some steam or exploring some weird part of psychology or who knows what. Amazons are gender-reversal. Women in Greek society were inferior to men in all ways. It was shocking and abnormal to imagine women ruling a society, let alone fighting in wars, and the Greeks liked shocking and abnormal things.

Rainecloud
03-13-2004, 07:22 AM
(Mercifully changing from Unne's post)

We like snoo-snoo! And yes, I believe in the Amazons. Why? Because I choose to, and it sounds amusing.

Vandroiy
03-14-2004, 02:07 AM
Slightly off topic, but has anyone else here heard of the legend of the Lost Crusaders?

Supposedly, during the Russian Revolution, a small village in the Georgian Republic was apporoached one morning by a group of men on horseback. They were wearing chain armor, carrying swords and ancient firearms, and bearing the sign of the Cross. They said that they had heard that the Czar was at war, and wished to fight for him.

A traveller named Richard Halliburton heard the story years later, and decided to go exploring in the area. He supposedly found an isolated village in the mountains. The people living there claimed to have been descended from a party of Crusaders that had gotten seperated from the main force and gotten lost. They'd had very little contact with the outside world sice then due to the region being snowbound most of the year, and still preserved many of thier "old ways".

I don't really know too much of the story off the top of my head. I only ever saw one referance to it, in a book on European sword fighting arts. Supposedly, Richard Halliburton included a chapter on it in his book "Seven League Boots", which I've never actually read.

Montoya
03-14-2004, 04:09 AM
No, I don't really beleive in the Amazons. Never really heard about them.

Garland
03-14-2004, 06:28 AM
From what I understand, the Amazons might have been based on some cultures in the area of Lybia. For one thing, many depictions of Amazons on Greek pottery feature black women. The ancient Greeks, during the formative years of their civilization and onward had frequent dealings with Egypt, and would have second hand knowledge of some of the other cultures of Africa as a result. There are records of female warriors in some of the ancient African civilizations. The movie "Gladiator" played on this briefly in the famous chariot battle. Africa is one of the only places where societal concepts that were once thought only theoretical, such as polygany (a female having multiple husbands), matrilineage and matriarchy were practiced. It's not unrealistic to assume this knowledge would reach the Greeks, through trade networks and such. The Greek's natural propensity to create myths is probably what turned these female empowered African societies into the male-hating, warrior female Amazons we read about today.

Meat Puppet
03-14-2004, 07:24 AM
Between the time humankind started and now, I'm sure some grunty tribe of hairy women caught and slaughtered me, rightfully showing them who's boss.

Hell, if the Dodo was real, there's no questioning Amazons being ture.

Breine
03-14-2004, 10:34 AM
Unfortunately I think it's fiction... It would actually be really cool if they existed! :)