PDA

View Full Version : Evanescence

Rye
03-13-2004, 03:59 PM
Evanescence happens to be my favourite band of all time. They combine an amazing voice, good music, and beautiful lyrics (mostly written by Evanescence's Amy Lee herself) and make an memorable and awesome band. Amy Lee, the singer of the band, has one of the best and unique voices I've heard in a while. What's your opinion on Evanescence?

Heath
03-13-2004, 04:18 PM
Wasn't there a thread on Evanescence a few weeks ago... or months knowing my memory.

I really like Evanescence, with my favourite songs being Before the Dawn, Taking Over Me and My Last Breath.

jrgen
03-13-2004, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by Rye
(mostly written by Evanescence's Amy Lee herself)
:whoa:

Mikztsu
03-13-2004, 05:23 PM
Yeah, I like it. When I need to listen somewhat peaceful music, Evanescene is good.

fire_of_avalon
03-13-2004, 08:57 PM
Amy Lee's voice is very nice doctored up on the album, but have you heard her sing in real life? It's horrible, off key alto, and paper thin. It's nice to see a girl in a band, but hows about we all go think back and try to find a girl in a band who can really sing and not just moan about darkness?

Their music is ok, but what's gonna happen now that Ben Moody is gone?

Dingo Jellybean
03-13-2004, 09:02 PM
Yeah, her voice is only good with music, much like Utada Hikaru.

The only song I'm familiar with is Bring me To Life. It's not a bad song, I liked it...the only thing good associated with the Daredevil movie.

Lindy
03-13-2004, 10:45 PM
Eh, I used to like them, but now I find them very boring and just lacking in...substance and realism.

Originally posted by fire_of_avalon
It's nice to see a girl in a band, but hows about we all go think back and try to find a girl in a band who can really sing and not just moan about darkness?

P.S. Alison Goldfrapp of Goldfrapp, Andred Zollo of Pretty Girls Make Graves and Cerys Matthews of Catatonia.

They'll do, right?

Xander
03-13-2004, 11:25 PM
I like them lots now. Got a lot of their songs when Lindsey gave me all his music, and sorta fell in love with the album. My Immortal, and Hello are a couple of my favourite songs. Amy Lee's voice is just so...distinctive..and that's something that you don't get too often. And she's really pretty too. Yup, I like Evanescence =)

Mr. Graves
03-13-2004, 11:28 PM
I'm not big on the band, but they're more tolerable than alot of other popular bands out these days.

Jewels
03-13-2004, 11:59 PM
The're alright. I think I've got their CD somewhere around...

Emerald Aeris
03-14-2004, 12:07 AM
I don't like them. Amy Lee may have a good voice, but the band is, for the most part, unoriginal. Their music is just a combination of typical female singers meets Linkin Park. Their soft songs are just typical female lead songs. Their lyrics are so completely stereotypical teen poetry/angst they could be generated. Oh wait, they can (http://www.peeved.org/angst/am2020.html). I just wrote an Evanescence song. Neat.

Rye
03-14-2004, 12:36 AM
Though I don't agree that they're just typical angst, I am getting a kick of that angst modulater :) Thanks for making my day.

Tokki Wartooth
03-14-2004, 02:21 AM
Evanescence is on about the same level as Linkin Park. They are so overplayed and sold out that that that I don't even know what. But they suck horribly and I wish death upon them.

Shlup
03-14-2004, 02:34 AM
I can't help but like it at least a little bit.

escobert
03-14-2004, 04:07 AM
Im not into the girl singer stuff really. I dunno I can stand them just would never DL a song or buy the CD. Now AFI on the other hand :p

fire_of_avalon
03-14-2004, 04:49 AM
Originally posted by Lindz

P.S. Alison Goldfrapp of Goldfrapp, Andred Zollo of Pretty Girls Make Graves and Cerys Matthews of Catatonia.

They'll do, right?

:D

I don't know who the last one is, but I'll look it up.

AMY LEE CAN'T SING! NOW HUSH!

I like AFI better, even though people are fans because Davey Havok has long hair now. I like the punkier stuff they used to do.

Germ Hamee
03-14-2004, 09:12 AM
>.> Fire of Avalon, what were you smoking when you saw Ev live? Their TV performances usually aren't that great, I agree there... this is mostly because the band doesn't get a chance to warm up and get into the groove of things, and Amy completely loathes trying to rock out without a moshpit in front of her. But I've seen the band in concert... four times, and a few times on acoustic specials local radio stations hold. In concert, her voice is different from the album, mostly due to the jumping around and rocking out, but she manages it amazingly well. Acoustic she hits the album dead on. There is almost no difference at all. Please unplug your ears. I can understand not liking her voice, but the girl can sing, with amazing range (4th of July... :whoa: ), and that is a fact. :P

Anywhooooooo. Obviously I really like Evanescence. It's refreshing to hear such a versatile band with such a rich sound, and the amount of work they put into their music... *_* Every lyric, every guitar riff, every orchestration... wow. I agree their lyrics aren't always that great (Amy Lee herself has admitted she thinks the music on Fallen is immature and she's ready to move on to better things), but considering a majority of Fallen was written when they were teens, I think it's forgiveable. Give the band a chance to grow.

I'm excited now that they've finally finished touring and are working on their next album. I'm really interested in how the new stuff is going to sound, now with Ben gone, and the rest of the band being more involved in the music. Two of the members, if I understand correctly, were previously involved in some heavier rock bands, and we also have an ex-Cold member, with possible Wes Borland involvement with a few tracks... *can't wait*

Spatvark
03-14-2004, 09:47 AM
I haet haet haet haet what Evanescence have done with themselves to be honest. I really dislike Fallen (My Immortal is the perfect example of how they're ruining great songs), and Origin doesn't really do it for me, though it has some pretty good songs on it (i.e. a good version of My Immortal). To me, Evanescence are a milion times better acoustic without all the guitars and crap thrown in for no more reason that to sell the albums. I much prefer their mellow eps to their albums by a long shot.

Breine
03-14-2004, 10:42 AM
I really, really, like them. They're one of my favorite bands and I often find myself listening to their album. Amy Lee has a great voice, and it's very distinctive (is that spelled right?). Anyway, I'm really looking forward to their next album.

TheLion'sAngel
03-14-2004, 03:43 PM
I love Evanescence they appeal to the more Gothic and poetic side of me...plus the song "My Immortal" makes me cry all the time. I am a hopeless romantic and in my opinion their songs are all romantic and moody...a very good combination.

TTFN
Lion's Angel :mog: :choc:

jrgen
03-14-2004, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by TheLion'sAngel
the song "My Immortal" makes me cry all the time.
wuss

Rye
03-14-2004, 06:31 PM
That song is beautiful. And I don't think it's wussy. :P

Lindy
03-14-2004, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by Rye
That song is beautiful. And I don't think it's wussy. :P

Beautiful, maybe.
Boring, most certainly yes.

Germ Hamee
03-17-2004, 04:36 AM
Hmm. If you're an Evanescence fan, and play the piano, and are rich, this might be of interest to you...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3711911490

:( Unfortunately I'm poor.

Peegee
03-17-2004, 07:56 AM
I should listen to some now :p

Skogs
03-17-2004, 08:07 AM
Yawn. Evanescence are nothing new, nor original. Their music is tolerable, but I wouldn't spend any money on them.

Drizzt
03-17-2004, 04:54 PM
I like them,but their best songs are not in the album. They are rare and unedited, i believe.

My fav music would have to be either: My Tourniquet || Everything for you.

"Whisper" is also pretty amazing.

Germ Hamee
03-17-2004, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by Skogs
Yawn. Evanescence are nothing new, nor original. Their music is tolerable, but I wouldn't spend any money on them.

Holy crap! That is the most original and thoughtful opinion I've ever heard on Ev! :rolleyes2

People crack me up. XD Apparantly something has to be absolutely unique to be enjoyable. In that case there's nothing to be enjoyed...

Skogs
03-18-2004, 02:13 AM
Originally posted by Reyn
Holy crap! That is the most original and thoughtful opinion I've ever heard on Ev! :rolleyes2

People crack me up. XD Apparantly something has to be absolutely unique to be enjoyable. In that case there's nothing to be enjoyed...

:eep:

Maybe original isn't the right word. There has to be something that sets it apart from the rest of what's out there. Amy Lee's voice nearly does it, but doesn't succeed in carrying their music out of the depths of mediocrity.

Jiin
03-28-2004, 06:02 AM
they. are. beautiful.

TsZcRaIdEn17
03-28-2004, 08:13 AM
Yeah! I like evanescence a lot! especially bring me to life, tourniquet and my immortal!;)

Daryl
03-28-2004, 03:31 PM
I really like the acoustic version of My Immortal. When they started playing it on the radio ten times an hour with that electric stuff tossed in I was like, why did you have to do that to a song that stood so well with just the acoustic? The electric has grown on me a bit, but, meh...

Overall, I like 'em. *shrugs* I haven't heard the singer live, and as I probably never will, I'm not too concerned with how she sounds live. Heh.

muchacho
03-28-2004, 04:58 PM
didnt they just lose their lead guitarist?

yeah they are good, dont know if i would buy their album(id rather burn it)

Germ Hamee
03-28-2004, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by muchacho
didnt they just lose their lead guitarist?

Ben Moody left the band last October... he was the lead guitarist, producer, co-founder, co-writer.... blah, blah, blah. He's been since replaced by Terry Balsamo, formerly of Cold.

A lot of people think that the band's going to fall apart without him, but I think I'd have to disagree. Most of the negative points on the band (that I agree on) came from him. Over-producing, overtly basic guitar riffs, a pop/mainstream approach to writing... and from what I've read it was mainly his doing that the rest of the band were simply hired musicians.

Soo, he went off to help Avril Lavigne and Kelly Clarkson on their albums. Now Evanescence is actually a band (instead of Amy and Ben), and we'll hopefully be in for much nicer music to come.

Rye
03-28-2004, 08:41 PM
I agree with Reyn. If he wants to go be with Avril Lavigne, than so be it. I think Evanescence will stay together. They're an awesome band, and will stay that way.

muchacho
03-28-2004, 10:13 PM
DAMN YOU KELLY CLARKSON, DAMN YOU!!!!!!!!!!

anyway, i like the way that their music and amy's voice blend in together.

ChibiInuYasha
03-29-2004, 10:20 PM
Evanescence is deffinatly my fav. band. But why am I constantly hearing "Rip off of Linkin Park but w/ female lead" They are nothing alike. Linkin Park is more of the Rap + Rock mixed w/ Electric. I love Linkin Park and all but I mean, talk about teen angst? Listen to ALL of Linkin Park's songs compaired to Evanescence's deep poetic lyrics. Yeah, some songs seem kinda angst-y but Amy Lee's been through alot in her life and she reflects it through her music.

Wind Shear
03-30-2004, 12:21 AM
Opinion on Evanescence. Okay, it's one of my favorites. I like the way it plays the music.

Thunday Man
03-30-2004, 03:10 AM
I very much do not like them. I used to like and respect them, but now they are horrible to me for many reasons.

1.) Most people seem to think that its a chick band, when in reality there is only 1 girl in the band.

2.) The singer, Amy, is horrible. I heard them live once, and I almost killed myself she is so bad. She can't hold a note or pitch. Its pathetic

3.) Their music videos are terrible. Bring me to life one was bad enough, but the My Immortal one was even worse. Quit bitching and laying on your back the whole song. Worse it was in black and white.

4.) They were probally the most over played band last year. I'm so sick of them.

5.) Everyone in the band is so UGLY :p I think Amy and all of the other guys in the band are sick looking.

Germ Hamee
03-30-2004, 04:28 AM
...*stares at Thunder God Cid* You must be joking if those are your reasons for no longer liking their music. That's just... wow. The only valid point you mentioned was that you didn't like how Amy sings during live shows (which I can easily justify but I won't waste my time), and even so, not a single point had anything to do with their music.

I understand that singles being overplayed can get annoying, but that's only three (now four) songs out of the entire album...

Bleah. Shallow people sicken me.

Thunday Man
03-30-2004, 04:54 AM
People who judge people sicken me.

Because I don't like the way she sings, the way the make videos, the way they are over played, the way the look and the way others see them as makes me shallow?

Did I forget the fact that I used to like them, back when I only heard one of their songs? I hate everything else they have.

If you think im shallow for those reasons, your the shallow one.

Germ Hamee
03-30-2004, 05:17 AM
lol, you could have mentioned you don't like any of their songs but one in the first post. :P Duh.

Anyway. Not liking a band because you think they're ugly, you don't like their videos, people have misconceptions of them, or because they're successful and are played on the radio often is shallow, and frankly horrible reasons to not like a band.

If you're going to hate someone, bring up valid points. :P