PDA

View Full Version : Parts to a ship

Vaprice
03-14-2004, 04:20 AM
hello good people of the planet. I must ask for your help...

I need to know all the parts of a ship...or a good site that you can tell me...Im in desperate need.

Thanks you very much for your time, you have my htanks.

Enoki
03-14-2004, 04:49 AM
Specify the ship. (like it matters, i know nothing of any kind of ship)

Vaprice
03-14-2004, 04:54 AM
I mean like parts of a ship *british, pirate, spanish, french*

kinds of ships that were war ships back in the old days. With King henry, and that kinda stuff...or was it like king louis...meh.

What Im trying to say is mainly ships from like Pirates of the caribean. Ya know?

Enoki
03-14-2004, 04:58 AM
I just know the common sense stuff everybodys seen in the movies.

Mast
Sail
Stern
Bow
Cannon
Hull
That little wheel thing they use to steer with.
And in the case of a pirate ship a plank and cross bones flag.

Vaprice
03-14-2004, 05:00 AM
All right thanks. Can anyone or enoki tell me what the each thing is? I already know what sails, and the wheel, and the cannon is. Just forgot everything else.

Tokki Wartooth
03-14-2004, 05:34 AM
There's the tables on the deck. And the beds in the guest rooms. Oh and the pirate is on the deck too.

Meat Puppet
03-14-2004, 06:05 AM
A museum could probably help you. Are you going to build a ship?

Kirkpatrick
03-14-2004, 06:11 AM
The Mast is the big pole that sticks up from the boat, where the sails are attached.
The boom is the spar (big piece o' wood) that is attached to the bottom of the sails, that connects to the mast, and swings around a lot (and hits people in the head :p)
The Stern is the back of the ship, the Bow is the front.
"Starboard" is the right side of the ship when you are facing forward, "port" the left side. (It doesn't change when you face backwards though, if that makes sense)
The hull is basically the ship itself, the body that is in the water.
"Rigging" is a generic term for all the ropes and such that are strung up around the ship...
The Helm is another name for the the wheel (or anyplace that you steer a ship from)
What else is there....
Oh, the Bowsprit is the pole type-thing that sticks out from the front of the ship (old style ships only there pretty much)
If there's anything else you can think of, I may know it...

Edit: Typos galore.
Also, the triangular sail at the front of the ship is called the 'jib' (or foresail, but I like 'jib' :p)

Mikztsu
03-14-2004, 10:43 AM
Are you trying to build one?

Lol, does anyone remember how Angel was serious about him building a space ship? :laugh:

Meat Puppet
03-14-2004, 11:06 AM
I was going to build a space ship when I was 8, it consisted of a trailor, a barrel, a talking chainsaw and me and my brother pushing it making whizzing noises. Don't diss.

Vaprice
03-14-2004, 05:44 PM
Yeah, I was thinking about building my own. Yet I wouldnt have the patience to build something like a model boat from a british war ship, to a pirate ship. So thats why Im gonna go buy myself a really big model of one.

Oh and yeah is theres anything else you can think of then that'd help me alot.

:tongue: :p

Leeza
03-14-2004, 07:13 PM
Here's a site that has a lot of names for parts of a pirate ship. Scroll down that first page.

http://www.piratesinfo.com/fact/ship/parts.html

Vaprice
03-15-2004, 03:24 AM
thank you for that site.

If anyone else has any more sites or definitions and such, please tell me.

DocFrance
03-15-2004, 05:40 AM
Don't forget the poop deck. Hehehe... poop.

Calliope
03-15-2004, 05:48 AM
and the Crow's Nest!

Vaprice
03-15-2004, 10:39 PM
wow you guys are hilarious. Brilliant I say the "poop deck"

yeah and the crows nest was pretty obvious and thanks. Anything else, and that would be great.