PDA

View Full Version : Session 9

Bernhard
03-14-2004, 02:21 PM
I rented this yesterday for a much needed night in. And even though the box and the introduction to the film rather appealed to me, I had my doubts. Mainly because, in my opinion, it seems to be terribly difficult to make good films in this genre.
But they pulled it off surprisingly good. No excessive gore, no cheap scares, a rather original plot to work out the brain, more complex characters than usual, a fair amount of psychology, a lot of symbolism, and an ambigous ending. I liked it because didn't degenerate into a violent mess in the second half as that is usually the case. Something that somewhat strangely struck a chord with me was also the sound of birds when they were outside. Oh, and unlike 95% of all the thrillers/horror flicks I've seen, the last part of the film did not take place a stormy, rainy night. All of this might have something to do with the fact that its more or less a film made without any big studio involvement.
I strongly recommend it.

Oh, and it takes place in and around an old insane asylum. Not as cheesy as it sounds, I can assure you.

Yamaneko
03-17-2004, 10:00 PM
This is one of the greatest horror/thriller/whatever movies ever. I thought the plot was excellent. I enjoyed the alternate endings also.

Bernhard
03-17-2004, 11:30 PM
Yamaneko: I really liked how in the end of the film you found out that all the time that he had been talking to his wife, there wasn't even a battery in his mobile. Oh, and a question, as there seems to be two different takes on it: Do you think that Simon is a representation of something that resides in everyone, but only shows itself under special circumstances, or a demon that stayed at the asylum after Mary had died? I lean more to the former.

Three6Mafia
03-20-2004, 02:39 AM
i also enjoyed this movie.

BatChao
03-22-2004, 05:53 AM
I don't really remember this movie except for the ending, which I also agree was pretty neat. I don't remember the alternate ending either... but I know I saw it. I just know that I thought the movie wasn't bad. Wasn't great, but wasn't bad.