PDA

View Full Version : Wireless issues

-N-
03-14-2004, 06:37 PM
I'm on a wireless connection to a hub in our house, and there are spells where the wireless connection is broken. It happens, I suppose, but even when I'm sitting right next to the hub makes it a little fishy. In addition, when it re-detects the wireless connection, it doesn't automatically reconnect to it - it says "one or more wireless connections are available" and then I manually have to select the appropriate wireless network and reconnect to it. Is there anyway I can get it to automatically reconnect to it anytime this happens or better yet, not get it to arbitrarily disconnect? This phenomenon happens about every three minutes.

Baloki
03-19-2004, 06:53 PM
K, I can give this a stab in the dark for the mo, cos i deal with this kind of stuff in my job sometimes, but to get a better answer it might be worth posting what speed the hub is, are you using encyption and the types of Operating System (Windows) your using.

Reason 1 // You have placed the hub box to close to a source of interference, ie computer, tv, radio, washing machine, hair dryer. Try moving the hub box and see if that makes any difference.

Reason 2 // The speeds of the two different wireless connections are different and therefore are not connecting properly, this is very doubtful as usually it just doesn't connect full-stop.

Reason 3 // You have Encryption (WEP) enabled on the hub and not on the card/other computer. To fix this you will need to input the keys into the OS.

Reason 4 // You've been Warchalked, this means that several people are connecting to your wireless network and using all of your hubs bandwidth therefore cutting you off. To make sure it isn't this option activate Encryption.

Reason 5 // Dodgy Card. Either its broken, not in the slot or not installed properly. Try re-installing the card.

Reason 6 // Dodgy Hub. Either its broken, not in the slot or not installed properly. Try re-installing the hub.

Thats all I can think of at the mo, but a list of Operating Systems on the network and the speed should help make it clearer.