PDA

View Full Version : Music that you actually like BETTER than the last?

ChibiInuYasha
03-14-2004, 10:11 PM
I find the last two boss battle themes to be better than the Summon Battle and Yu Yevon Battle themes. And I like the Bevelle theme aswell. Other than that...blah.

Kupo
03-15-2004, 12:16 AM
Eh, I liked them all well enough... or I should say... I didn't dislike any of them enough to complain. I did kinda miss the trademark battle ending theme for the end of the random battles, but hey. :moggie:

Big D
03-15-2004, 12:48 AM
I missed Uematsu's distinctive style; many of the tunes in X-2 I found to be meaningless and poppish. But they're all of a good standard, and some of them particularly stand out - the jazzy arrangement of Real Emotion, for instance, that plays during the first fight with Leblanc (in her Yuna disguise), and at other times.

The actual songs - Real Emotion, 1000 words - are fairly plain, in my opinion. Nice lyrics, decent toe-tapping potential, but not nearly as catchy or distinctive as what Nobuo Uematsu might've written. Having said that, it's nice to know that SquareEnix aren't afraid to try something a little different now and then. Most of the whinging about X-2 is because they've dared to make something that's not a perfect photocopy of every other RPG from the last decade. I'm all in favour of originality!

Kupo
03-15-2004, 02:40 AM
Originally posted by Big D
Most of the whinging about X-2 is because they've dared to make something that's not a perfect photocopy of every other RPG from the last decade. I'm all in favour of originality!

True dat. I was glad to see a bit of a breakaway from tradition as well. Well said :moggie:

Mo-Nercy
03-15-2004, 06:53 AM
I liked the music in FFX-2. It's not Uematsu but it's still of very high standard. Real Emotion and 1000 Words are my favourite FF songs to date.

TheAbominatrix
03-15-2004, 06:58 AM
I totally agree with Big D, well said.

I loved Real Emotion and 1000 Words, but I've always been a sucker for a good J-pop song. As for the rest of the music... it was different. Some if it I really enjoyed, particularily the chocobo theme, some of it was just okay. It fit the fun bounciness of the game though.

ChibiInuYasha
03-16-2004, 01:43 AM
But my question is are there songs that you prefere over the last? Ex. "Do you like the new Luca theme better than the last?" or "Do you like 1000 Words better than Suteki Da Ne?"

Kupo
03-16-2004, 03:10 AM
Well.... I really don't think they are comparable. Each place's song fits well, in my opinion- depending on which game you are talking about. Suteki da ne was great for FFX, but would have felt out of place in the more upbeat FFx-2, and very much so vice-versa for a song like Real Emotion. And as I said before, I don't dislike any enough to complain, and I think that the music has evolved well to fit the lighter theme- but its hard for me to compare them to each other and pick one:moggie:

SeeDRankLou
03-17-2004, 07:59 PM
I like the Chocobo Theme is FFX-2 better, that song is very cool sounding.
I like the Victory Dance song better in FFX-2, and I'm so glad they finally changed that theme, at least for one game.
I like the Mt. Gagazet theme in FFX MUCH better than in FFX-2.

Other than that, what Kupo said. But if I had to compare them, I'd say it's about a 50/50 split. Thunder Plains better in FFX-2, Calm Lands better in FFX, ect ect.

Real Emotion is in a class of it's own. I don't know if it's fair to compare Suteki Da Ne with 1000 Words, simply because I can understand one and not the other. Suteki Da Ne was a beatuiful song and I enjoy it as background music for the scene it is in, but it's a song. If I were to listen to it by itself, it might as well be in Clingon (sp?) because I can't understand it, which is why I pick 1000 Words in this case. 1000 Words is also a beautiful song but wins on a technicality because I can actually understand the words. Maybe if I could understand the words to Suteki Da Ne it would be different, but as it stands I don't even know what the title means let alone the words to the song.

Ariel
03-17-2004, 09:53 PM
Overall, I definitely prefer the music in X. The music I've heard so far hasn't been terrible, but it hasn't been the kind of background/battle music I enjoy in RPGs. A few times I've actually muted it, because it's been a tad grating. <_<;;

The quality of the music in X-2 is just fine and dandy. I'm just not too big on overly upbeat style. *shrugs*

EternalBahamut
03-17-2004, 10:18 PM
I don't like the more pop music in this game but the background and theme music is very nice.

Penance99999
03-21-2004, 12:36 AM
I liked "Memories of waves and light". Its the first song you hear when you start the game. Not when Yuna is singing but when you first switch on the game after the FFX-2 project screen. Don't press any buttons and it will play.

That beat any peice of music I have heard in any FF.

BTW, I also like (FFX-2):

The Zanarkand theme (in FFX-2 and FFX)
Yuna's ballad
1000 words (piano version)

I didn't mind the pop music in X-2. It was original. It wasn't bad either.

aeris2001x2
03-22-2004, 01:49 PM
actually the ending battle music is VERY similar to the traditional i thought. despite it sounding like grandia 2 music...man i hated that game.

the songs are ok. the j pop is very good and i would definitly put it on cd. i like it enough to play it with my friends on a cd mixed in with death metal...i can just see the funny looks.

very little stands out though. maybe i,ll remember it more after my second play through. but it was no where near as bad as i had antcipated.

actually the intro piece is beautiful. but so was ffx intro and that had about 15 other genius songs.

DMKA
03-23-2004, 11:44 AM
I defenitely prefer the random battle theme on FFX-2. I do however miss my victory fanfare:cry:.

I really like both "Real Emotion" and "1000 Words", but they arn't comparable with "Suteki da Ne", simply because the songs and the moments and feelings in which they play just...arn't similar whatsoever.

I really think I would of liked it more if Nobou Ematsu did the music for FFX-2, but eh, all in all these new people didn't do horrible IMO (well, besides the music on the Celcius...UGH!).