PDA

View Full Version : If Squenix continued the "Visual Works" thing

ChibiInuYasha
03-14-2004, 10:20 PM
What if Squenix kept making "visual works" for IV, V, VI, VIII, IX, (skip X 'cause it's been done in a way, just in another form.) but you get the point...Just came out with a whole line of "Visual Works" Or they continued the Advent Children story with more "Visual Works"
Have I said "Visual Works" enough?
Visual Works, Visual Works, Visual Works!

DocFrance
03-14-2004, 10:55 PM
Visual Works?

ChibiInuYasha
03-14-2004, 11:46 PM
FFVII: Advent Children is being referred to as a "Visual Work" Instead of a movie or a game. Why? I don't know.

DocFrance
03-15-2004, 01:38 AM
Visual Works!

DJZen
03-15-2004, 02:24 AM
I think they might do it if Advent Children turns out to be profitable enough. I hope they don't though. Very few FF games left loose ends the way FF7 did. In FF4 everyone just becomes king of wherever they're from, except Kain who realizes that Cecil totally snaked him. FF6 had all of the characters's plots get resolved before Kefka's tower. In FF8, Squall gets saved by Rinoa's love (for some weird reason that never gets fully explained) and that's the end of that. I never saw the endings of the games I didn't mention, so I'll let someone else handle those, but there's really not much further story to develop there. In FF7, many conflicts are resolved before the end of the game, but when you beat the game, you have no idea what happened. It is alluded to early on that even if you stop meteor, everything will die. While the ending clearly shows that not EVERYTHING died, the fate of humanity is questionable. I have no idea how they're going to make a new story for the existing characters, or what role Sephiroth is going to play, but it's clear that they have something. Hopefully, it's not going to just be a stupid excuse to bring back popular characters in a money making effort.

Meow
03-15-2004, 09:12 PM
Visual Work, n: Well we sure ain't callin' it a "cash-in."

Advent Children probably succeeded on the corporate tables because FF7 was a huge success that, as DJzen mentioned, left enough loose ends that a plot continuation wouldn't seem out of place. From what i've heard, Advent Children doesn't actually do much for closing the game's story. But because FF7 didn't exactly find closure, people won't inherently reject the thought of a sequel movie on grounds of FF7 itself already having found a sort of completion.

None of the other games, so far as i know anyway, seem to have that. Their stories run their course, find their endings and close things up. Even if someone could find a decent springboard for a tangential sequel, it probably wouldn't find success because it wouldn't "fit" correctly; folks would feel the story was already far too "done."

Again, i don't have much experience in the full FF game spread. But from what i do know, Advent Children seems a special case. i doubt the other games will get story extensions.

DocFrance
03-16-2004, 02:32 AM
Originally posted by Blanco Meow
None of the other games, so far as i know anyway, seem to have that. Their stories run their course, find their endings and close things up. Even if someone could find a decent springboard for a tangential sequel, it probably wouldn't find success because it wouldn't "fit" correctly; folks would feel the story was already far too "done." *ahem* FFX-2? Although, I can't really see how the ending of FFX was open-ended. At all.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
03-16-2004, 03:37 AM
Yeah, story integrity would be the last thing to keep sequels from emerging; FFV's ending was as conclusive as could be, but we still have Legend of the Crystals. Not that I'm complaining.

DJZen
03-16-2004, 03:40 AM
Well, the argument could also just as easily be made that everything got wrapped up by the time FF7 was over. we know everyone's full story and purpose, and their inner conflicts all get resolved. All of them. Meteor is stopped and the world is saved. I'm beginning to think maybe there aren't that many loose ends after all.