Erdrick Holmes
03-16-2004, 02:48 AM
What?

RSL
03-16-2004, 02:49 AM
What?

Del Murder
03-16-2004, 02:51 AM
What he's trying (and failing) to say is, Do people understand you? Also, what is your opinion on the phenomenon of teen angst?

I'm going with no, though I hardly undterstand myself so maybe they do a better job.

I find it quite amusing that teenagers complain about not being understood, like they know something adults don't, yet, upon becomming an adult, they forget all about it.

*takes away a gold star from Linus*

Erdrick Holmes
03-16-2004, 02:54 AM
People don't really understand me because I have a short temper and people can never guess why I'm pissed all the time.

Calliope
03-16-2004, 02:59 AM
People don't understand me because I am too vague and reluctant to communicate well.

Angst is overrated.

Shlup
03-16-2004, 03:00 AM
No one can understand anyone entirely. No big fuss.

Phil
03-16-2004, 03:01 AM
I think some teens use the "its a teen thing" to their advantage. They may be mean and say its a hormonal teen mood swing, when they're really just being jerks. I get short tempered with my parents some times and they always complain to the psychiatrist and he says its a "normal teen experience". Whatever you say doc, as long as I dont get in trouble :D

DocFrance
03-16-2004, 03:06 AM
Originally posted by Del Murder
I find it quite amusing that teenagers complain about not being uderstood, like they know something adults don't, yet, upon becomming an adult, they forget all about it. Tell me about it. I turned 20, and I magically became happy, and every trace of confusion was lifted from my being. Quite odd, if you ask me.

TheAbominatrix
03-16-2004, 03:08 AM
Angst is stupid. Teenagers think they're more deep and complicated than they really are. I certainly did.

Calliope
03-16-2004, 03:14 AM
It's cos everything is "new".

Bahamut2000X
03-16-2004, 03:15 AM
YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND ME AT ALL!!! I HATE YOU!!!! *slams door*

Umm ya but as for understanding me, I don't think anyone does, then again I am sort of freaky and all weird like and most people stay away from me, maybe that's why? Meh.

Flying Mullet
03-16-2004, 03:24 AM
If it's important to me I take the time to make sure that people understand why I feel the way I do.

Tokki Wartooth
03-16-2004, 03:40 AM
:linkin park: :linkin park:

Dr Unne
03-16-2004, 04:03 AM
Pain is pain. Being a teenager is rough. Made more so by hormones, and amplified by being around other teenagers on a daily basis who for the most part also are having a rough time. I don't think teenagers should be scorned for complaining about it once in a while. I don't think teenagers should be scorned for not being able to handle it like an adult. If they could, then they'd be adults. They aren't adults.

Not to say being a teenager gives you a right to unlimited pity. There's a point where it becomes ridiculous. But I think that point is a long ways from where a lot of people seem to start to scorn teenagers for "angst".

HOOTERS
03-16-2004, 04:09 AM
Teeneagers are stupid dumb little cry-babies who should be ostrasised from the community along with ostriches and by ostrasised I mean deaded. As of April 20th.

Erdrick Holmes
03-16-2004, 04:10 AM
I wanna freaking hurry up and turn 20, Im 19 and I still feel like im 16, and my hormnial imbalince as worse as ever, I keep getting mad about nothing or sad when good things happen.

DJZen
03-16-2004, 04:19 AM
There's a lot of social conditioning that goes into that too. We're not taught in our culture that being happy and cheerful is cool. Rockstars aren't happy, rockstars hate their parents. Cool characters in movies curse a lot and enjoy beating the tar out of people. I think though that the worst thing about being a teenager for me was feeling like people wanted me to take on all kinds of crazy new responsibilities while not giving me any sorts of cool new liberties or thinking I had anything to say worth hearing. When I look back on it I can see why, I always had a very short fuse, but I still wanted people to listen and felt like they'd rather treat me like a kid. Now that I'm 21 I feel like I have things that I want to say and people don't really think my thoughts have any truth to them, but instead of blowing up I just try to explain them in more lengthy drawn out ways. For example, I could have made this post MUCH shorter. :D

When I hear teen angst now, though, it really annoys me. A lot of the arguments I hear from the <18 crowd tend to be based on "'cause I said so! You never listen! You hate me! I hate you!" We all have those feelings, but it's not the most wise voice to listen to.

Mr. Graves
03-16-2004, 04:43 AM
If you say the wrong thing to me, I'll slit my wrists. You're all like my parents, you just don't get it. And that's why I contemplate suicide so much. It's just so hard. Don't waste your time figuring me out, it's just so hard. ;_;

Anyway, no angst for me growing up. The only time I had angst at all was during my senior year of HS. That was because I had a bunch of changes going on, and I had trouble coping, like the divorce of my parents. And, no one really understands me too well, but I really don't stress over it too much. I don't think there's much understanding to be had with an individual person, but you can understand people as a whole pretty well. The more you focus on a specific person, the less clear the picture gets. Ah, the wonders of individuality, eh?

Meat Puppet
03-16-2004, 04:46 AM
She said no :'(:'(:'(:'(

Yamaneko
03-16-2004, 05:24 AM
People understand me. :)

My cat doesn't understand me, though. :(

Shoeberto
03-16-2004, 03:10 PM
<font color="#009999">
Josh lost a star :(:(:(:(:(

LH
03-16-2004, 03:26 PM
If people don't understand you, you're around the wrong people, plain and simple. I had this realization yesterday morning in the shower. And no, I don't mean that if your parents yell at you for bad grades or a messy room and you yell, "NO 1 UNERST4NDS MEE!!!11" that they're horrible people and you should ignore them forever. Most of the time your parents will have their best intentions in mind when dealing with. At least mine, so I can trust them not to screw me over. Other relations, like friends and girlfriends need to be examined closely and scrutinized. I can say that most of my friends are bringing me down and simply don't care.

Of course in human relations you'll find that no one person can understand you and how you work fully. What's important is the desire to understand and listening to what you have to say, no matter how foreign or odd your thoughts may seem to the person listening. A friend told me that a few weeks ago and it was extremely comforting as well as true.

Needless to say I had my fair share of angst, believe me. What's odd is that most of it was when I was 18 1/2 to right around 19 1/3. Or rather, it was more well-defined and deeper than something as stupid as parents yelling because I did this or didn't do that.

m4tt
03-16-2004, 03:28 PM
Sucks to be you!

Rainecloud
03-16-2004, 03:52 PM
To continue along with the common theme: What?!

Del Murder
03-16-2004, 06:00 PM
18 and 19 are still teen years, so you are still subject to not knowing who you are or what you want. I know I didn't.

Fuzakeru
03-16-2004, 06:16 PM
In my eyes most teens say 'NO one understands me!' because they like the idea that their angst filled world is more horrible then everyone else's.
I draw this conclusion from my friends who seem to compete to see who has the worst life. I'm being serious, this was a conversation two of my friends had.

Lacey - "I don't like sharing this but when I was younger I was raped." -goes in to long really sad life story ( and yes, it is really sad ) -
Bruce - "Yeah? That's too bad." -silence- "You know, I was drunk once and I raped a girl."

. . . I'm not joking. It pissed me off sooooo bad.
Also, I'm sorry but I have low tolerance for the "I'm all alone in this world," attitude. Stop thinking older people don't have a tough time to and try talking to them maturely and learn from their mistakes and life lessons.
Stop thinking your life is the worst out there cause everyone has had rough spots in their lives . . .

Yamaneko
03-16-2004, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by Del Murder
18 and 19 are still teen years, so you are still subject to not knowing who you are or what you want. I know I didn't.
I say it lasts until 25 years of age. That's what my brothers have proven.

Ariel
03-16-2004, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Calliope
People don't understand me because I am too vague and reluctant to communicate well.

Yes. And I can be very inarticulate when I have to discuss feelings-type-things openly, anyway. *_*

Teen angst is normal for most people, I guess? All of those hormones tend to make problems seem bigger than they really are. I'm glad I haven't spent my teenage years wallowing in the same 'life is ultimately meaningless' depression that some of my friends have. =\

Peegee
03-16-2004, 09:38 PM
Lacey - "I don't like sharing this but when I was younger I was raped." -goes in to long really sad life story ( and yes, it is really sad ) -
Bruce - "Yeah? That's too bad." -silence- "You know, I was drunk once and I raped a girl."

. . . I'm not joking. It pissed me off sooooo bad.

It's definite: women like men who are liars.

--

I never had teen angst. I had the angst of being a young adult who slowly realised that he didn't take a step forward in life ever since he turned...I don't know, six; thirteen; something. Whatever. Angst happens because you're too imbecilic to deal with your life in a manner that atrophies your problems. It happens because of you, not other people. It's not society's fault -- It's yours. Deal with it, fix it, or stop complaining without acting. :rawr:

Heath
03-16-2004, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by HOOTERS
Teeneagers are stupid dumb little cry-babies who should be ostrasised from the community along with ostriches and by ostrasised I mean deaded. As of April 20th.

I love you too. And it's rather unwise to base opinions on teenagers on a whole on someone like me. Much love.

Kirobaito
03-17-2004, 12:03 AM
Nobody really DOES understand me. But that's intentional. I don't want them to. I don't talk to anyone about my problems, thus it's not teen angst, because it's TRUE.

Fuzakeru
03-17-2004, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by Moo Moo the Ner Cow It's definite: women like men who are liars.

No. Women just seem to like guys who are really stupid.

Originally posted by Moo Moo the Ner Cow It's not society's fault -- It's yours. Deal with it, fix it, or stop complaining without acting. :rawr:

:love:

EternalBahamut
03-17-2004, 10:35 PM
It is kind of hard for someone to understand you when you do not completely understand yourself.

black orb
03-18-2004, 02:08 AM
>>> My brother is an angst teen and he rules!..

Jewels
03-18-2004, 03:07 AM
Do people understand me? Some of my friends do. They understand the wacky side of me. Not sure if they understand me in a more emotional level...

Kami
03-18-2004, 04:21 AM
I am a teen, therefore I am angsty. Actually... I'm not really angsty but kind of bubbly. And then fustrated. Err.... yeah. Then sad. but then bubbly. Am I making sense?

Originally posted by Linus
<b>NOBODY UNDERSTANDS ME</b>
*pet linus* s'okay linus baby. Here have a cookie.

Adeselna
03-18-2004, 10:31 AM
I knoe what you're feeling, nobody lunderstands me, too.
Specially my parents!
Actually they forbidden me to come to this forum, but I don't like them to phorbidden me! ;)
I know BAD GIRL!:p

War Angel
03-18-2004, 12:32 PM
Meh, people don't understand me 'cause I'm demented.

And teen angst, when it's constant... is a terribly annoying thing. But, you know, being a teenager, starting your life, hormones and $hit... it's pretty rough. So, you get these strange moods. But, as long as you're not a complete beeyotch and let your emotions control you, you'll be okay. It's okay to have a bad mood, but slitting your wrists is a bit extreme. Having the rational thinking of 'everything has an end, be it bad or good', is a good think to keep in mind. When you're down, you're down. Take your time, deal with it, and go back to your life.

Some people complain, some don't. From my experience, those who go through the most terrible things and have the hardest lives - don't complain, and are usually pretty reluctant to speak of their woes.

KingAlces
03-18-2004, 05:00 PM
I find it amusing that with all this discussion, the originator of this thread has not yet responded to any of the comments. Nobody will understand him if he doesn't explain what he was talking about in the first place.

Lamia
03-18-2004, 05:13 PM
No one understands me because they think it's weird when I have tremors. Dumbasses, havent you heard of PANIC DISORDER? Stop calling me a weird and crazy for it.

Chaos
03-18-2004, 10:31 PM
I can say not many people understand me. But thats cos I don't explain myself. No-one can be expected to understand me just by looking at me.

Anyway, I don't often have the whole angst thing going on. So I have that to be thankful for. In fact, I try to be a sunny optimist amongst all my friends' 'life sucks' mantras.

Yay..

Chaos

Drizzt
03-18-2004, 10:39 PM
It's not society's fault -- It's yours.

"Se é feliz com pouco, se se senta no chão, dizem k está louco, não tem ambição.
Você tem razão em sentir-se perdido, não é você não que está deprimido. É o mundo lá fora que vive outra vida, sem saber quando você está de partida."

-Rui Veloso, cd: Lado Lunar, musica - Lagos de Cristais

I don't quite agree, but I don't disagree either.

Ultimate_Sandwich
03-18-2004, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by LadySteph
Women just seem to like guys who are really stupid.

This is true. Why? Most women are really stupid. And virtually everyone aged 13-17 these days is an absolute imbecile/moron/DUMBASS, thug, media-created, manipulated, impressionable, identity-less freakin' IDIOT, it drives me nuts. I blame the horrid dumbing down of the media, particularly television, where they realize most people have become stupid, so they market stupidity making the stupid even stupid... er. Of course, I'm referring to no one on this board *save!* but it creates burning rage within me.

Angst? I had that. Still do a little. I'm at the turning point where I realize it doesn't matter if people understand me, because I have no future. And people still won't understand me. I'm at the end of my teenage years, and being an adult looks to be much worse.

*patiently awaits death*

fire_of_avalon
03-19-2004, 12:33 AM
I never did that. At least I don't remember it. I don't like people who do. Boo them.

Kirobaito
03-19-2004, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by Ultimate_Sandwich
This is true. Why? Most women are really stupid. And virtually everyone aged 13-17 these days is an absolute imbecile/moron/DUMBASS, thug, media-created, manipulated, impressionable, identity-less freakin' IDIOT, it drives me nuts. I blame the horrid dumbing down of the media, particularly television, where they realize most people have become stupid, so they market stupidity making the stupid even stupid... er. Of course, I'm referring to no one on this board *save!* but it creates burning rage within me.

Exactly. I hate kids. They listen to this crap music, and watch this crap television (FOX) and it ruins their lives. That's why I watch nothing but sports on TV, and only listen to Country Music, which doesn't pollute your mind with heathen topics.

Kami
03-19-2004, 01:21 AM
I watch Dave the Barbarian! I <3 that show! But really, not everyones like the stereotypical angsty teen. Some people have a reason to be angsty. Like me! *tries to open a pickle jar* why won't you (*$#*&$@$&(*&#* open!?!?!?!

o_O
03-19-2004, 08:03 AM
I'm not angsty. I never was. I don't believe a single person truly understands me. That's not a bad thing.

I'm sick of teenagers using the "nobody understands me wtf lolz *cry*" act to get things. Quite frankly, I don't care if nobody understands them; it's not my problem. :p

I like being un-understandable.

Jack
03-19-2004, 11:34 AM
Well a lot of my friends think I'm teenage agsty (Am I?) But what they fail to realise I've always been moody, even before I was a teenager and probably will always be. And for one, i never say I HATE YOU! For the first time, in my life I feel loved and liked by people. And i've always been different to people simply cause I was only brought up by my mother, and had no male relevence in my life so I'm very feminene. Even at Primary School I was and people pissed me off then cause i'd say something and they'd look at me weird.
And thats the general. My Mum understands me, my Grandad tries to, my friend Joe understands me. So I'm not really that agsty. I never slam doors though.

Thanks. My identity is me, and everyon takes alittle from the people around them so essentially we arn't ORIGINAL which annoys me when people say they are and people go "cool". ITS NOT COOL. I'm original because WE ALL ARE. And you don't need to create a identity using clothes and money, create it yourself. I did, and I'm happy cause I'm not trying to be something. I don't care that my parents don't buy everything, that I buy my own stuff. And TV, I hardly watch TV. Only comedy programmes, but never CBBC. That makes me want to kill people. :D

And teen angst, when it's constant... is a terribly annoying thing. But, you know, being a teenager, starting your life, hormones and $hit... it's pretty rough. So, you get these strange moods. But, as long as you're not a complete beeyotch and let your emotions control you, you'll be okay. It's okay to have a bad mood, but slitting your wrists is a bit extreme. Having the rational thinking of 'everything has an end, be it bad or good', is a good think to keep in mind. When you're down, you're down. Take your time, deal with it, and go back to your life.

Agreed. Never slit wrists, but did try to commit suicide. But with pills, and I talked my way out and thought how much I'd miss out on, and no matter how much my life was, i could get away one day. So i threw them away and smiled. That was 2 years ago (I'm 16) and I'm happier than ever. I still deal with crap not taht well with my behavior fluctuating quite often. I'm working on it though, and I aim to be better next year.

If people don't understand you, you're around the wrong people, plain and simple. I had this realization yesterday morning in the shower. And no, I don't mean that if your parents yell at you for bad grades or a messy room and you yell, "NO 1 UNERST4NDS MEE!!!11" that they're horrible people and you should ignore them forever. Most of the time your parents will have their best intentions in mind when dealing with. At least mine, so I can trust them not to screw me over. Other relations, like friends and girlfriends need to be examined closely and scrutinized. I can say that most of my friends are bringing me down and simply don't care.

Not true, none really knows anyone, not even themselves. My friends don't understand be greatly, but that may be cause I don't want them to. My mum may shout, but she does understand me. I mmay feel she is unfair sometimes, but I live with it cause shes my mum and the greatest person I have ever (and will) meet. I mean, how can't I be appreciative to someonme who has raised be through all the bad things dealt by the world and loved me always, paid for my life, made me food and all? Whoever syas thats needs a slap. Most parents are great and we need to understand what they go through. i certainly wouldn't raise any child like my mum did despite all the things that are wrong. I would have given up, but she didn't. Teens who slag their parents off (Except those who have reasons like me and my Dad) just cause they are strict are pathetic.

I think some teens use the "its a teen thing" to their advantage. They may be mean and say its a hormonal teen mood swing, when they're really just being jerks
I know. I know I have mood swings, but always apoliguise later, and never blame the mood swing. Its' hard to use it to my advantage, cause people avoid me if I do, so I try not to get angry, and If i am inside, I keep it inside by staying silent.