PDA

View Full Version : home again

Stayin Dizzy
03-16-2004, 09:57 PM
It's been awhile...

This has been my dominating thought ever since I got here. I've spent the last year and 1/2 in FL (and the last 3 months in SC) and finally I've come home....to Michigan. Sure it's cold, but man does it feel good to see family and friends again. Things wern't working out after my move from FL, so I came back home with the parents. On the plus side I've gotten 3 job offers since coming home, but after living on your own for 4 years it's weird to come and live with your parents again.

So have you ever spent a long time from home and then come back? How did you feel? Or if you've never left home, how do you think you would feel to just up and move to a different state right now, and have to start a new life on your own?

Flying Mullet
03-16-2004, 09:59 PM
It's kinda wierd to leave for any length of time and come back. People and places change. You don't really think about it at all until you're gone for that first time, but then you get hit with nostalgia and you think about how much really has changed even when you are home. :(

Dr Unne
03-16-2004, 10:03 PM
I'm in pretty much exactly the same situation. Lived on my own for four years, now back at home. I don't really enjoy it, but sometimes such things are necessary.

Del Murder
03-16-2004, 11:03 PM
Yeah I left for four years. Nothing's really changed.

Skogs
03-16-2004, 11:14 PM
Well, that depends on how you define home. If home is where you're born - I've been away from there for fourteen years. My parents have just moved back, but before they did, I left to go to university. I'll get back to Melbourne at some point, definitely, though.

DMKA
03-17-2004, 01:57 AM
Yeah, I've been away from Cali for 3 and 1/2 years...gaaaah. My one family member I get along with and care about is there (my sister), and I haven't seen her in that time.

Now, as far as leaving away from all forms of family then coming back, well, thats what happened with me when I went to boot camp (6 weeks), and I hate it here 100% more than I did before, and everyone seems to treat me ten times as s**tty as they did before I left. Nothing feels good about returning to my family...at all, and being back in this crappy place called Oklahoma just makes it worse. I'd rather be homeless on the streets of LA then live in Oklahoma. Everyday its just another hollerfest of how stupid and worthless I am, and such. Lovely, ya?

Reason
03-17-2004, 02:27 AM
I haven't moved back home, and I'm not going to either, but I visit home every other month, and yes; it's weird.
Last time I came home it felt like the house had shrunk, and I felt like I didn't belong there anymore. It was sort of sad.

Todie
03-17-2004, 02:36 AM
While most college kids get to go home for breaks, I didn't because I was in LSU's Tiger marching band. This meant that I wasn't able to go home for Thanksgiving because of a football game. But I did also spend my fall break out in Colorado with my boyfriend instead of going home to see my family and friends. Being so far away from home eventually got to me. I couldn't just drive home either. I'm in Louisiana now and I'm originally from northern Virginia.
I was away from home for about 4 1/2 months. I was overjoyed to get home but it was also weird. My mom had switched my room with my brother, moved other rooms around and gotten a hot tub. It was kinda strange for a few days! Home also got rather old and I began to miss LSU. I've discovered that home is where the heart is. I know that's cliche but it's true. I'm happy wherever I go. Maybe it's because I've spent my entire life in Virginia and I want to see more places. Who knows.......

Meow
03-17-2004, 05:31 AM
As a college student, i never know what to make of this. On the one hand, there's home back in Cincy: home in the traditional sense. But then, i also feel like i've carved out a strong "home" here in Louisville. This is where i find my closest friends, my school life, my bed, all the things that far more strongly define home than a birthplace. But then, i also don't have one of the single strongest: family.

Both are nice. i can also feel out of place at either from time to time, but all things considered, i'm just glad to have two places in which to feel comfortable.

eestlinc
03-17-2004, 07:45 AM
When I went back to Cincinnati for New Years it felt like returning home, despite the fact that I only lived there for the previous five years. When I came back to Atlanta this past August it felt more like a defeat than anything else.

Misfit
03-17-2004, 11:38 AM
So have you ever spent a long time from home and then come back? How did you feel?
Yep. Nothing changed, really. *shrugs* Except that I left for a week and forgot to leave some food out for the lawn gnomes... so they all died. ;( It was a very depressing day.

Rainecloud
03-17-2004, 09:43 PM
I hate leaving my home, even if it's only for a few days. When I'm on holiday, I tend to long for my own bed, my own room and my own computer after about three days. Some say I'm addicted to the Internet. They're probably right.

EternalBahamut
03-17-2004, 10:26 PM
I had not been home for over three years and went back for a week. Everything looked the same but everything was different. All my old friends from highschool were gone, tones of new people and just generally felt weird. However, it did feel great to be back in my old room.